grim22

New Year's Day Weekend Thread: Late Friday estimates (DHD) - TLJ 19.5M, Jumanji 17.5M, PP3 6.7M, TGS 5.3M

Without me even saying a word my family are currently fighting over wether to watch PP3 or Jumanji.. guess im off to see Jumanji today, hope its as good as you all are letting on! Guess sws isnt in my blood.

Anyway everyone remembers Avatar and its a complete meme that no one remembers it.

2 minutes ago, DAR said:

I always see someone with keys for fingers digging in some girl’s stomach and it’s a nope from me

Yeah, I cringe every time I see the trailer and that scene kicks it off. Then again, I've never seen an Insidious movie and I'm not gonna start now.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Christmas baumer said:

Well, I can't go watch a film about the circus and look at it any other way except for the same way you would look at a film about the Holocaust which shows the Jews playing beach volleyball in a concentration camp.

Heh, I'm not that interested in Greatest Showman mainly because it looks like a grating Luhrmann knock-off, but that was kind of the appeal of Life is Beautiful, no?

24 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

No one predicted a $120m opening for it and a total north of $300m domestic and $700m worldwide. 

IT is the story of the year, easily. 

Why did you not expect Jumanji to get to $100m when it was tracking at $60m opening? 

Historically, American comedies that I have found funny on their first trailers, have massively underwhelmed at the American BO compared to those I find unfunny. 

But, seriously speaking, there were loads of people who probably saw it as yet another remake that didn't need to happen. Or that was what I felt.

Personally, I thought that the body switching, especially the Rock/Hart/Jack Black was ripe for potential, but even then saw only a maximum overperformance at $140m. Wouldn't have been surprised to see it finish at like $60m.

I'm really glad that it has done well. It's not the best movie, or even the most fun, but the holidays have been missing a movie that aims to do (and succeeds) at what Jumanji did for a long time. 

I love fantasy and sci-fi movies, but the Hobbits and Star Wars have sucked up the dates for the last few years and been real mediocre movies leaving not much room for the Jumanji-esque movie. 

December 2018 looks like one of the more interesting months to follow BO-wise for a long time.

11 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

Beauty and the Beast's release made me feel totally disconnected from western civilization as a whole

I was under the impression that you liked these Disney live action flicks?

• Like 1

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

Maybe going under 19 with actuals? :ph34r:

Would be the last bit of proof we need that SW movies in December dont care about calendars. The're their own thing, like you said, impossible to compare to smaller December movies.

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Would be the last bit of proof we need that SW movies in December dont care about calendars. The're their own thing, like you said, impossible to compare to smaller December movies.

Lmfao, no. It would be the last bit of proof we need that WOM IS MIXED AS FUCK.

• Like 1

Just now, MovieMan89 said:

Lmfao, no. It would be the last bit of proof we need that WOM IS MIXED AS FUCK.

I dont really disagree with that. But i think its both: 200M+ OW movies still beeing unpredictable in December and the mixed reception.

1 minute ago, BK007 said:

I was under the impression that you liked these Disney live action flicks?

I've never been on board with their fairy tale reboots. Best I could muster was some grudging respect for Jungle Book's visuals and some appreciation for how easy-going Pete's Dragon was; but I've largely been unmoved by them. Definitely was never excited for BATB.

Mulan I kind of have some hope for just because it'd be nice to see a big-budget Asian movie find an audience here again, but I'm still bracing myself for disappointment.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tribefan695 said:

Heh, I'm not that interested in Greatest Showman mainly because it looks like a grating Luhrmann knock-off, but that was kind of the appeal of Life is Beautiful, no?

No idea.  I can't see it for the reasons I mentioned.

2 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

I've never been on board with their fairy tale reboots. Best I could muster was some grudging respect for Jungle Book's visuals and some appreciation for how easy-going Pete's Dragon was; but I've largely been unmoved by them. Definitely was never excited for BATB.

Mulan I kind of have some hope for just because it'd be nice to see a big-budget Asian movie find an audience here again, but I'm still bracing myself for disappointment.

My thoughts exactly. 

People will appreciate TLJ numbers a lot more when Episode 9 fails to get close to it. There is no hook for Episode 9, like an Episode 3 or 6. Unless they somehow resurrect Darth Vader or something like that. The last film of the trilogy tagline may not be enough. 

1 minute ago, Hades said:

People will appreciate TLJ numbers a lot more when Episode 9 fails to get close to it. There is no hook for Episode 9, like an Episode 3 or 6. Unless they somehow resurrect Darth Vader or something like that. The last film of the trilogy tagline may not be enough. 

My sister would show up day one if they had Rey/Kylo love scene in the trailer