Rthmessiah

Wednesday Numbers(27/12/17):TLJ $22m

19 minutes ago, meriodejaneiro said:

True, but it relies basically on China's box office being about 40% of total OS. 

I don't find boxoffices that do well in China to be inferior to non-China driven ones. They won a huge market that they can rely on. HP made its 600Ms OS thanks to Japan and UK too, 2 markets where it was shoo-in to post huge numbers. Are those boxoffice runs lesser? Is Coco's run lesser cause China + Mexico? Nope. At least I don't see it that way. I don't think China success is a cheat. It's a success like any other, just that some movies really broke big in that huge market while others didn't.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't find boxoffices that do well in China to be inferior to non-China driven ones. They won a huge market that they can rely on. HP made its 600Ms OS thanks to Japan and UK too, 2 markets where it was shoo-in to post huge numbers. Are those boxoffice runs lesser? Is Coco's run lesser cause China + Mexico? Nope. At least I don't see it that way. I don't think China success is a cheat. It's a success like any other, just that some movies really broke big in that huge market while others didn't.

But it's not the same having a big os number peaking in one or two markets and having medium-low runs on the rest than having os numbers spread "equally good" along all intl. markets. 

5 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I think people make that distinction because studios take back only 25% of CBO receips (even less now with the whole ticket fees) while they receive 40%+ in Japan/UK. It's very likely for example that Disney profitted more from Frozen's gross in Japan than Universal from Furious7 in China. That's not even counting Home video sales (Frozen sold 2.4m+ units in Japan generatiiing over $100m while HV is a non-factor in China).

• Like 1

Just now, Agafin said:

I think people make that distinction because studios take back only 25% of CBO receips (even less now with the whole ticket fees) while they receive 40%+ in Japan/UK. It's very likely for example that Disney profitted more from Frozen's gross in Japan than Universal from Furious7 in China. That's not even counting Home video sales (Frozen sold 2.4m+ units in Japan generatiiing over $100m while HV is a non-factor in China).

I understand now. Thanks! :)

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Looks this is heading for 60 million 3rd weekend if numbers hold and 80 million 4-day. Around 530 million Jan 2nd.

Still puts it around 660-670 finish I think. 

80 million 4-day would put it no less than 540 million by Jan 2nd. Should be at 460-465 going into Friday if we include yesterday and today’s gross

40 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I don't find boxoffices that do well in China to be inferior to non-China driven ones.

You would if you were a studio, not that it necessarily need to matter.

And not sure how true you are with yourself, if Warcraft would have been domestic heavy instead of China heavy ], broke a list of video games adaptation domestic market records I think you would have find is  bo superior. Same for the last Resident evil, if it would have been 50/50 dom/intl....

Edited by Barnack