Ezen Baklattan

Best Picture Predictions - 2018

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

imagine if Roma wins best picture, First Reformed wins best actor and The Wife wins best actress. ABC would straight up just cancel the oscars the next day.

Watch them include a ton of forced Disney stuff that will make those Black Panther/A Wrinkle in Time bits from the last ceremony look subtle in comparison. 

New predictions before things really get rolling. In order of how confident I am they get nominated and their chances of winning.

Picture

1. Roma

2. A Star is Born

3. If Beale Street Could Talk

4. The Favourite

5. Mary Poppins Returns

6. Green Book

7. Black Panther

8. Black Kkklansman

If there's 9: First Man

First four alternates: First Reformed, Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Vice, Eighth Grade

Director

1. Alfonso Cuaron

2. Bradley Cooper

3. Barry Jenkins

4. Yorgos Lanthimos

5. Ryan Coogler

Alt: Rob Marshall, somehow

Actor

1. Bradley Cooper

2. Ethan Hawke

3. Christian Bale

4. Rami Malek

5. Viggo Mortensen

First alternate: Lin Manuel Miranda, who I think gets nominated somewhere but I have no idea why he's being campaigned here instead of supporting.

Actress

1. Lady Gaga

2. Melissa McCarthy

3. Emily Blunt

4. Olivia Colman

5. Yalitza Aparicio

Alt: Glenn Close, The Wife

Supporting Actor

1. Sam Elliot

2. Richard E. Grant

3. Mahershala Ali

4. Timothee Chalamet

5. Michael B. Jordan

Alt: Lin Manuel Miranda, who I straight up think would win this category if they change their minds and actually campaign him here. It's Emily Blunt's movie. Just weird, man.

Supporting Actress

1. Regina King, If Beale Street Could Talk

2. Emma Stone, The Favourite

3. Rachel Weisz, The Favourite

4. Amy Adams, Vice

5. Claire Foy, First Man

Alt: Marina De Tavira, Roma

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

I think Lin's only being campaigned for Lead so that he can get a Globe nom for Best Actor - Comedy or Musical. Maybe Disney is more interested in Picture and Blunt when it comes to the Oscars than Lin. Although maybe Lin plays a big part in the movie or has a lot of screentime.

6 hours ago, PANDA said:

I haven’t seen Poppins obviously so idk if he could be pushed into Supporting.  But Lin would easily be the front runner to win if that happened.

Maybe wait for like... one review before saying this. I mean his cockney accent is still pretty bad. I don't know if it's an on purpose tribute to DVD's infamous cockney accent or if his just sucks too.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

me yesterday: if it keeps up momentum maybe first reformed can upset in best screenplay. schrader is def due.

DtRS8KSU8AAQ0-b.jpg

me today: ...maybe eighth grade can pull the upset instead.

lmao, and I almost put it in my Original Screenplay predicts instead of Eighth Grade. Barring Vice being panned (which it probably won't be given many critics like it), Original Screenplay is comfortably going to be that, The Favourite, Roma, A Quiet Place, and Eighth Grade. If Vice really does suck, put Green Book in.

15 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

rst alternate: Lin Manuel Miranda, who I think gets nominated somewhere but I have no idea why he's being campaigned here instead of supporting.

I was swinging by to say just this. With Cooper basically locked, I would catagory fraud so hard and get Supporting which is way more open. 

8 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

mean his cockney accent is still pretty bad. I don't know if it's an on purpose tribute to DVD's infamous cockney accent or if his just sucks too.

Total #Acting Choice:

"Well, if they didn’t like his, they are going to be furious with mine," says Miranda, 36. "I intend to represent a corner of London with my accent that has not yet been invented.

"I'm going to have the worst accent in the history of English accents — I’m going to sound like I’m from another planet," he adds gleefully. "I am really trying to manage expectations."

from USA Today interview. 

me yesterday: if it keeps up momentum maybe first reformed can upset in best screenplay. schrader is def due.

DtRS8KSU8AAQ0-b.jpg

First Reformed is still one of my favorite films of the years, though I do accept the fact that this diminishes awards potential. Poor timing on Schrader's part.

• Like 1

DtRS8KSU8AAQ0-b.jpg

Lolololol First Reformed is done and it was barely a thing beforehand

Edited by PANDA
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i feel like i've seen just as many, if not more reactions shouting out ben whishaw than LMM. i really have no idea why you guys think he'd be a cast iron lock for supporting actor.

To be fair, when I looked at how often the BA noms also got IPA noms (pretty much all we have to go with rn), The supp actors also showed up at IPA somewhere around 85% of the time.

Granted that’s because IPA nominated everyone and the kitchen sink, but it does mean I’d say LMM is on the shortlist of contenders for a nom rn.

It also doesn’t hurt that him and Washington are the only non-white contenders for BA this year,

Edited by PANDA

1 minute ago, PANDA said:

Lolololol First Reformed is done and it was barely a thing beforehand

i think ethan hawke is still gonna get nominated. and there's no real guarantee this catches on. we'll see. some controversies seem to live short term in the memory like that Viggo N word thing seems like it just came and went.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1