the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

Just now, a2knet said:

but it's also the 1st 200 opener that is a sequel :). if you shift from 200+ to 190+ then AOU gets added. if we take 180 odd then CW (179 ow) get included.

but aren't those May summer release? Christmas/NY should help it to neutralize the "sequel" effect.... 

1 hour ago, titanic2187 said:

on the downside, TLJ is the 1st 200m openers, that likely failed to reach 3x legs 

considering there's only been 4 200M+ openers in history, three of which were kind of "the first of the class". I mean, TA, JW and TFA were the first movies (after many years of absence -TFA, JW- , or the very first -TA-), had a huge hype built after years ... and the fourth one, TLJ is an immediate 2-years-alfer-sequel to one of those. I would say not matching a x3 and getting to the top6 or top5 dom is kind of impressive imo.

TLJ has already surpassed AOU (the almost 5th 200M+ opener being an immediate sequel to TA). AOU made x2.4, and TLJ is already at 2.5 and going on. 

Don't understand why so many of you hate TLJ so much. Seems you are making money out of it. 

Edited by meriodejaneiro
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

wat

It's MLK weekend (which has been kind to several African American-skewing hits in the past) and it's been getting a sizeable ad push (I wouldn't expect that where you live :redcapes:). Plus it looks like two hours of Cookie Monster literally kicking ass and who doesn't want to see that?

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Predictions for next week (all 4-day):

Proud Mary: $25M

The Post: $24M

Paddington 2: $21M

The Commuter: $14M

I think this for 4 day:

Proud Mary: $18M

The Post: $45M

Paddington 2: $30M

The Commuter: $15M

25 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

those greatest showman songs are crazy catchy. that's 90% of the reason it's doing well right there. the soundtrack about to go to #1 as well.

Gag, that means we’re going to be hearing This is Me and those other atrocities all over the place for the next 6 months or so.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

It's MLK weekend (which has been kind to several African American-skewing hits in the past) and it's been getting a sizeable ad push (I wouldn't expect that where you live :redcapes:). Plus it looks like two hours of Cookie Monster literally kicking ass and who doesn't want to see that?

I was super excited for Proud Mary but it doesn’t look like the studio has much faith in it.

1 minute ago, Chaz said:

I was super excited for Proud Mary but it doesn’t look like the studio has much faith in it.

I'm not expecting it to have particularly good reviews or legs but opening weekend should be kind to it at least. If No Good Deed could pull off a $20M+ opening...

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

WOM might be really bad because Sony isn't doing previews for it.

Just now, Chaz said:

The Greatest Showman is the third top ten soundtrack for Benj Pastek and Justin Paul in eleven months.

La La Land hit #2 and Dear Evan Hansen hit #8 last year. The Greatest Showman just hit #1.

WHOA OH AAAA OH!

1 minute ago, Chaz said:

The Greatest Showman is the third top ten soundtrack for Benj Pastek and Justin Paul in eleven months.

La La Land hit #2 and Dear Evan Hansen hit #8 last year. The Greatest Showman just hit #1.

Lol, of course TGS would sell better then their two good soundtracks.

Long time lurker here. Found this place during TFA's run and have been following the daily/weekend threads ever since. I have always enjoyed following box office numbers but never in real in depth detail. Multiplier? What's that? Holiday schedule? Say what now?

I have learned a lot since coming here and many of you provide great insight into why and how box office runs behave the way they do.

Furthermore, a lot of you are just plain hilarious and crack me up a regular basis. I probably won't post a lot (more of a lurker) but rest assured I'll be following this site for years to come.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

but aren't those May summer release? Christmas/NY should help it to neutralize the "sequel" effect.... 

Yes they are summer sequels and they will do much less than SW8's 2.85x. AOU did 2.40x, CW did 2.28x. How much more would AOU, CW done in december with the same mammoth ows? Both SWs opened like it were summer tbh. I don't think SW8 performed at optimum levels and should have at least crossed 675 with that ow, but we are being tough on it's multiplier due to December release.

Edited by a2knet