Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

24 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

I wonder how much MI:F (and other movies) "lost" this weekend.

Ant Man sold over 600K tickets in its 1st week on Moviepass (see their "Top 12 movies" article from July 17) - you'd assume most were on the opening weekend at evening pricing...so if MIF was the same, it probably lost at least $7-9M (since Ant Man was right before surge pricing hit the majority)...

In fact, Ant Man probably was the final nail in getting "blockbusters" eliminated, b/c that kinda turnout for a movie would be too much if you're cash strapped...

EDIT: Here's the link...and you can see also why blockbusters are getting scrapped and the limit of 1x per movie went in effect - so many were turning out about 40% of the base to the theaters for the movies...you have a base that literally wanted blockbusters...can you imagine if they got to Black Panther these movies and see them unlimited times - that could have been enormous ticket sales and legs:)   https://theplaylist.net/moviepass-top-12-films-20180717/

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ant Man sold over 600K tickets in its 1st week on Moviepass (see their "Top 12 movies" article from July 17) - you'd assume most were on the opening weekend at evening pricing...so if MIF was the same, it probably lost at least $7-9M (since Ant Man was right before surge pricing hit the majority)...

In fact, Ant Man probably was the final nail in getting "blockbusters" eliminated, b/c that kinda turnout for a movie would be too much if you're cash strapped...

EDIT: Here's the link...and you can see also why blockbusters are getting scrapped and the limit of 1x per movie went in effect - so many were turning out about 40% of the base to the theaters for the movies...you have a base that literally wanted blockbusters...can you imagine if they got to Black Panther these movies and see them unlimited times - that could have been enormous ticket sales and legs:)   https://theplaylist.net/moviepass-top-12-films-20180717/

All of the blockbusters would've likely opened to the same numbers regardless of MoviePass existing or not, especially as sequels with pre-determined audiences. When people want to see the movie, they'll actually go.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

All of the blockbusters would've likely opened to the same numbers regardless of MoviePass existing or not, especially as sequels with pre-determined audiences. When people want to see the movie, they'll actually go.

Nah...you go b/c it's free and easy entertainment...sequels that cost $12-$14/ticket, you pass on unless they are must see.

Not every sequel is must see or must not see...some fall into "like to see if I get a good enough deal"...heck, some premier movies are the same way...

I can make a list of movies I'd have seen this summer if they were "free" (ie - already paid for)...I'm sure most folks without a pass could do the same...as can folks with a pass who saw things "just b/c they were free" that they are now gonna pass on - heck, look at this thread for that info...

EDIT: Like for the next 12 months, I have 3 must see movies - Fantastic Beasts 2 (b/c my oldest is a nut), Avengers 4, and Spidey Tom Holland edition.  Everything else, I'll take deals, funds, and possible subscription plans I get into the calculus...that means I might watch just 3 movies or I might watch 20...and it depends on quality and price, not just "sequels I like"...

Last year, I got great deals and went to 14 movies...this year, I've gone to 3 (and 2 were b/c of outrageous deals)...money matters when you talk movie attendance...

Edited by TwoMisfits

10 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Nah...you go b/c it's free and easy entertainment...sequels that cost $12-$14/ticket, you pass on unless they are must see.

Not every sequel is must see or must not see...some fall into "like to see if I get a good enough deal"...heck, some premier movies are the same way...

I can make a list of movies I'd have seen this summer if they were "free" (ie - already paid for)...I'm sure most folks without a pass could do the same...as can folks with a pass who saw things "just b/c they were free" that they are now gonna pass on - heck, look at this thread for that info...

EDIT: Like for the next 12 months, I have 3 must see movies - Fantastic Beasts 2 (b/c my oldest is a nut), Avengers 4, and Spidey Tom Holland edition.  Everything else, I'll take deals, funds, and possible subscription plans I get into the calculus...that means I might watch just 3 movies or I might watch 20...and it depends on quality and price, not just "sequels I like"...

Last year, I got great deals and went to 14 movies...this year, I've gone to 3 (and 2 were b/c of outrageous deals)...money matters when you talk movie attendance...

I think you overestimate the effects of MoviePass. Most of the 50+ movies that I saw with it I would've payed out of pocket to see, I just had the convenience of saving a ton of money. It's possible for someone to have a MoviePass and pass on a film like, say, Skyscraper just because they're not interested in seeing it even for free. It's all hard to grasp though.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I agree with this.  Moviepass effect on these movies is small. Maybe 25% (of moviepass users) or less than 1million people who saw these movies wouldn't otherwise have and of those probably a tiny fraction see it opening weekend due to limited seating availability for a bigger tentpoleas well as psychology (if you're on the fence about a movie you don't feel the need to rush to it, can wait for WOM and an ideal day).

Moviepass mainly juiced the gross of movies like Greatest Showman, etc.  Movies that may have otherwise become popular after leaving theaters now became popular while still out there.  

Anyway, I don't see any significant impact on the box office as a whole without moviepass.  

• Like 1

MoviePass has implemented several new cost-reduction and subscription revenue increase measures:

• Actions that have been implemented are currently cutting the monthly burn by 60%.

• A future increase of the standard pricing plan to $14.95 per month within the next 30 days.

• First Run Movies opening on 1,000+ Screens to be limited in their availability during the first two weeks, unless made available on a promotional basis,

• Implementation of additional tactics to prevent abuse of the MoviePass service.

33 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

MoviePass has implemented several new cost-reduction and subscription revenue increase measures:

• Actions that have been implemented are currently cutting the monthly burn by 60%.

• A future increase of the standard pricing plan to $14.95 per month within the next 30 days.

• First Run Movies opening on 1,000+ Screens to be limited in their availability during the first two weeks, unless made available on a promotional basis,

• Implementation of additional tactics to prevent abuse of the MoviePass service.

Image result for facepalm gif

Just shut it down already. I have no regrets about cancelling now.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Morieris said:

They're still peddling the magical MoviePass abuse line?

MoviePass: See a movie a day for only $9.95 per month

/attend 2 movies in a month

MoviePass: You're abusing the system !!!

Edited by Horner
  • Like 1