Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

3 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

I thought they announced Val Kilmer and Anthony Edwards were coming back.

That would be a neat trick.  

• Haha 1

You all got my attention, I just checked and TC hasn't done dramas since at least 16 years.

It basicaly peaked at the end of the 90's/early 2000 and since  Vanillar Sky in 2001 his non action/sf movies have been :

Lion For Lambs
Valkyrie ( had a bit of action I think still)

American Made ( still physical and he shows he can fly...)

So the Tom Cruise you are fantasizing has been gone for a long time now...

Tom is in his missile Age now.

:shades::rock:

Edited by The Futurist

5 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

You all got my attention, I just checked and TC hasn't done dramas since at least 16 years.

It basicaly peaked at the end of the 90's/early 2000 and since  Vanillar Sky in 2001 his non action/sf movies have been :

Lion For Lambs
Valkyrie ( had a bit of action I think still)

Valkyrie is not action but thriller with action in it, I guess?

American Made is not an action movie btw.

2 hours ago, Alli said:

I think he's stubborn and wants that box office hit that's eluding him this past decade. But what he can't see is that the more he insists with these action movies, the more the public reject them. Why can't he see that teens make action movies hits these days and he's too old to appeal to them. He needs to do movie that appeal to the older audience....and they enjoy good dramas, good movies, not action junk

The idea of a 50 plus guy being a fighter pilot actually flying fighters is just plain silly. That is a young man's game;  you need instant reflexes to survive in combat.. When you reach your mid thirties your active flying days in figthers are over. you move up to command or out of the service altogether. (although ex fighter pilots usually get hired by airliners;the physical demands on a airline pilot are not neralry as great as a fighter pilot

I think most people know this, and 5o plus Tom flying combat will probably be laughed off the screen. I hope the screenwriters realize this.

11 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

So whats Tom Cruise gonna be flying in this one?  An F-22?  An F-22 is laughably superior to anything else flying today, not just in maneuverability, its completely invisible to enemy radars.  They either got to nerf the plane for the movie or make a fictional enemy plane that can match it otherwise Tom Cruise could take out 5 enemy jets with his eyes closed.

A.The US Navy does not fly the F-22.

B.It's a good fighter but not the superweapon you think it is\

C. There is no such thing as a plane completely invisible to radar. The F'22 is designed to have as low a radar profile as possible ,but that is not the same as completely invisible. It can be detected and shot at..which happened in Syria.

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

The idea of a 50 plus guy being a fighter pilot actually flying fighters is just plain silly.

No matter his age in reality, I imagine he's not gonna play a 50 year old. The character will be younger

Edited by Alli

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

The idea of a 50 plus guy being a fighter pilot actually flying fighters is just plain silly. That is a young man's game;  you need instant reflexes to survive in combat.. When you reach your mid thirties your active flying days in figthers are over. you move up to command or out of the service altogether. (although ex fighter pilots usually get hired by airliners;the physical demands on a airline pilot are not neralry as great as a fighter pilot

I think most people know this, and 5o plus Tom flying combat will probably be laughed off the screen. I hope the screenwriters realize this.

Top Gun was known for being a very serious and accurate war film.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

So whats Tom Cruise gonna be flying in this one?  An F-22?  An F-22 is laughably superior to anything else flying today, not just in maneuverability, its completely invisible to enemy radars.  They either got to nerf the plane for the movie or make a fictional enemy plane that can match it otherwise Tom Cruise could take out 5 enemy jets with his eyes closed.

Everyone knows the spitfire is the greatest plane ever built 

10 minutes ago, HesAPooka said:

Didn't imagine people would be interested in this but I check twitter and this picture has more likes and retweets than anything Mission Impossible that he's posted including the first trailer.

Right now, in a market where franchises are releasing multiple films in the same year... nostalgia feels fresh. Nostalgia sells. Top Gun is one of, if not the most, iconic roles of Tom Cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

A.The US Navy does not fly the F-22.

B.It's a good fighter but not the superweapon you think it is\

C. There is no such thing as a plane completely invisible to radar. The F'22 is designed to have as low a radar profile as possible ,but that is not the same as completely invisible. It can be detected and shot at..which happened in Syria.

The US attaches radar reflectors to F-22s in Syria, making them highly visible to radar in order to hide their true radar signatures in order to avoid letting adversaries study it and learn how to counter it.  The Russians claim their S-400 and upcoming S-500 anti-air systems can pick up stealth jets, but thats highly suspect.  They might be able to see it little, but its radar signature isn't strong enough for a weapons lock.

30 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

So long as it stays true to the original I cannot wait for this. One of the movies I am really looking forward to, hope it can pull big numbers. 

it's going to be next year's surprise breakout tentpole film

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2