kayumanggi

AQUAMAN | 813.4 M overseas ● 1148.5 M worldwide

3 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Some people are in disbelief or denial of how well this has done. Honestly I'm still a little shocked it's done this well (much less shocked after seeing the film of course). 

The numbers are shocking. The numbers are especially shocking to people who continue to act like Zack Snyder is directing every DC film. James Wan is not remotely a polarizing filmmaker. He knows how to make a popcorn movie for the masses. 

• Like 3

I do agree that 1B isn't nearly as impressive as it used to be and movies now making that amount is more 'normal'. But come on, almost nobody expected AQM to do 1B let alone 1.15B. This movie would have been a success if it did 650m + WW. I mean GG was a great success for marvel, AQM 1.15B for a pretty unknown property especially where I live is INSANE. If you ask everybody In this forum to make a guess 8 months for its release it would have been more common to see $500m predictions than $1B+. This movies performance has been extremely good.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Quigley said:

Guys, let's not overdo it. Yeah, it was successful, but making $1B, or even $1.1B, in 2019 is hardly spectacular. Aquaman will probably reach a peak rank of about 25th on the WW chart. 10 years ago, the 25th biggest film was 'Spider-Man 2' at $783.8M. While a very strong result, it is hardly anything ground-breaking.

All-time WW chart in January 2009: https://web.archive.org/web/20090116175944/https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

It is, however, WB's first film to reach $1B since 'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' in January 2013 – a full 6 years ago. It never felt that long until I actually thought about it. Disney made the mistake of not releasing Solo on Christmas. The bitterness from 'Last Jedi' would have faded and WB would have never dared to set Aquaman against Han Solo. Well done for WB to grab the opportunity. Outside 2 DC films (Dark Knight Rises and Aquaman), WB has Hobbit #1 and HP7:P2. The Dark Knight reached $997M before being re-released, 6 months after its original release date, to cross the billion-dollar mark.

Log off and never return to these boards. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Steele131 said:

750M worldwide would’ve been great for Aquaman. 1.1B is pretty astonishing tbh and an amazing run. First 1B Film that isn’t Disney or Jurassic World since 2014. It’s a unimaginative success no matter how you spin it 

There was also Furious 7 and Minions in 2015, but yeah the point still stands. 

15 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

People make up threshold's for the DC films. It's been happening sense the beginning. Every DC film could have made 1 billion and people would have found a way to downplay that. Meanwhile Thor Ragnarok is the biggest hit ever at 854mil. I loathe Batman v Superman and find Suicide Squad and JL to be poor movies but I've never understood this. People talk more favorably about Ant-Man and Wasp's box office numbers than Aquaman's.

The Bar is constantly move everytime DC achieve a great threshold.

8 hours ago, pepsa said:

I do agree that 1B isn't nearly as impressive as it used to be and movies now making that amount is more 'normal'. But come on, almost nobody expected AQM to do 1B let alone 1.15B. This movie would have been a success if it did 650m + WW. I mean GG was a great success for marvel, AQM 1.15B for a pretty unknown property especially where I live is INSANE. If you ask everybody In this forum to make a guess 8 months for its release it would have been more common to see $500m predictions than $1B+. This movies performance has been extremely good.

Making a Billion is no easy feat not even in todays market.

1 billion is undeniably easier - half the billion dollar club is comprised of movies released in the last 4 years. And TDK, ROTK, DMC doing it 10-15 years ago, with no 3D and before China started generating box office on par with the US will always remain the far more impressive feat.

But still...IT'S A FUCKING BILLION! Finishing on 1.1b is insane for this movie and MOST movies, so dismissing this is asinine (or sour grapes, at best).

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I wish I'd saw this "one billion is easier" talk in the Disney threads... 

Dude, come off it. Aquaman is doing gangbusters. Everyone is this thread knows it, and has said as much. Please take your “DC is persecuted” whining somewhere that it actually makes sense, like the Fanboy Wars thread.

9 minutes ago, Thanos Legion said:

Dude, come off it. Aquaman is doing gangbusters. Everyone is this thread knows it, and has said as much. Please take your “DC is persecuted” whining somewhere that it actually makes sense, like the Fanboy Wars thread.

I didn't say DC is persecuted. BvS and JL should have made a billion and are bad movies. Suicide Squad is a bad movie that made a lot of money. Man of Steel should have done better as well. DC deserves most of the crap they get when they fail. But Aquaman is a billion dollar film with solid word of mouth and I've seen many trying to downplay that and I will talk about that. It's not in my head, there has been an effort to downplay its success.

21 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I didn't say DC is persecuted.

Fair enough. It's been a long day, and I was unnecessarily snappish. That said, I simply can't agree with 

21 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I've seen many trying to downplay that and I will talk about that. It's not in my head, there has been an effort to downplay its success.

this. Do you have any concrete examples? Just mentioning the irrefutable fact that 1B is slightly less special when it's a 40+ member club than when it was single digit sized doesn't count, that's a more general topic of conversation that comes up in plenty of discussions when movies pass 1B. 

Edited by Thanos Legion