grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

24 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Less than 1.8b is a disaster

1.8b to 2.1b is an extreme underpeformance.

2.1b to 2.4b is far less than expected

2.4b to 2.78b is disappointing

2.78b to 3b is ok

3b to 3.3b is expected

3.3b to 3.7b is great

3.7b to 4b is fanastic

4b.. pack your bags honey we are off to Pandora

Haha if this is serious he should be banned for a week and forced to read the archives of how box office works. 

4 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Less than 1.8b is a disaster

1.8b to 2.1b is an extreme underpeformance.

2.1b to 2.4b is far less than expected

2.4b to 2.78b is disappointing

2.78b to 3b is ok

3b to 3.3b is expected

3.3b to 3.7b is great

3.7b to 4b is fanastic

4b.. pack your bags honey we are off to Pandora

You see, although IronJimbo is a bit of a delusional fanboy, at least he plays the fair game here. You think he's harsh on TLJ's drop from TFA? He's 10 times harsher on the Avatar sequel! 2.78b to 3b is a fucking OK result!

A fucking OK result!!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Um..... IT and Get Out say hi. 

IT was by far the most hyped horror film ever. Didn't expect it to be so huge but wasn't really that surprised.

Didnt expect Jumanji to even hit $100m. Kind of came out of nowhere and now it has $300m potential. 

Edited by Heretic

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Haha if this is serious he should be banned for a week and forced to read the archives of how box office works. 

Thats what they told me when I said Avatar was making over 2b. You don't know how box office works they said..

I think its you should do some reading on James Cameron!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Thats what they told me when I said Avatar was making over 2b. You don't know how box office works they said..

I think its you should do some reading on James Cameron!

Still, if you think grossing less than the original is a disappointment, I don’t know what to say.

• Like 1

I will give @IronJimbo this, the jump from Terminator 1 to Terminator 2 is amazing, however neither two were as big as Avatar. A jump for Terminator 1 to Terminator 2 makes more sense than Avatar 1 to Avatar 2. However I’m curious about China.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

You see, although IronJimbo is a bit of a delusional fanboy, at least he plays the fair game here. You think he's harsh on TLJ's drop from TFA? He's 10 times harsher on the Avatar sequel! 2.78b to 3b is a fucking OK result!

A fucking OK result!!!

An ok post except the delusion part! I'm a thinking man and have thinking man reasons for this.

As of now posting on my phone I'm in no state to do a writeup in the Avatar thread.

No one will respect my foresight if they percieve my predictions as blind delusions with no thought behind them other than JAMES CAMERON.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:
13 minutes ago, vc2002 said:

A fucking OK result!!!

An ok post except the delusion part! I'm a thinking man and have thinking man reasons for this.

As of now posting on my phone I'm in no state to do a writeup in the Avatar thread.

No one will respect my foresight if they percieve my predictions as blind delusions with no thought behind them other than JAMES CAMERON.

Since your standard of "OK" is 2.78b to 3b, I take it as a huge compliment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

I will give @IronJimbo this, the jump from Terminator 1 to Terminator 2 is amazing, however neither two were as big as Avatar. A jump for Terminator 1 to Terminator 2 makes more sense than Avatar 1 to Avatar 2. However I’m curious about China.

There's a huge difference. Terminator was a HV sensation, not a theatrical one.  T2 blew up because it had nowhere to go but up.

Avatar, judging by historical comparisons, has nowhere to go but down.  So much has changed since 2009.  I'm sure Avatar will do well, but I don't think it is going to come anywhere near 700 million.  Internationally, I have no idea how it will do, but if I had to guess, I'd say an international total could go anywhere from a billion to two billion.  I really have no idea.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

There's a huge difference. Terminator was a HV sensation, not a theatrical one.  T2 blew up because it had nowhere to go but up.

Avatar, judging by historical comparisons, has nowhere to go but down.  So much has changed since 2009.  I'm sure Avatar will do well, but I don't think it is going to come anywhere near 700 million.  Internationally, I have no idea how it will do, but if I had to guess, I'd say an international total could go anywhere from a billion to two billion.  I really have no idea.

I think Avatar 2 is the most unpredictable giant box office run in the next few years. Thats why im anticipating the release in 2015 2017 2018 2020 2022 so much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Jumanji is one of the stories of the year.  There were some of us who thought it would do well.  I'm not sure if anyone thought it might have a shot at 300 million.  I don't think it will hit that amount, but it sure has a shot at 225, maybe even 250.  

The Last Jedi is just underwhelming and yet it will make about 625-650.  Kind of funny that a 600 million dollar film will be considered a disappointment.  

Pitch Perfect 3 looks like it has a shot at 100 million.

The Greatest Showman is unfortunately doing well also.

Father Figures looks like it could do 20 million.  Huge Success (sarcasm)

3 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I think Avatar 2 is the most unpredictable giant box office run in the next few years. Thats why im anticipating the release in 2015 2017 2018 2020 2022 so much.

I agree.  I will never underestimate Cameron again, but law of averages suggests that Avatar 2 will drop from the first one.  But then again, this is fucking JC, and he really is a GOD.  So who knows.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Christmas baumer said:

Jumanji is one of the stories of the year.  There were some of us who thought it would do well.  I'm not sure if anyone thought it might have a shot at 300 million.  I don't think it will hit that amount, but it sure has a shot at 225, maybe even 250.  

The Last Jedi is just underwhelming and yet it will make about 625-650.  Kind of funny that a 600 million dollar film will be considered a disappointment.  

Pitch Perfect 3 looks like it has a shot at 100 million.

The Greatest Showman is unfortunately doing well also.

Father Figures looks like it could do 20 million.  Huge Success (sarcasm)

To a certain extent AOU was considered a disappointment as well. It is not about the raw money it is a bout expectation of money I'm sure disney projected more than that for the Last Jedi coming off TFA, in a vacuum it's a huge success but life isn't in a vacuum people expected more for the movie hell THR was reporting, wrongly, 750-800 as late as last weekend

3 hours ago, boomboom234 said:

To a certain extent AOU was considered a disappointment as well. It is not about the raw money it is a bout expectation of money I'm sure disney projected more than that for the Last Jedi coming off TFA, in a vacuum it's a huge success but life isn't in a vacuum people expected more for the movie hell THR was reporting, wrongly, 750-800 as late as last weekend

I just hope they go back to what we    I expect of Star Wars.  :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Yeah definitely. It's James Cameron so we could be looking at something like $150M / $1000M (Inflation will have taken Avatar near $1B and SW VII over $1B in 2020) or if it performs like a normal sequel $150 / $500M.

I am really interested for the marketing, because I have no idea what he wants to tell in Avatar 2, 3, 4, 5,...

New Technology?

Do the same character appear in 2,3,4,5 as they did in Avatar?