CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

That is amazing for TLJ and a true testament to the SW brand.

However, I think because the film’s estimates increased yesterday and really even this weekend don’t give us a great answer as to GA reception.  The Cinemascore is solid but unless it’s an A+ cinemascore is pretty pointless based on their sample size.  

I am no troll.  At all.  I LOVE Johnson and am happy if this reaches the heights of TFA on its own.  But I have talked to so many people who were very mild to this film, seen hundreds of Twitter echoing the sentiment and users of this board who feel the same. Dismissing them because it had a great OD/OW seems naive to me.  The holidays will obviously help but there are many people who are dissatisfied with the film and I’m not jumping to conclusions before we see if it has any long term effect.

Well dang, I admit it. I expected a 25% drop from TFA for TLJ OW and DOM.

That's the typical drop for a sequel to a megahit.

I'm going to say three factors probably gave TLJ a nice bump.

1) LucasFilm's confidence in the director. Announcing he'll do the next trilogy.

2) The controversy of the lopsided RT ratings and pissed off fanboys. This had to make people very curious.

3) Very positive WOM from casuals.

9 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Oh, interesting feedback on the movie that I was reading on a Disney fan board...do you think the wildly different feedback we've gotten on the movie is an age difference?  Those 45+ (so older than normal 25+) are just less accepting of any changes to the Star Wars concepts than younger folks who literally didn't grow up with OT?

I don't think all the hate is trolls, b/c the Disney board doesn't have trolls and yet they still have some folks who say they hate absolutely everything about this movie, while others say it's the best movie done (and these folks are age split:)...and maybe the voters on RottenTomatoes.com are more in the 45+ group:)...

Agreed - I really enjoyed it, but I have seen legitimate people (for example twitter accounts I have followed for years) saying they strongly disliked it.  Of course it is impossible to tell what kind of impact that would have on the box office - relatively slight I would think when it comes to sizing up this weekend especially since the specific complaints by such people are unlikely to deter the general audience.  It also won't deter the more hardcore star wars fans from seeing it at least once.  And many of those that DISLIKE it will probably see it again anyway.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

1) LucasFilm's confidence in the director. Announcing he'll do the next trilogy.

2) The controversy of the lopsided RT ratings and pissed off fanboys. This had to make people very curious.

Less than .00000001% of people know about this fake made up controversy.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

So far, I was correct about TLJ being more backloaded than TFA though.

I actually think 225+ m OW is a safe bet and beating Avatar DOM is on the table which was unthinkable yesterday afternoon.

Brace yourself, younglings.

345.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

So far, I was correct about TLJ being more backloaded than TFA though.

I actually think 225+ m OW is a safe bet and beating Avatar DOM is on the table which was unthinkable yesterday afternoon.

What? :lol: Beating Avatar was always on the table with a 200M OW

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Opening weekend is not usually where you see the sequel drop. It's the total because legs are usually worse for sequels to megahits. Avengers and Ultron are a good example (down only 8% OW, but 26% for domestic total). TDK and TDKR are another good example (no drop on OW, but down 16% for domestic total).

Even more relevant example in the Star Wars franchise itself: Attack of the Clones opened to $120m in 5 days while Phantom Menace opened to $105m in 5 days. Clones ended up 30% lower at $302m versus Phantom Menace's $431m domestic total. 

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 2