Eric the Fall Guy

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

Well, however you slice it, MoviePass as we know it is dead. They've finally been forced into operating as a true business, and at this point they have to hope residual subscription renewals keep them afloat long enough that they can rebrand themselves as surely the name is way too tarnished now.

I think there's potential in a subscription model that is focused on indie films, assuming that giving them more attention is truly their primary goal. Divorced of the baggage of being formerly $10 for any movie, I think there is an audience that would go for that and keep it profitable.

Edited by tribefan695

$15/month, releases with under 1000 locations, and wider releases after the first 2 weeks is still a good deal. Frankly that's what it should have been from the start. And if they negotiated seat restrictions as well I bet they could have gotten lower prices from exhibitors for the less desirable seats in the theaters that don't sell well if at all.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MattW said:

$15/month, releases with under 1000 locations, and wider releases after the first 2 weeks is still a good deal. Frankly that's what it should have been from the start. And if they negotiated seat restrictions as well I bet they could have gotten lower prices from exhibitors for the less desirable seats in the theaters that don't sell well if at all. 

their word is not good, i could see Disney films being 4 weeks later. Last weekend all movies had $8 surges, even for Matinees. If that was their here model when they started they probably could have worked deals with distributors and theaters, now there brand is tarnished and everybody wants them to go away now.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DAR said:

So what movies can you see if you still Moviepass?

It's weird because it alternates and fluctuates throughout the day. I saw Won't You Be My Neighbor? today at around 2:15 (amazing movie btw go watch it), and before the show starts, the only thing at that theater that also had showtimes available were 3 Identical Strangers, Deadpool 2 (yes, it's still playing here for some reason), and The Spy Who Dumped Me. But then, when I got out of the theater at around 4, the rest of the showtimes for every other movie all appeared as if by magic...still can't see M:I or Christopher Robin tho. That's been happening consistently throughout the past couple of days.

1 hour ago, MrGlass2 said:

That may be higher than the real number, but the effect was probably significant.

Yeah I would imagine they would say if 6% of the movie ticket were bought via MP that 6% of the box office can be traced back to it (even in the scenario that  most of those ticket would have been bought without it)

At my local AMC they had Mama Mia2, TTGttM and TSWDM all available to watch last night. MM2 and Titans has the surge pricing but Spy didn’t!? So my wife and I went and saw Spy. 

MI was still blocked out but we went and saw it on Tuesday because it’s $5 all day at AMC so we were like, fuck it! Lol

Probably going to cancel before it goes up to $15/month and just sign up for 3 Stubs A-list memberships instead. I know it’ll be $60 a month but even just 2 movies in Prime would make it worth it. 

2 minutes ago, Darth Homer said:

Cancelled my account but still have 5 days left on my billing cycle so I'm hoping I can use it to see Eight Grade today. Wonder how many subscribers they've lost in the last week. Got to be thousands if not tens of thousands, right?

At this point everyone's just waiting for them to go under completely. The writing is on the wall that they won't be around for much longer.

You know what's most amusing. Is there were people who said this would go under after half a year at the start of 2018. Then about half a year in, a group of people got really smug and called that first group wrong, and that Moviepass was going to stay.

And now...well...yeah.

Edited by RandomCat
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Warning for all that Sinemia is absolute garbage too.  Don't even consider it.

I tend not to trust most products that have "As Seen On:" as a major promotional gimmick on their site.

Cinemark deal is better, at least those roll over, and 20% off on snacks with no online booking fee.

• Like 2