Neo

Top Gun Maverick | May 27, 2022 | Catch it in theaters...again on December 2nd! | Comes to Paramount+ on December 22!

2 hours ago, mikeymichael said:

Here's a question - when's the last non-superhero movie that had this much buzz? Avatar? A Pixar movie? One of the Harry Potters? I might be missing something obvious.

I'm thinking this could approach a 200m opening weekend. Three day. 

1 hour ago, Ronin46 said:

200M 3 Day?

I was thinking 13M Previews leading to 130M 4 day or am I lowballing? 

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I think this is the rare opening where the range of what could happen could be historic.  We know at a minimum this is opening big, but how big is the question.  

Does $200m sound crazy?  Of course, but look where the buzz is heading on this just based off trailers and reviews.  Now imagine that WOM, true old fashioned WOM that brings an explosive gross that only huge old school blockbuster movie star driven popcorn movies can bring, kicks in by Friday morning.  

I think I said this on here after I watched the full movie, but I got that goosebumps hair standing up feeling from this that I have only gotten a few times in my movie going life when it comes to a blockbuster new release.  Back to the Future and the original Batman gave me that in the 80's.  Jurassic Park and Independence Day in the 90's.  Lord of the Rings and The Dark Knight in the 2000's and Avengers/Infinity War/Endgame in the 2010's.  

Stuff that just hit the mainstream and took off like crazy and gave you that magical feeling only seeing something in the dark on the big screen can give you.  Stuff that enters the cultural zeitgeist.  

I think we are about to witness that in a week.  

Lets tone things back a bit. It's going to do really well but there's literally nothing pointing to a $200M 3-day opening. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MessiahXXR said:

Lets tone things back a bit. It's going to do really well but there's literally nothing pointing to a $200M 3-day opening. 

There was nothing pointing to as high of an opening as a lot of films end up with.  

I'm not saying it will do $200m or close to it, but simply putting it out there that crazy shit has happened and every single time we all think we all know the rules and limits of the box office, there is a film that comes out and crushes what we previously knew.  

The conditions are ripe for it.  Doesn't mean it will happen or is likely, but the conditions are there.  Shitloads of screen space, gigantic nearly 4 quad movie, insane reviews, walk up heavy, WOM monster, old school movie star, long holiday weekend, etc....

Edited by EmpireCity
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, mikeymichael said:

Here's a question - when's the last non-superhero movie that had this much buzz? Avatar? A Pixar movie? One of the Harry Potters? I might be missing something obvious.

I'm thinking this could approach a 200m opening weekend. Three day. 

Let's cool down the expectation since some while ago there are still people thought this will be most "anticipated" flop.  

Anything above 100m 3 days is already very amazing. 

the solo top critic rotten review is one of the worst reviews i ever seen, if seem like the person hates cruise therefore the movie is crap, he thinks the original is one of worst films ever made , how can he be a top critic?

Edited by Ryan Reynolds
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MessiahXXR said:

but there's literally nothing pointing to a $200M 3-day opening. 

Well... not literally nothing. :ph34r: 

(Just a really really really outlier reading coming out of Sacto :ph34r:)

((which in the grand scheme of things might as well be nothing considering just how much of an outlier Sacto is being currently — still... had to be said))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

the solo top critic rotten review is one of the worst reviews i ever seen, if seem like the person hates cruise therefore the movie is crap, he thinks the original is one of worst films ever made , how can he be a top critic?

And that guy is on metacritic too. I imagine he'll give it a red rating. In the end it doesn't matter, but still weird guy

3 hours ago, wildphantom said:

There’s a definite mania I can feel for it coming out in the UK.  Not quite NTTD, NWH level….but not far off. 

it is everywhere. 

I think the Royals being at the red carpet last night gave a big push. All the ties to the Jubilee celebrations, holidays the week after the film's release. It's in a prime position to do some good business. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FilmFincher said:

I think the Royals being at the red carpet last night gave a big push. All the ties to the Jubilee celebrations, holidays the week after the film's release. It's in a prime position to do some good business. 

definitely. We all knew the Kate Middleton Tom Cruise photo op would be gangbusters for the world’s media. I don’t even think the marketing team could have quite imagined how iconic some of those pictures would end up being.  Cruise works the promotion circuit like no other star.