CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

These projections are mindblowing.  It has a shot at beating both "Avengers" and "Jurassic World".  I think people are forgetting that we are in December not May or Summertime.   Also all the talk about the film "Good or Bad" is obviously bringing out more awareness for people to see it for themselves.  It's going to clean up huge in the last two weeks of this year.  

• Like 1

I still think TLJ will play much better with casuals and that they may even like the subplot that's currently on everyone's trash compactor list. There's a thrilling chase scene that I think kids will love. The movie has something for everyone and a couple of major things happen which is enough to make the crowd buzz about what happens next. Plus emotional beats land more often than not. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, filmscholar said:

These projections are mindblowing.  It has a shot at beating both "Avengers" and "Jurassic World".  I think people are forgetting that we are in December not May or Summertime.   Also all the talk about the film "Good or Bad" is obviously bringing out more awareness for people to see it for themselves.  It's going to clean up huge in the last two weeks of this year.  

I think we've established that a movie can open in any month and be successful.  It just has to have the massive fan interest behind it.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IronJimbo said:

I thought Friday was already done, what's this 105?

It did 45 million in previews and 60 million day business (which is insane) For Friday.

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

I think we've established that a movie can open in any month and be successful.  It just has to have the massive fan interest behind it.  

True, I've been very surprised at Jan, Feb, March, Aug, Sept (Recently) and Dec this last decade but most of those end up being exceptions not the rules.  Seeing a film pull in these type of numbers when historically Dec just doesn't see these types of openings is amazing.  I'm still surprised by "Rogue One's" Dec Performance last year as well.   But your point is right, it takes the right branding and fanbase to shatter monthly norms.  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rth Ragnarok said:

...What?! Lol good god. For real? I thought 100 would be amazing. At 105 my 227 weekend prediction isn’t dead as a doornail it’s what in Princess Bride they call only “mostly dead” :P

That’s a hell of a Good Friday though... god damnit iPhone really? I hate autocorrect. But sure let’s go with that, Good Friday! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Brainbug said:

That mixed WOM clearly deflating the numbers :hahaha:

Surely it's Saturday and Sunday which would theoretically take the hit?

It's nice that online voting has no affect on the box office and it's better off that way.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, a2knet said:

So now 215 is low-end? No growth on Sat from true Fri and 17% drop on Sunday (TFA fell 11%) gives 215:

45 + 60 + 60 (+0%) + 50 (-17%) = 215

I guess we are in 220-230 territory.

Please let my 227 hit or come close I’ll be so excited lol. 

• Like 2