Eric Loves Rey

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

12 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Moviepass told Wall Street Journal they will go down to 3 movies per month limit

So, that's Sinemia...although if they still don't let you go day 1, they are worse than Sinemia, unless they pay all online ticket fees (which seems to be the Sinemia issue) and allow much easier pre-booking...

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

a-yup. Sorry we tried to gouge you and screw you over, we were wrong, please don't go to other platforms. We're sorry we wanted to create a surcharge the price of the ticket for basically any movie showing past 2 P.M.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

So, this is interesting...they are forcing out the heavy users, now probably into AMC's plan and telling AMC to take the losses...which AMC may be happy to do, if it's getting all the full price tickets from Moviepass...

However, they have definitely made themselves vulnerable to both Sinemia (and probably a lawsuit from their annual pass members, b/c I'm not sure they protected themselves that well with the terms of those contracts)...but they have a chance at being sustainable now, b/c most of the lower users will likely miss a movie or two in some of their months...and they've now effectively purged all high users...

The box office market place will probably be very happy with this development b/c this means folks are back to $3/movies, and that seems to be a price that moves people to theaters (I'd say $3-$5 seems to be the magic number to move ticket goers to movies, seeing the popularity of these passes and $5 cheap Tuesday)...

1 minute ago, RandomCat said:

a-yup. Sorry we tried to gouge you and screw you over, we were wrong, please don't go to other platforms. We're sorry we wanted to create a surcharge the price of the ticket for basically any movie showing past 2 P.M.

2 PM? They even had surcharges for movies at 9 in the morning. :hahaha:

Glad I didn't panic and just cancel. Granted things are still in flux but seeing 3 movies a month for $10 is still a bargain. Surge pricing gone. Photo of tickets gone. Need to see if all showtimes are back and platform actually work next time I go to use it. 

I bought a ticket to Hotel Trans3 and just jumped into Mission Impossible so, you're welcome Sony, sorry Paramount. 

The way AMC A*list is going to actually make them money is by enticing you to buy a drink. Giving you little coupons, free upgrades on popcorn/drinks. It's still over priced, but odds are still in favor that you're likely to buy a drink or popcorn if you walk into a theater, so if AMC can get you in more often, to spend 10+ on a drink and popcorn, they don't care if they loose a little on the ticket price.

• Like 1

So basically, the only benefit to a MoviePass over an A-List is that you aren’t theater locked (I assume)

Meanwhile, A-List lets you get 3 tickets a week (and stack them on the same movie), concession discounts, reserved seating, Dolby/IMAX option, and there’s not the worry of them randomly changing their rules and pricing model every day like MP does.

6 minutes ago, Pandamia! said:

So basically, the only benefit to a MoviePass over an A-List is that you aren’t theater locked (I assume)

Meanwhile, A-List lets you get 3 tickets a week (and stack them on the same movie), concession discounts, reserved seating, Dolby/IMAX option, and there’s not the worry of them randomly changing their rules and pricing model every day like MP does.

Well, it's also $10/month cheaper...so the bennie is if you see movies a lot, go with AMC...if you only see movies 1x/week (and you usually are too busy one weekend) or have no convenient AMCs (an issue for many), get Moviepass or Sinemia, b/c they seem to now be in direct competition on movie amounts and price:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Well, it's also $10/month cheaper...so the bennie is if you see movies a lot, go with AMC...if you only see movies 1x/week (and you usually are too busy one weekend) or have no convenient AMCs (an issue for many), get Moviepass or Sinemia, b/c they seem to now be in direct competition on movie amounts and price:)...

I just have no interest in doing business with a company that doesn’t seem stable and feels like it’s trying to scam.  Would never get a MoviePass under their same leadership now after all those shenanigans they were trying to pull.

I’m waiting on an AMC though too because I have one year left of undergrad and my college doesn’t have an AMC close.  Which is why the theater locked thing probably is the only disadvantage to it.

Edited by Pandamia!
  • Like 5

What makes AMC more desirable that Moviepass or Sinema isn't how frequently you can go. It's the wider range of options, the higher quality showings, 3D showings. Online reservation, even in advance, with no extra 2-3 dollar surcharge for reserving online. And the free upgrades, a lot of people like drink or popcorn at a movie, and saving a few dollars is an attractive prospect. Yeah, it's designed to make you spend more by using concession more often, but as far as when you look at the perks at sign up, those are attractive things.

It's why I even think Cinemark's plan is better than Moviepass and Sinema's, even with it only being one ticket per month. It's the no online fee, it's the 20% off concession. Those don't go away and can always be used whether you use the ticket or not.

The only downside is of course theater avaibility, which is certainly a sliding scale of how much of a downside that is depending on your location, so either very small, or insurmountable.

Edited by RandomCat
  • Like 3

3 movies for 9.95$ and 2-5$ discounts for additional movies actually sounds like a halfway sustainable business model. Probably the only way they could possibly get back and compete since 12 movies for 19.95$ which is their direct competition may not work for most customers and the 9.95$ is a great mental price point because it's still below 10$ and feels disposable to users.

• Like 6

3 movies for $10/month isn't as sexy as a movie per day for the same price, but it's still a great deal (and I assume the vast majority of users see 3 movies or less per month). At this point, the problem with MP is reliability. I remain unconvinced that they won't keep taking popular showtimes away.

It ostensibly won't affect me much till December because I got the annual, but it's still a decent deal. 

I don't go to the movies often enough that it's that difficult for me to work around their arbitrary rule changes so far. I kind of expected it with that ridiculous deal. Hopefully this new one provides more of a semblance of that stability.

Edited by tribefan695

3 minutes ago, Jayhawk said:

3 movies for $10/month isn't as sexy as a movie per day for the same price, but it's still a great deal (and I assume the vast majority of users see 3 movies or less per month). At this point, the problem with MP is reliability. I remain unconvinced that they won't keep taking popular showtimes away.

The one thing that gets to me is that they state that Moviepass will be available for "many studio first run films." The key word here being many basically says that they will still probably black out bigly movies.