the beast

Weekend Thread - Insidious 29.6M, Jumanji 37.2M, TLJ 23.7M, TGS 13.8M, PP3 10.3

1 minute ago, RyneOh1040 said:

totally agree.  it's not like it has an easy hook for the GA and with Sorkin/Chastain GG noms I feel like it's solid.

Exactly. It's chugging along just fine. We'll see how it does next week when The Post arrives into 2800 theaters + awards buzz, but it's an entertaining movie that, IMO, can do well without a loud awards buzz. It has some awards buzz but its strength, IMO, is in entertainment factor. It's different. It's a poker movie understandable to non-poker people. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RyneOh1040 said:

but chastain and sorkin are both nominated....

also very confused about the Chastain comment she's been in more financially successful films than not.

Well her last 4 wide releases prior to this have been disasters. 

I like Chastain, but something has been up lately. 

Edited by Krissykins

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Well her last 4 wide releases prior to this have been disasters. 

if you think the audience who went to see a sequel to snow white and the huntsman were going to see it because jessica chastain was in it..i mean..come on.

same with crimson peak, she's got very little screen time there and it's a gothic period piece that was lucky to make what it did.

zookeepers wife actually had a really solid result considering the screen count.

miss sloane is the only flat out miss that is due to chastain.

7 minutes ago, TheForceuser707 said:

That wasn't where I saw the thing originally. That's what I just said right?

And anyway even if it were true they'd never admit it, so don't be so cynical about it.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/3k5qvj/star-wars-the-last-jedi-vice-review

Here's another.

A review of TLJ with the $800M number thrown in without any link of any kind saying it needs $800m to break even. 

Again, you provide convincing evidence.

Spoiler

Narrator: He didn't provide convincing evidence. 

5 minutes ago, Gamera said:

That she was the main star in?

The awful Miss Sloane could not not bombed any harder.

Miss Sloane and MG have nothing in common save the same star. MS flopped with a good reason - it was a preachy crapfest with extremely unlikable main character. MG isn't an agenda movie. It's fun and Molly's a good person. Totes different movies and appeal. MG could develop some WOM cause it's good times at the cinema which MS wasn't. IMO, only the onslaught of adult-oriented movies may eat into MG boxoffice but otherwise it's not comparable to MS. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

A review of TLJ with the $800M number thrown in without any link of any kind saying it needs $800m to break even. 

Hide contents

Narrator: He didn't provide convincing evidence. 

The link said the film needs $800M to break even.

NOT that it cost $800M and so needs much more to break even.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MrGamer said:

Reveal hidden contents

Only going by what I heard.

Of course there can be folly in subscribing to rumors.

3 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I was wrong on the I, Tonya number, it looks like it did $700k+ out of 242 theaters.  This one looks like it will break out nicely in the next 2 weeks.  

Any word on how many theatres it’ll be in next week?

7 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I was wrong on the I, Tonya number, it looks like it did $700k+ out of 242 theaters.  This one looks like it will break out nicely in the next 2 weeks.  

Great numbers, I think it's supposed to go wide on the 19th so it's in a good position if it picks up some Globes tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, The Shape of Pasta said:

Any word on how many theatres it’ll be in next week?

If those numbers hold up and it does near $2m this weekend, I would guess they at least double next week to 500 or so theaters.  The Golden Globes might fuel it even more if Robie or Janney win and then maybe it goes to 1,000 theaters by 1/19.  

• Like 2