Porthos

Tuesday Numbers (Dec 26): TLJ 27.7, Jumanji: 17.1, PP3 7.4, TGS 5.1 (actuals/estimates)

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Impossible, I was told that there would be sharp declines starting today.  

Really? They must have missed that the 26th has been bigger than the 25th often times before. It depends on the movie, though. I also don't think it has that much to do with cheap Tuesdays and more with the calendar dates. Like i said, it is not a new occurence to increase from the 25th.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Elessar said:

Really? They must have missed that the 26th has been bigger than the 25th often times before. It depends on the movie, though. I also don't think it has that much to do with cheap Tuesdays and more with the calendar dates. Like i said, it is not a new occurence to increase from the 25th.

Given TLJ's increase and Jumanjis slight decrease, it seems like Jumanji is heavily playing to familys while TLJ doesnt. While that in itself is interesting, i dont know how that would effect TLJ's legs. Or maybe im overthinking it. :lol:

5 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

Impossible, I was told that there would be sharp declines starting today.  

As some of us thought last night, there was a big effect on Christmas Day numbers with families choosing Jumanji and now today you see those numbers flipped back around where Jumanji drops and The Last Jedi increases.  

Why would it decline on Boxing Day?  Who said it would decline?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Given TLJ's increase and Jumanjis slight decrease, it seems like Jumanji is heavily playing to familys while TLJ doesnt. While that in itself is interesting, i dont know how that would effect TLJ's legs. Or maybe im overthinking it.

Family movies tend to have great legs over the Christmas holiday. Jumanji is going to benefit most from the holiday legs.
Of course TLJ is going to get plenty of families too.

Edited by Mojoguy

5 hours ago, TheForceuser707 said:

I guess when you want to maintain your number one cash cow you can always throw money at it from time to time.

Would be great to see the actual (as in ACTUAL) figures though. 

Why are you sticking to this narrative?  This isn't a studio estimate.  This is a number from RTH, our Asgard so to speak.  He has actual data to give us numbers.  These are not bullshit studio estimates to make the film appear a certain way.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TheForceuser707 said:

Really?

Then why is TLJ the only Star Wars sequel to make LESS on its OW than its predecessor?

I...surely you can't be serious.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Why are you sticking to this narrative?  This isn't a studio estimate.  This is a number from RTH, our Asgard so to speak.  He has actual data to give us numbers.  These are not bullshit studio estimates to make the film appear a certain way.  

Ehm, studio estimates are very accurate. It is when they are projecting future box office, that mistakes happen. Neither can RTH predict the future. ;)

Edited by Elessar

3 hours ago, Elessar said:

Ehm, studio estimates are very accurate. It is when they are projecting future box office, that mistakes happen.

I was only responding to his post where he said let him know when we have something more concrete.

Just now, Mojoguy said:

Rth isn't predicting the future, he has the actual raw numbers data.

I know. Was just making the distinction between estimating past box office and projecting future box office. RTH as well as studios have past data, both are accurate in their estimates. Well, RTH usually gets them out sooner, so they might be a little less accurate but accurate enough most of the times.

So there you go. This is not a great number for TLJ. It should have gone over 30m today.

Jumanji is a strange story. I don't really understand, how it plays. Family Movies usually jump on 26th, but it had an untypically high increase on CD, so maybe that drop is compensation. With that kind of dailies, though, we are slowly leaving the territory of what is "normal". 

Great for PP3 though, that's a nice rebound. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

While many of us were hoping for a total over $700m, it looks like this movie is going to basically follow the previous Star Wars habit of the sequel to the first of a trilogy decreasing by about ~30%. If it follows TPM to AotC then it makes just over $656m, while a ANH to ESB drop puts it at just over $638m.

Just now, Hatebox said:

Jumanji's definitely doing better than I thought it would. I doubt there's much if any nostalgia happening, it was just the right movie for the right time. TLJ's only okayish performance didn't hurt either.

I think Jumanji has the advantage of beeing virtually the only moviegoing choice for familys besides TLJ for the holidays. The Greates Showman, PP3, Downsizing (lol), these are not really family options. And holdovers like Coco/Wonder are quite deep into their runs already.

Well, this is a 3% increase.

Of cource this is a satisfying number but why are people exaggerating??

A simple look at the same day in 2006 will tell you that it is far from an anomally for movies to increase on Boxing Day.

There are actually even some far bigger increases and you can even argue that Tuesday is seen far more as a movies day now than it was then no matter If theaters are doing discounts today.

So yeah, it is a nice number but don't make it seem as though this is something outstanding. I bet there was only a minority actually who argued that there will be a decline today.

• Like 1