grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

When all is said and done, I am a huge Star Wars fan and I unapologetically loved The Last Jedi.... but I have no trouble admitting that these numbers are disappointing, they probably are the product of the extremely divisive wom (for mostly understandable, if imo refutable reasons), and, well, if I originally was against JJ Abrams finishing the sequel trilogy, now I think that it may be the wise move to bring back the person who set the trilogy up in the 1st place with The Force Awakens (which I liked, but I liked TLJ more). TLJ is going to take a big drop from TFA, bigger than it should have had, and it's going under Avatar, which saddens me, despite the film still being a Goddamn waterfall of money for Iger and Kennedy and still going as one of the top 3 biggest DOM hits of all time (unless legs are really poor and it goes under Jurassic World.... which would still put it at #4, but it would be a massive letdown), but hey, the audiences speak with their wallets and they made their decision: this movie didn't work all that well for them. If TFA was a copy-paste of all things past, TLJ was a complete 360º turn on all things past, and as it's said in my good language of Portuguese, you can't choose 8 or 80: there's a middle ground and that's where you work (as far as most people go).

Oh well. At least if one day people suddenly decide to like TLJ in the future (and if Ep. IX resolves its issues, the wom might change), I can say that I liked it when I 1st saw it :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, filmnerdjamie said:

And again... after it's all said and done, we're all going to just go back to the original trilogy and solely acknowledge that. Those three films will be what we pass down to our kids (and grand kids) and not these Disney-era films. Not a slight against the latter but they will be lost to the conversation just like the fan outrage over the prequels.

OT will be universally passed down by SW fans.

Then there will be factions who only additionally pass down prequels or the sequel trilogy.

And the jury is out on the non-Skywalker stuff but I think Disney and LucasFilm will be at a very interesting crossroads from this point on and as a lifelong SW fan I find it much more exciting than ever before.

There's never been so much input regarding why and what people love and don't love about SW.

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i've heard the play is great from people who have seen it but bad from people who have only read it. haven't done either but i imagine it must be at least a great production.

Production is supposedly top-notch and the play is entertaining as hell. It didn't get rave reviews for no reason. 

Just now, CoolioD1 said:

i've heard the play is great from people who have seen it but bad from people who have only read it. haven't done either but i imagine it must be at least a great production.

Same, which is kinda puzzling. I can't see a way I would like that story in any universe like ever.

At least, I don't have to worry that I will never get to buy tickets...

Any blockbuster type film from the 70's is going to have an element of dated to it. Hell, that's when the blockbuster originated, so of course things have changed a lot. However, there is no other blockbuster type of movie from that time frame that holds up as well as the OT and it is because they are very well made for their genre and many of the concepts are appealing to kids by any decade's standards. Kids will watch the OT, even in spite of how dated aspects of it are. Try getting kids to watch other films from that time frame, even animated ones. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

OT will be universally passed down by SW fans.

Then there will be factions who only additionally pass down prequels or the sequel trilogy.

And the jury is out on the non-Skywalker stuff but I think Disney and LucasFilm will be at a very interesting crossroads from this point on and as a lifelong SW fan I find it much more exciting than ever before.

There's never been so much input regarding why and what people love and don't love about SW.

This. I am one of those people who loves the prequels (well, 2 and 3 actually), despite obvious problems, LOVES the books and the extended universe, but doesn't like where the franchise is headed. That makes me a combination of a fan and a hater I guess?  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grey ghost said:

Why?

It would be profitable, please most fans, a fun creative experiment and explores new possibilities for fanboy franchises.

And that's why your ideas are largely ignored by your friends and family. :)

• Like 1