Minding the Gap

Of Fathers and Sons

On Her Shoulders

Shirkers

Won’t You Be My Neighbor?

BEST SUPPORTING MALE

Raúl Castillo, We the Animals 

Adam Driver, BlacKkKlansman

Richard E. Grant, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Josh Hamilton, Eighth Grade

John David Washington, Monsters and Men 

BEST SCREENPLAY

Richard Glatzer (Writer/Story By), Rebecca Lenkiewicz & Wash Westmoreland, Colette

Nicole Holofcener & Jeff Whitty, Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Tamara Jenkins, Private Life

Boots Riley, Sorry to Bother You

Paul Schrader, First Reformed

ROBERT ALTMAN AWARD

Suspiria

BEST FIRST SCREENPLAY

Bo Burnham, Eighth Grade 

Christina Choe, Nancy

Cory Finley,  Thoroughbreds 

Jennifer Fox, The Tale 

Quinn Shephard (Writer/Story By) and Laurie Shephard (Story By), Blame

BEST EDITING

Joe Bini, You Were Never Really Here 

Keiko Deguchi, Brian A. Kates & Jeremiah Zagar, We the Animals

Luke Dunkley, Nick Fenton, Chris Gill & Julian Hart, American Animals

Anne Fabini, Alex Hall and Gary Levy, The Tale

Nick Houy, Mid90s

BONNIE AWARD

Debra Granik

Tamara Jenkins

Karyn Kusama

BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM

Burning (South Korea)

The Favourite  (United Kingdom)

Happy as Lazzaro (Italy)

Roma (Mexico)

Shoplifters (Japan)

JOHN CASSAVETES AWARD

A Bread Factory

En el Septimo Dia

Never Goin’ Back 

Socrates

Thunder Road

BEST SUPPORTING FEMALE

Kayli Carter, PRIVATE LIFE

Tyne Daly, A BREAD FACTORY

Regina King, IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK

Thomasin Harcourt McKenzie, LEAVE NO TRACE

J. Smith-Cameron, NANCY

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY

Ashley Connor, Madeline’s Madeline 

Diego Garcia, Wildlife

Benjamin Loeb, Mandy

Sayombhu Mukdeeprom, Suspiria

Zak Mulligan, We the Animals

PRODUCERS AWARD – The 22nd annual Producers Award honors emerging producers who, despite highly limited resources, demonstrate the creativity, tenacity and vision required to produce quality, independent films. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted grant.

Jonathan Duffy and Kelly Williams

Gabrielle Nadig

Shrihari Sathe

SOMEONE TO WATCH AWARD – The 25th annual Someone to Watch Award recognizes a talented filmmaker of singular vision who has not yet received appropriate recognition. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted grant.

Alex Moratto

Director of Sócrates

Ioana Uricaru

Director of Lemonade

Jeremiah Zagar

Director of We the Animals

TRUER THAN FICTION AWARD – The 24th annual Truer Than Fiction Award is presented to an emerging director of non-fiction features who has not yet received significant recognition. The award includes a $25,000 unrestricted grant.

Alexandria Bombach

Director of On Her Shoulders

Bing Liu

Director of Minding the Gap

RaMell Ross

Director of Hale County This Morning, This Evening

• Like 2

^^ awesome that kayli carter got nominated for Private Life. just watched that on netflix like two days ago and she kills in it. thomasin mckenzie as supporting for leave no trace makes no sense but whatever cool to see the nod. that best film line up is rules, i'm pretty sure except for beale street cos i haven't seen it that all those movies are in my top 10 right now.

There are some really great nominations all around! We are definitely able to see who these critic groups are rallying behind; Ethan Hawke is continuing to progress further forward, as is Richard E. Grant and Regina King. Glenn Close gets another one, Toni Colette gets another one, Carey Mulligan gets another one. Can You Ever Forgive Me? is progressing further towards the Disaster Artist type of Adapted Screenplay nomination, where it's there less because it's a major contender and more because it's a genuinely great script.

List of films I haven't seen yet that I want to see that got nominations here:

If Beale Street Could Talk

Leave No Trace

You Were Never Really Here

We The Animals

Wildlife

The Wife

Support The Girls

Madeline's Madeline

Searching

Blindspotting

Socrates

Can You Ever Forgive Me?

Private Life

Nancy

Mid-90s

En el Septimo Dia

Thunder Road

and basically every one of those documentary contenders

SO many interesting films...

Edited by Slambros

I said this earlier in the Weekend Thread but for all the hand-wringing over First Man's box office numbers potentially dooming it in the awards race, all the other post-A Star is Born contenders whether on the indie front (Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Boy Erased) or on the mainstream one (Widows, potentially Green Book depending on next weekend's numbers) haven't really caught fire at the box office either. If The Favourite also underwhelms in terms of PTA next weekend it'll only get worse. That movie seems to be the last hope for a $100K+ PTA this year since If Beale Street Could Talk probably won't do it because Annapurna.

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

I said this earlier in the Weekend Thread but for all the hand-wringing over First Man's box office numbers potentially dooming it in the awards race, all the other post-A Star is Born contenders whether on the indie front (Can You Ever Forgive Me?, Boy Erased) or on the mainstream one (Widows, potentially Green Book depending on next weekend's numbers) haven't really caught fire at the box office either. If The Favourite also underwhelms in terms of PTA next weekend it'll only get worse. That movie seems to be the last hope for a $100K+ PTA this year since If Beale Street Could Talk probably won't do it because Annapurna.

I guess I’m biased since I found the film pretty forgettable, by First Man May still get in.

Not sure about Widows, especially since the academy all but gave GONE GIRL the cold shoulder, but I’ll have to get a new list in order soon.

Just now, Spagspiria said:

I guess I’m biased since I found the film pretty forgettable, by First Man May still get in.

Not sure about Widows, especially since the academy all but gave GONE GIRL the cold shoulder, but I’ll have to get a new list in order soon.

First Man will still make a strong showing among the techs unlike Widows, so that automatically gives it a leg up. After seeing Widows I can easily see it being a one nomination only or nothing kind of deal but not sure where. Maybe Viola but I suppose she could easily fall through the cracks of that packed category. Kaluuya's not happening even with Supporting Actor being as dead as it is because he's just not in the movie enough.

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

First Man will still make a strong showing among the techs unlike Widows, so that automatically gives it a leg up. After seeing Widows I can easily see it being a one nomination only or nothing kind of deal but not sure where. Maybe Viola but I suppose she could easily fall through the cracks of that packed category. Kaluuya's not happening even with Supporting Actor being as dead as it is because he's just not in the movie enough.

I could (sadly) see it not get anything over the line and end up with an editing and/or sound nod only a la DRIVE.

7 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

first man is getting those darkest hour/hacksaw ridge dad movie votes. i still think it'll be nominated.

Same. Ditto Gosling in Best Actor. I currently have him, Cooper, Bale, Mortensen, and Malek in there but could see somebody get snubbed. Maybe Mortensen if Green Book really does end up being a total no1curr at the box office?

Really liked Widows, but after seeing it I think y’all are right.  It’ll probably get mostly shut out, that definitely leaves an opening for First Man.

However, Green Book is also starting to look week.

I also think there’s an opening for Poppins to get in if it’s really as good as it’s being made out to be.

It’s really looking like the indie stuff that’s going to get ignored (Eighth Grade, Leave No Place, The Hate U Give) and the commercial stuff (Black Panther, A Quiet Place, Poppins) are going to turn out as the more awards worthy stuff than any of the actual awards contenders minus Roma, A Star is Born, Vice, Beale Street and the Favorite

Edited by PANDA