grim22

BOTs Top 25 Movies of 2017 | NOLANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

If Thor makes it I’m leaving the forums

So this maybe your last day here.  Hope it was fun for you :P 

While I probably wouldn't have put Thor on my list either, I won't be surprised if it shows up soon 

Edited by 75Live
  • Like 1

Spoiler

mother!

mother-movie-poster.jpg

From @WrathOfHan

"Wow, you really love Him. God help you."

No movie in 2017 can quite replicate the experience of watching mother! There has not been a studio film as divisive as this in YEARS. mother! works so well because of how confident Darren Aronofsky is in his work. He took a script he wrote in a few days, went over to Paramount, and somehow got it greenlit with no interference from the studio. Combine that with an A-lister like Jennifer Lawrence, and there is an interesting concoction afoot. Aronofsky invites you into his creation but does not tell you what to think. Some are enamored by this hellhole and allow him to take hold of their hearts out of their chests. Others see the movie as a shallow allegory that acts bold solely for the sake of being shocking. The believers see Jennifer Lawrence giving the best performance of her career as a helpless victim, yet the dissenters see her performance as one-note and repetitive. Almost nobody is stuck in the middle on this movie, and it isn't hard to see why. For me, mother! is one of the best films of the decade. Aronofsky's confidence and Lawrence's vulnerability are why I and many others love this film so much. mother! is simply horror at its finest.

User Reviews:

Aronofsky has crafted an absolute mindfuck of a film. There are so many ways to interpret mother!, yet none of them feel quite right. This is a movie that requires you to digest what you've watched and think about what it means. Everyone is on their A-game in the film, especially Lawrence. Filming the entire movie from her perspective (save for a couple of shots) immerses you into this home and immediately lets you sympathize with mother. Michelle Pfeiffer gives a hilariously bitchy performance too despite some limited screentime. mother! is a piece of art that I will be revisiting many times in the future. 10/10 | A+

@WrathOfHan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 5
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

it's in the exact same spot it was in on my list but i'm still mad about this.

• Like 2
  • Disbelief 1

Spoiler

Baby Driver

baby-driver-poster-4.jpg

BhZiILl.png

m1SJ6pW.png

Edgar Wright returns to the director's chair after quite some time and delivers a movie which finally crosses over from just the geek audience to more general acceptance. The movie was fun and had good performances by the supporting cast. Personally i felt that Elgort's character was not defined well enough by the performance but luckily everything around the character was top notch. 

The movie has an energy to it from the first scene onwards which keeps the movie propelled throughout

User Reviews:

I give this movie an A, btw. 9/10 @cannastop

Pristine craft and execution. Wright really considered just about everything. It's meticulous in its design and process. Major props especially to the sound design, which might be the best I've seen heard in a long time.

The criticisms of the characters are valid. I thought that the presentation of Baby in the early scenes was really good, but there isn't a lot of depth there. Elgort is fine, and James is pretty great, but neither is given anything particularly meaty to work with. The supporting roles, at least, are provided enough to ham it up for some enjoyment. Both Foxx and Hamm are pretty stellar, and Spacey hits the right vibe.

Not as many laughs as I'd expect from a Wright film, but there are some really, really good ones. 

It's a concept that really wouldn't work in the hands of another director who isn't a much of a perfectionist as Wright but in his hands, the film really does work.

4/5

@DameronRoc

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1