Eric Duncan

Moviepass and its Impact on the Box Office

So, I missed this last month, but SINEMIA finally has the 1st family plan...not sure I love it, but it's $25/month for 1 movie for 6 (they have different numbers for 2-6 people) and $41/month for 2 movies for 6.  Trying to decide if I should bite the bullet and give this one a try, but wanted to hear what folks think of Sinemia.

PS - I wish it was more like "get 12 tickets to use anyway you want" rather than 2 movie days for 6, b/c I almost feel I'd need a family plan and a personal plan, so I could still see grown up movies...I will say this plan would be lower than my "per ticket" cost without deals, even for the cheapest showings, so I'm giving it thought for the fall (once my bathroom remodel is finished) as my own birthday present...

PPS - Although looking at the plans, it seems I would make out better with a 2 person movie plan for 2 days and a 4 person movie plan for 1 day under my spouse (not sure if this is possible at the same home address, but I guess I'll keep looking)...that would be $31/month and would probably be that "happy medium" I'd want...this is world's better than Cinemark's plan, but I'm still wishing for a little better:)...$4/movie is better than I pay now, but...are there 12 family movies I'd want to pay for (at $24-25/movie)?  Hmmm...

Edited by TwoMisfits

HMNY (Moviepass) stock was at 0.09 then today they did a 250:1 reverse split such that if you had 250 shares you now have 1 (this makes investors very happy as you'd think...).  This took the stock from $0.09 to $22.50 instantly but it is already down to $13 mere minutes later.  

Best advice : Do not touch any Moviepass subscription beyond month to month!

• Haha 1

I saw Equalizer 2 yesterday, my 3 film on MoviePass this month.

Due to timing I paid a small $2 increase on the first two films but not on E2.

Mathematically it's still a value: $10membership+2+2=$14 paid using Movie Pass vs $12+12+10=$32 on my 3 films so far. 

• Like 1

MoviePass has made me start taking pictures with my iPhone of my movie stubs the past few weeks lmao.

I'm getting close to being done with them. Definitely starting to consider the AMC thing. It's not the chain I frequent, but there's so many movies I want to see later this year and done with the shtick MoviePass is trying to pull.

32 minutes ago, RandomCat said:

So, I'm kind of done with Movie Pass. No way can you sell me that last weekend Incredibles 2 should be at peak pricing all day. Cancelled it and once my paycheck hits I'll sign up for AMC's thing.

A kids movie, during summer. I could believe it, should it be the case, probably not but it's a kids movie in the summer. Skyscraper was not peak pricing when I saw that at a matinee, I'd wager cause it's not a kids movie in the summer. 

21 minutes ago, filmlover said:

MoviePass has made me start taking pictures with my iPhone of my movie stubs the past few weeks lmao.

Same here, I don't see any issue with it really. Speaking from personnel experience, I have at least a thought as to why. Back in the Spring I wanted to see something(can't recall what) and for some reason the MP app did not have the film listed in either the regular spot or the exceptions area 'unlisted showtimes'.

So the clerk at the box office just sold me a ticket for something else and I went to see my movie. The clerk literally said, "hey as long as you pay what does it really matter, right?" Now I knew to the studio it mattered but I just kept going.

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I'm getting close to being done with them. Definitely starting to consider the AMC thing. It's not the chain I frequent, but there's so many movies I want to see later this year and done with the shtick MoviePass is trying to pull.

...taking pictures isn’t that bad at all?  it takes 5 seconds.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Captain Craig said:

A kids movie, during summer. I could believe it, should it be the case, probably not but it's a kids movie in the summer. Skyscraper was not peak pricing when I saw that at a matinee, I'd wager cause it's not a kids movie in the summer. 

Maybe, I still think it's bullshit trying to justify peak pricing on any movie over a month after it's (wide) release. Yeah, I have an opinion about something. And go ahead and disagree with it. Don't treat me like an idiot and try and belittle me. That's rude and uncalled for. So, grow up.

Edited by RandomCat

2 hours ago, Rumpot said:

(this makes investors very happy as you'd think...). 

In the past I would imagine yes (if some service had a transaction price based on the amount of stock you own), nowaday in the digital age stock split or merge is really often purely a show that we do not care much about. Being an investor I would like it I think, penny stock look bad by itself.

45 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I don't have a problem with it, I'm just amused that MoviePass keeps changing their policies every single week.

The picture thing isn’t really a change in policy as users have been having to do it for quite sometime, if selected. 

I only had MP for a month before they started asking but I expected it since I knew a lot of other users had to do it too. 

Not defending MP btw lol This is my last month with service as well since I’m heading back to school. It was good for what it was and I know it had its issues but I’m glad it existed so another theater chain could pick up on its model like what AMC did with A-list. Hopefully other chains start offering their own subscription based service as well.