grim22

4-day Weekend Thread: 5-day numbers per BOM - TLJ 99.0M, J:WTTJ 55.4M, PP3 26.4M, TGS 14.4M, F 10.1M, C 8.2M, D 7.7M and an incredible $5,480,000 for Father Figures

1 minute ago, Matrix4You said:

I was reading a post by empirecity quoting baumer saying something about something that someone else said, and I am going into vague quotations, "Christmas time spreads grosses.... Enough spark to it, and the fire will bring the December crowds.....  TFA and R1 did it.....

So I wanted to re-emphasize that point.  I thought that people were able to work TFA, R1 along with Avatar into their daily activities.  This was an event film for everyone and people could reschedule a re watch in groups and their seemed to be a growing positive response.  TLJ is an event film, but it has a mixed response and the qualities and quantities that one can get from an event film become separated or don't show much. 

27m is a good Christmas Day number.   Sadly, it probably made some people upset.  Historically, one would think 30 million would be the lowest min with it only going a tad lower only if the level of mediocre legs continues to skew downward.  It should totally match the first Monday and Tuesday numbers of 21.6 and 20.3 for this upcoming Wednesday and Thursday.  Adding in 30.1 for today gives 72 million for Tues-Thurs.  467-468 potential with possibility for Star Wars mania to push the total 1% upward.

The problem most of the punters around here have is that they go by things that have happened in the past.

No one apart from those who count the money knows exactly how much money these movies make and for all we know the figures that do reach us paint a different picture to the actual facts.

TLJ will drop increasing from here on out, and some of those intra-day drops will be unprecedented.

I believe we will see a vicious downward spiral commencing from Tuesday onward.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

The problem most of the punters around here have is that they go by things that have happened in the past.

No one apart from those who count the money knows exactly how much money these movies make and for all we know the figures that do reach us paint a different picture to the actual facts.

TLJ will drop increasing from here on out, and some of those intra-day drops will be unprecedented.

It looks like it increased today.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

8 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

I was reading a post by empirecity quoting baumer saying something about something that someone else said, and I am going into vague quotations, "Christmas time spreads grosses.... Enough spark to it, and the fire will bring the December crowds.....  TFA and R1 did it.....

So I wanted to re-emphasize that point.  I thought that people were able to work TFA, R1 along with Avatar into their daily activities.  This was an event film for everyone and people could reschedule a re watch in groups and there seemed to be a growing positive response to it.  TLJ is an event film, but it has a mixed response and the qualities and quantities that one can get from an event film become separated or don't show much. 

27m is a good Christmas Day number.   Sadly, it probably made some people upset (the people who planned to see the movie, that is).  Personally, ROTS made me more upset in a sadness sort of way.  I think age-young kids would just be part sad/part annoyed of TLJ, but would follow Sith very well and just be heartbroken by the events in Sith.  Historically, one would think 30 million would be the lowest min with it only going a tad lower only if the level of mediocre legs continues to skew downward.  It should totally match the first Monday and Tuesday numbers of 21.6 and 20.3 for this upcoming Wednesday and Thursday.  Adding in 30.1 for today gives 72 million for Tues-Thurs.  467-468 potential with possibility for Star Wars mania to push the total 1% upward.

edited some of the stuff

2 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

I'm not sure I agree with the vicious downward spiral yet, I can agree to that if we see a bad Tuesday and Wednesday though.

9 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

It looks like it increased today.  

It looks like?

You know for this particular movie all I've been hearing is damage limitation like... it looks like... TLJ approaches... TLJ set to... TLJ expected to...

Where are the actual figures?

We had an expectation for $32M Monday.

It was?

$27M.

I tell you - expect a sharp decline.

Edited by TheForceuser707
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, EpicBoom23 said:

Okay, I think it will stay flat. 

I don't know if anyone noticed, but RTH liked the above quoted post. When he does this, it usually means he is confirming this is where he sees it at. I think we're looking at around the same number on Tuesday as Monday for Jedi, perhaps ~$28M.

Edit: Speak of the devil... RTH confirms. Thanks RTH :)

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Interesting that TLJ increased but Jumanji decreased. Wonder what it all means

Probably nature of the audience (maybe Jumanji is getting disproportionally the wide family crowd and will play more like a family movie title than star wars).

Both TGS/Jumanji play more like family title, PP3-stars wars less so, PP3 the least and the less helped by Christmas day.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

This would represent about the following increases/decreases:

TLJ: +2%

Jumanji: -10.5%

PP3: +17%

TGS: -5%

Peace,

Mike

Let's wait for the actuals.

And even if there is some smudging of the numbers to keep up appearances... at some point it will all give way.

I'll be watching.

• ...wtf 1

1 minute ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Let's wait for the actuals.

And even if there is some smudging of the numbers to keep up appearances... at some point it will all give way.

I'll be watching.

If they were gonna fudge anything, they would've done it yesterday to get it over a 100M 4-day.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, The Greatest Rth said:

TLJ 28. 2, J 17,PP3 7.6,TGS 5.3

Do you have any sense of Coco, @The Greatest Rth

I just realized Coco narrowly surpassed Ferdinand on Monday. (Coco's PTA was significantly higher as well.) With Downsizing and Father Figures doing so poorly, and All the Money in the World opening to subdued numbers, Coco rounded out the top 5 grossers. 

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3

When the run of TLJ is finally judged at the end, the awful Christmas day bump will end up being what derailed it. It gets a 100% bump like every other movie and makes 35M Monday and say 37-38M Tuesday and the discussion around it's run would have changed completely along with the floor. 

• Like 4