Rthmessiah

Wednesday Numbers(27/12/17):TLJ $22m

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

This is so wrong. You can't just pick and choose what markets are more important.  Does it really matter all that much if a movie makes 1.5 billion dollars and half of it is domestic? I think you are trying to use this narrative against a film that defies your logic. Sorry but all markets are important and yea China is an emerging market but the fact is studios still get significantly less of a return from China than they do in North America. 

What are you talking about, "pick and choose"? The box office markets that are most important are the ones that generate the most revenue for a film, and, in terms of box office returns for studios, the ones that generate good revenue and allow studios to take home the highest shares of that revenue. In both metrics, the domestic market is dwindling in relevance on the worldwide stage due to the emergence of such markets like China, which, even in 2017, can generate similar revenue for a film as the domestic market can. Give it a few decades or less, and despite the lower share of revenue studios receive in China, China will likely dwarf the domestic market in terms of both box office revenue and box office returns/profit.

The point is that as time passes, domestic will continue to lose importance on the global stage, and this will have a negative impact on both the worldwide grosses that the Star Wars franchise can produce in comparison to other films, and also the profitability of Star Wars films in comparison to others. This has nothing to do with a single film, it's about Star Wars as a franchise.

11 minutes ago, Sand-omJC said:

This talk of OS for TLJ, and I'm still not sure how 500-600 is a bad # OS.

When movies like BATB and DM3 and FF8 all make 750-1B OS alone, SW8 should be able to at least match BATB/DM3 with 800m OS. Maybe it might, but it looks a bit unlikely.

It's true that SW8 is not as beloved in all regions compared to something like FF8 or DM3, but given how it's huge in Europe, and given TFA made 1B OS, a 20% drop (800m OS) was expected.

So 600m OS for SW8 isn't great.

1 hour ago, Punishment said:

Looking at original runs only:

ESB did 68% of SW (would give TLJ a $634,012,332 total with same % of TFA)

AOTC did 70% of TPM (would give TLJ a $656,609,452 total with same % of TFA)

So all this talk about Disney in crisis is overblown.

TLJ is dropping normally from TFA.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

This is so wrong. You can't just pick and choose what markets are more important.  Does it really matter all that much if a movie makes 1.5 billion dollars and half of it is domestic? I think you are trying to use this narrative against a film that defies your logic. Sorry but all markets are important and yea China is an emerging market but the fact is studios still get significantly less of a return from China than they do in North America. 

Exactly. No one cares if FF8's 1.25B is from DOM or OS. A billion is a billion.

It's no longer about DOM only. And we have several films this year that prove this, including BATB, DM3, FF8, XXX3, Kong and others. 

The media, and forums, pay more attention to DOM because these people are from North America, but reality is that OS is just as important, or even more important, than North America.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure why 500-600m OS even gets mentioned, because that numbers has very little chance of happening. The movie already is at 420m internationally (~445m with Wednesday), while posting equal or bigger daily totals than the domestic side. The only reason why the international sum is a bit lower is due to christmas eve and christmas day being virtually dead days in most of the core markets for this movie, where in some parts theaters don't even open. While China might not add much, it still will enhance the gross, and there is quite a bit left in all the other markets as well.

Edited by George Parr

A bit off topic, but looking at Mojo's studio yearly breakdown, what a crazy year this was for Hollywood! Fox is gone, Paramount had their worst year ever (and looking at their 2018 schedule, things don't look much better, so there's a good chance they will soon be gone too), Weinstein is also looking to disappear.

On the other hand, Disney and WB continue to dominate, and Lionsgate looks to fill some of the space left by Fox's (and probably soon Paramount's) exit. They had such a good year (almost 900m DOM). And with all the ups and down, even since they became big in 2012, they always posted good to great yearly results.

All in all, in retrospect, it seems like such a crazy year to me!

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, Wednesday's number down?  Rth said 22 million and this site says 21.5 million.

Yesterday, Rth's figure was $28.2m, the early-morning estimates were $28.3m, and then the actual figure was $27.7m.

Today, $22m from Rth, $21.5m from early-morning estimates, so it'd be wise to wait until actuals.

• ...wtf 2

2 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

So, Wednesday's number down?  Rth said 22 million and this site says 21.5 million.

Rth said 22m sounds about right, he didn't say it would be exactly 22m. There is always a bit of deviance up or down, unless he gives numbers relatively late and/or is very specific.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MinaTakla said:

When movies like BATB and DM3 and FF8 all make 750-1B OS alone, SW8 should be able to at least match BATB/DM3 with 800m OS. Maybe it might, but it looks a bit unlikely.

It's true that SW8 is not as beloved in all regions compared to something like FF8 or DM3, but given how it's huge in Europe, and given TFA made 1B OS, a 20% drop (800m OS) was expected.

So 600m OS for SW8 isn't great.

I mean, I didn't say it was great. I just said it isn't bad. It's not a number to scoff at, just because expectations puts it at 800M. 600M still puts it in the top 50 OS grosses of all time...

12 minutes ago, Hermia said:

STAR WARS: THE LAST JEDI

$21.5M Wednesday (North America)

$26.7M Wednesday (Overseas)

$891.8M GLOBAL TOTAL...

https://twitter.com/BoxOffice/status/946419805795393536

5 hours ago, Sand-omJC said:

Ha. Aw...yes, and when it comes in 21.8 the forum will lose its gods damn mind.

LESS THAN 21.8!

Everyone panic!

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Ginkasa said:

The idea is that the overall worldwide potential for new films will continue to grow as the international markets grow and NA maintains or even potentially shrinks.  Star Wars can continue to do well in NA, but if it fails to gain a foothold internationally and thus, in the future, is making significantly less overall on the worldwide stage compared to other franchises then that domestic success may not be worth it by itself.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't TFA make a billion internationally? I think SW is doing quite well internationally. It seems to be lacking in some Asian markets but that doesn't cover the other 90% of other markets.

Where are u guys getting this idea that SW isnt doing well outside of NA?

6 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Yesterday, Rth's figure was $28.2m, the early-morning estimates were $28.3m, and then the actual figure was $27.7m.

Today, $22m from Rth, $21.5m from early-morning estimates, so it'd be wise to wait until actuals.

Right. His number to the actual was within 3%. So he was pretty much bang on. Now you're getting into troll territory.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1