grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

15 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hard to really compare ESB though when ANH had a bazillion expansions and re-releases and player forever over the course of its "first run." It's real first run is probably closer to the 215m BOM shows by April '78. 

Also the release patterns for ANH and ESB are totally different from ROTJ and on, so they’re kind of their own species. ROTJ was the first SW to open wide immediately.

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why would SW9 drop by 200-220 million?

AOTC is widely considered the worst SW saga movie and ROTS increased substantially.

Sith had Vader. I didn’t see Menace or Clones in theaters, but I was there opening day for Sith. Episode 9 doesn’t have the same sales pitch. I think it will end up with similar gross to Last Jedi, give or take 5% in either direction. 

11 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Why would SW9 drop by 200-220 million?

AOTC is widely considered the worst SW saga movie and ROTS increased substantially.

There was a huge hook for ROTS. And for ROTJ. There is nothing selling 9 except simply being the finale. Plenty of finales have decreased, especially without a big hook or a lot of goodwill going in. Look at movies like Matrix Revolutions, At World's End, Mockingjay 2, Breaking Dawn 2, The Dark Knight Rises, etc. 

Also Sith really didn't increase all that much for having Vader and being marketed as basically the last SW movie ever. Only by 65m adjusted. Prequel reception up to that point definitely cut its potential. 

Edited by MovieMan89

21 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Hard to really compare ESB though when ANH had a bazillion expansions and re-releases and player forever over the course of its "first run." It's real first run is probably closer to the 215m BOM shows by April '78. 

Disagree. My figures (low $300s est.for ANH) were only for its original release period (late 70s).  It made much more than $215m   

It was painful seeing Hamil and Fisher on screen, they're both long past their prime and it wasn't pleasant seeing them on screen. Fisher was terrible, truly no acting range whatsoever. Oh and Hamil's voice? I thought he was going to go full to his full on animated Joker voice. Also, stop with the puppets and lousy character costumes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

One local "found" an extra 4pm showing for Jumanji today, even in this Xmas season of packed showings...I'm gonna see if they "find" anymore before the day is out...probably a sign that Jumanji is continuing its WOM run through today...who knows?  Maybe the 4 day can be up for grabs even with way less showings and less premium screening prices...

PS - It was Father Figures who lost (and that screening for Jumanji is already sold out)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Efron should go back to musicals, looks like the one thing he's actually not box office poison in. With the anomaly of Neighbors, Showman will join Hairspray and HSM3 as his only movies to make 80m+ DOM. Jackman also only seems able to pull those numbers outside of Wolverine in a musical. 

Edited by MovieMan89

28 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

There was a huge hook for ROTS. And for ROTJ. There is nothing selling 9 except simply being the finale. Plenty of finales have decreased, especially without a big hook or a lot of goodwill going in. Look at movies like Matrix Revolutions, At World's End, Mockingjay 2, Breaking Dawn 2, The Dark Knight Rises, etc. 

Also Sith really didn't increase all that much for having Vader and being marketed as basically the last SW movie ever. Only by 65m adjusted. Prequel reception up to that point definitely cut its potential. 

Virtually all of these peaked with the second movie.

Not good comps for SW trilogies which always peak with the first.

• Like 1

I have figured out a way Episode IX can redeem the franchise without destroying the previous two trilogies in the process. Episode 8 is not salvageable. But since it ended where it started essentially, that shouldn't be a problem. I expect ticket sales will plummet if JJ can't put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Fans won't be fooled yet again.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Sith had Vader. I didn’t see Menace or Clones in theaters, but I was there opening day for Sith. Episode 9 doesn’t have the same sales pitch. I think it will end up with similar gross to Last Jedi, give or take 5% in either direction. 

Vader's 1 minute NOOOOOOOOO cameo is why ROTS didn't drop from AOTC:apocalypse:

• Like 1