kayumanggi

AQUAMAN | 813.4 M overseas ● 1148.5 M worldwide

What's amazing is that AQM is looking at >835 WW-China.

Currently on 733 WW-China:

42 more dom (330 total), 45 more OS-China-Japan (after 25 odd OS-China weekend) and 15 from Japan will give

733 + 42 + 45 + 15 = 835

It has a realistic shot at >850 WW-China.

WW-China for recent CBMs

AIW ~1690

AQM 835-855

DP1 783

BVS 778

SMH 764

GOTG2 763

SS 747

WONDR 731

DP2 744 (including PG13 release)

THOR3 742

VENOM 584

AM2 500

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 6

Guys, let's not overdo it. Yeah, it was successful, but making $1B, or even $1.1B, in 2019 is hardly spectacular. Aquaman will probably reach a peak rank of about 25th on the WW chart. 10 years ago, the 25th biggest film was 'Spider-Man 2' at $783.8M. While a very strong result, it is hardly anything ground-breaking.

All-time WW chart in January 2009: https://web.archive.org/web/20090116175944/https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

It is, however, WB's first film to reach $1B since 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' in January 2013 – a full 6 years ago. It never felt that long until I actually thought about it. Disney made the mistake of not releasing Solo on Christmas. The bitterness from 'Last Jedi' would have faded and WB would have never dared to set Aquaman against Han Solo. Well done for WB to grab the opportunity. Outside 2 DC films (Dark Knight Rises and Aquaman), WB has Hobbit #1 and HP7:P2. The Dark Knight reached $997M before being re-released, 6 months after its original release date, to cross the billion-dollar mark.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 6

1 minute ago, Quigley said:

Guys, let's not overdo it. Yeah, it was successful, but making $1B, or even $1.1B, in 2019 is hardly spectacular. Aquaman will probably reach a peak rank of about 25th on the WW chart. 10 years ago, the 25th biggest film was 'Spider-Man 2' at $783.8M. While a very strong result, it is hardly anything ground-breaking.

All-time WW chart in January 2009: https://web.archive.org/web/20090116175944/https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

It is, however, WB's first film to reach $1B since 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' in January 2013 – a full 6 years ago. It never felt that long until I actually thought about it. Disney made the mistake of not releasing Solo on Christmas. The bitterness from 'Last Jedi' would have faded and WB would have never dared to set Aquaman against Han Solo. Well done for WB to grab the opportunity. Outside 2 DC films (Dark Knight Rises and Aquaman), WB has Hobbit #1 and HP7:P2. The Dark Knight reached $997M before being re-released, 6 months after its original release date, to cross the billion-dollar mark.

Those points prove why AQM's run is mind-blowing.

-SM2's bo was spectacular back then and AQM being in the same 25th spot is great honour.

-How tough it's been to crack 1b since Hobbit1 for WB! Who thought AQM would do it post BVS and JL's performance, that too with ease (over 1b by 100-150m). 

-Look at the WB 1b+ company it has : Nolan's Batman, PJ's Hobbit and the Potter finale.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Quigley said:

This couldn't have been more of a Disney parody stan bot if you tried...

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Quigley said:

lol nice troll post.  AQM is going to approach Civil War.  Just crazy.  NO ONE, except me, predicted it would do this well.  I had it pegged to beat TDKR to become DC's biggest grosser ever. 

1 hour ago, Quigley said:

So an unknown character of SH genre for general audiences making +$1.1b is not impressive? It is the second biggest beginning for a SH ever, just behind Black Panther, and bordering what Civil War did (yes, the same amount than what Captain America did with the help of other 11 avengers).

And just to point that it seems that what The Dark Knight did was just because of it was very lucky to be re-released and make the incredible amount of... $6m more. Well, let's remember than in 2008, just 3 films had done 1 billion: Titanic, ROTK and POTC2 (2 legendary films and a huge blockbuster. That's all). The Dark Knight was the 4th film making it ever. I guess that to rank #4 WW is not an easy task... Infinity War ranks #4 WW today.

(Talking about re-releases, let's remember too that Titanic needed it to reach $2b, and both Jurassic Park and Phantom Menace to reach $1b. I do not think there is nothing to be ashamed because of it).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Aquaman did INSANE relative both to my expectations (2+x) and its budget (probably 6x+). I do think it’s reasonable to point out that low billions in 2019 is not quite the exclusive club it used to be.

That's never pointed out with the Marvel films. Never. I don't like double standards. If it's not an achievement then why did people say that it was when Black Panther did it last year?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

That's never pointed out with the Marvel films. Never. I don't like double standards. If it's not an achievement then why did people say that it was when Black Panther did it last year?

BP didn’t end up low billions, it got to the mid billions and top 10. But I definitely saw some people point out that its 1.34 wasn’t as crazy as HP2’s 1.34, and I completely agree. 

People make up threshold's for the DC films. It's been happening sense the beginning. Every DC film could have made 1 billion and people would have found a way to downplay that. Meanwhile Thor Ragnarok is the biggest hit ever at 854mil. I loathe Batman v Superman and find Suicide Squad and JL to be poor movies but I've never understood this. People talk more favorably about Ant-Man and Wasp's box office numbers than Aquaman's.

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Quigley said:

There’s no downplaying any film making 1 Billion. Especially Aquaman

55 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

750M worldwide would’ve been great for Aquaman. 1.1B is pretty astonishing tbh and an amazing run. First 1B Film that isn’t Disney or Jurassic World since 2014. It’s a unimaginative success no matter how you spin it 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Steele131 said:

750M worldwide would’ve been great for Aquaman. 1.1B is pretty astonishing tbh and an amazing run. First 1B Film that isn’t Disney or Jurassic World since 2014. It’s a unimaginative success no matter how you spin it 

Exactly. 750mil (300mil dom and 450mil overseas) would have been great for the film. People are just moving the goalposts now because it didn't score a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes. Aquaman demolished Mary Poppins and Bumblebee even with the critics and bloggers trying to manufacture hype for them at every turn and calling for Aquaman to flop for over a year. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 3