CJohn

THE LAST JEDI (and Ferdinand) WEEKEND THREAD | JEDI 220m, FERDINAND 13.3m, COCO 10m (official estimates) | ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS ALLOWED | SALE ON GOLD & PREMIUM ACCOUNTS IN FIRST POST

8 minutes ago, Wonder Midget said:

At the time, sequels usually did only a fraction of the original. Look at the drop from Jaws to Jaws 2. ESB was actually considered a miracle by some because of how massive it was for a sequel(180 Million was a LOT of money in 1980). The film critic Desmond Ryan from my local paper(The Philly Inquirer) even wrote an article entitled(I think) Empire has Renewed Hollywood's Attitude towards sequels.

Fair enough, but it's the only precedent we have. There isn't any irrefutable evidence to gauge what fandom reactions were in 1980 and, while I may be biased by personal opinion, I'm just not going to be convinced that these aren't wild overreactions by a very loud minority until the smoke clears.

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

The trailers for my showing were just kind of odd. It was some low budget looking high school volleyball movie I'd never heard of and can't remember the name, an Aardman animated caveman film I'd never heard of and can't remember the name, a live action cave man and wolf film I'd never heard of and can't remember the name, Mortal Engines, Alita, JW, and IW. Only IW got a reaction and it was huge with tons of clapping/cheering throughout the whole trailer. Crickets for everything else, JW included. 

I'm surprised they attached Early Man to Star Wars, it'd be better served with Ferdinand or Jumanji and while I love Aardman films, they're not box office gold. 

I got Black Panther, Ready Player One, Alpha and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I'd love to seen the Mortal Engines one as it's not online yet.

29 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Terrific for The Last Jedi. Looking at a $200+ million opening weekend and at least $600+ million total domestic. I think that is pretty terrific, indeed, for the second instalment of the latest trilogy in the main series, and the third film in the overall Star Wars Universe in 3 years. And this represents another Star Wars film that will sit among the best domestic performances of all-time. 

I'm not at all a Star Wars guy. Didn't really grow up with the original trilogy. I saw The Force Awakens; not sure yet if I will be compelled to see The Last Jedi in theatres (reviews have me intrigued). Regardless, I find Star Wars to be an interesting film series. Other blockbuster fantasy film series, like the Tolkien universe (Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit) or Harry Potter series, for example, are based on source materials. So the question for audiences isn't (or wasn't) so much, "what direction will the story take?", but "how will these series decide to capture the spirit of the books?" With Star Wars, there are so many creative directions in which this saga can continue to go narratively and thematically. That possibility, that openness, is pretty cool. 

Peace,

Mike

Somehow I find a post like this so refreshing amidst everything else :) Just a nice take on things. Thanks Mike!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I'm surprised they attached Early Man to Star Wars, it'd be better served with Ferdinand or Jumanji and while I love Aardman films, they're not box office gold. 

I got Black Panther, Ready Player One, Alpha and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I'd love to seen the Mortal Engines one as it's not online yet.

The trailers were all in that order too, so for the first 3 it was  like what movie are we about to watch? Certainly didn't seem like a big blockbuster. 

ME was super short, but I got a lot of Fury Road vibes from it. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

OHMYGOD LMAO

So this friend... so done with his opinion :lol: I just got told "I'm not a real Star Wars fan" because "I also like the shitty ones"

According to him, I guess only real fans like 4,5,7 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

55 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

how’s the bull doing @Rth Ragnarok

No so big balls, probably around 4

51 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Hard to comprehend it playing in both.

Use to play one or the other, It largely came about do to Imax in last year or so, in a nutshell if say two cinemas are right next to each other theatre A has  Imax, if Theatre B is getting a film  that is available in Imax then Theatre A has to be offered it for at least the Imax screen (in Some case Theatre A may be able to play other screens as well). Another example Odeon & CW Leicester Square London  they are right across from each other CW complex has Imax so if Odeon LS is running TLJ, CW LS can also have it for  their Imax screen 

There are also exeptions outside Imax, like Disney with TFA played Arclight Hollywood, the El Capitan and TLC Chinese (Which Has Imax), now generral rule only one of those 3 locations would play a film

49 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Anything for UK cinemas? You can post it in the UK box office thread if you have the info

The two in Leicester Square taking a fortune combined, Odeon LS by itself is currently #1 location

Edited by Rth Ragnarok
  • Like 9

7 minutes ago, Rth Ragnarok said:

No so big balls, probably around 4

Use to play one or the other, It largely came about do to Imax in last year or so, in a nutshell if say two cinemas are right next to each other theatre A has  Imax, if Theatre B is getting a film  that is available in Imax then Theatre A has to be offered it for at least the Imax screen (in Some case Theatre A may be able to play other screens as well). Another example Odeon & CW Leicester Square London  they are right across from each other CW complex has Imax so if Odeon LS is running TLJ, CW LS can also have it for  their Imax screen 

The two in Leicester Square taking a fortune combined, Odeon LS by itself is currently #1 location

Shocked that BFI IMAX isn't number 1 considering that OLS isn't PLF but I guess it has more capacity compared to both BFI and CW LS. Vue Westfield must be top five as well.

Cineworld LS is closing for refurb in January for a month so Star Wars won't be playing there for that long. 

@grim22 can probably answer this but is the Irvine Spectrum any good? Always seem to be in the top locations for films.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

There was really no legacy for SW when ESB came out since it was only the 2nd film. So it would have been impossible for there to be reactions like TLJ about how it ruined the mythology or legacy. It was still building that back then. 

Ehhhh.... Sorta.  By the time ESB rolled out there was a highly successful comic book series as well as semi-popular newspaper strip (not to mention the first few tie-in novels).  People had already run wild with preconceived notions. 

Including Snot Nosed Kids™ who flat out pointed out Darth Vader was a lying liar who lies because Obi-Wan would NEVER lie to Luke about his father. :ph34r:

Ahem. :ph34r:

Anyway, what was missing then was the force multiplier that is the internet and social media.  It allows like minded people to easily band together and coalesce around various ideas (both loves and hates).  Not even the archaic rudimentary USENET or FIDONET were around then. 

It really was a different time in all respects.  Though in one way it was the same.  We did all our arguing and yelling on the playground and in our family cars instead of here online. :D

Edited by Porthos

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

@grim22 can probably answer this but is the Irvine Spectrum any good? Always seem to be in the top locations for films.

Irvine Spectrum is great. The new club class seating especially. The IMAX screen is awesome and the shopping complex around the theater is pretty good as well.

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I still don't know that I'd expect reception to be great even among casuals, because the pacing is just very sluggish in parts. Nothing like TFA, which zipped right through the runtime. 

I liked the film but it could have easily lost 20 minutes. 

17 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Fair enough, but it's the only precedent we have. There isn't any irrefutable evidence to gauge what fandom reactions were in 1980 and, while I may be biased by personal opinion, I'm just not going to be convinced that these aren't wild overreactions by a very loud minority until the smoke clears.

Not disagreeing with you on this at all. I saw the movie and thought it was great. There's no question that fandom is going way overboard about this.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Rman823 said:

I know it’s anecdotal but I’ve only seen positive reviews on my Facebook. Not sure how many are die hard fans though.   

Same, friends raving about it. None are fans... but they are calling it best since ESB. It’s anecdotal to the extreme, my friends list is tiny. 

• Like 1