grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

Ok, but ironically I think it’s the kind of film you would go for if you could see it as fiction, not trying to be an accurate portrayal of the circus. I appreciated they kept the animals mostly out of it, because otherwise I would have been like you and not benn ok with any “romanticizing” of that aspect. But the movie does have a really good message. 

I have no doubt it's a good movie

I'm sure the message is a positive one

Still have no desire to see it.

• Like 1

Just now, That One Guy said:

Also I know I’ve said this so many times already, but BATB is complete garbage and I’m baffled and pissed off by how big it was.  It’s funny how little it’s stayed in the collective public’s memory though, as if it was never good to begin with.

:ph34r:

Spoiler

A bit like Avatar isnt it?

Just now, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Avatar at least was a good movie.

I havent seen Avatar yet, so i cant really comment on its quality.

But that post was meant as a joke anyway :P

BATB is garbage, btw.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I stand by my point that Jumanji has the advantage of beeing virtually the only other choice for a holiday movie for many people besides TLJ. The November releases are now relatively old, PP3 targets female teens, Greatest Showman targets...someone, but definetly isnt something the GA would flock to and Downsizing/Father Figures looks bad and unappealing.

Any other time of the year, and Jumanji woudnt come close to 300M.

Mmm...no don't agree with that. 

December, and by that, I really just mean the weekend the tentpole releases and the Xmas releases, which is all December really is, has ALWAYS had a diverse set of movies targeting most demographics because the market is big enough, and Xmas dailies strong enough to support most films. 

You do see these big, normally family, movies breakout or exceed expectations or even just leg to decent totals because of the holidays year after year.

Jumanji just happens to also be funny and a crowdpleaser, hence it's exceeding expectations on a slightly larger scale. 

Look at Ferdinand. Thought it was going to be crushed by Coco after the Xmas #s, but it has had a sudden resurgence that will probably leave it at an $80m total, which while pales against the other animation companies, is really good for where it started and what it is (supposed to be based on a book, but it looks like an animated offering of the early 2000s).

• Like 1

BATB somehow took an animated film that was so good it became the first animated film nominated for best picture, and turned that into a live action film that is almost razzie worthy. All while following the beats of the animated one fairly closely. I must admit, that is kind of impressive in a way. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Who is excited for the arrival of 2018 and the opening of Insidious: What, Another? to kick off the new year cinema-wise next week?

I always see someone with keys for fingers digging in some girl’s stomach and it’s a nope from me

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1