grim22

BOTs Top 25 Movies of 2017 | NOLANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

<33

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I feel like such a fraud. My review is up here for Paddington, but I didn't even include it on my list.

Didnt pay enough attention and thought it would be a 2018 film. Woops

This came up every couple of pages in this thread and yet people still missed it. That makes me so sad. While I'm glad Paddington was on this list at all I do believe the movie is deserving of a top10. Oh well...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

Phantom Thread

phantom_thread_teaser_instgrm.jpg

eU61LnS.png

OFqaPJc.png

Haven't seen it. So take it away @aabattery

Man, I love PTA. Dude knows how to make a movie. Everything about this, on a technical level, is flawless. It looks incredible, Greenwood's score is mesmerising, the costumes are impeccable, the acting is aces. Just phenomenal work from everyone involved. It's pretty much the definition of a slow burn but the sassy interactions between the characters make for a truly enjoyable time. It's straight up one of the funniest movies of the past year; seeing these high-strung characters snap at each other was an absolute delight, mainly thanks to the wittiness of PTA's screenplay. DDL is fantastic as the eccentric Reynolds Woodcock (which has a strong case for the best character name of the year) and does his usual chameleon act to bring a delectable performance to the table. If this is his last performance, he's going out on a high. His hair also looks great. Got some MrPink-ish hair envy from more than a few scenes in the movie. Vicky Krieps does a fantastic job in matching, if not exceeding him, in her role as Alma. I loved how her character saw through the bullshit and pageantry of Woodcock's flashy, high-class life. Their poisonous relationship, culminating in the quietly explosive finale, is a refreshing take on the old man/young muse trope. With this being said, all the characters are complete weirdos. Leaning towards being assholes a lot of the time. I personally relish in that, but it's not for everybody. Regardless of your thoughts on the characters, I think anyone can appreciate the level of craftsmanship and the power of the performances in this film. Good stuff.

User Reviews:

Phantom Thread continues writer-director (and cinematographer this time out) Paul Thomas Anderson’s run as one of the most singular voices in film today. It’s an oddity that admittedly loses just a little bit of steam after it surpasses the 90-minute mark, but Anderson’s direction is intoxicating as ever. Each frame is crafted meticulously, and Anderson hasn’t lost a step in his skill in clear, powerful visual storytelling that tells viewers more than just the dialogue can convey. I must also admit that I never expected the director of such wholly masculine fare as There Will Be Blood and The Master to make a film that places such visual and dramatic emphasis on an array of gorgeous dresses. Much attention has fallen upon Daniel Day-Lewis’s retirement announcement; if this performance does indeed mark his swan song (which I strongly doubt it will), it’s an admirable goodbye. As always, Day-Lewis disappears into the role so deeply that it’s hard to believe that he’s the same man who played the wildly different characters in the rest of his oeuvre. He’s subtly startling in other scenes, markedly eccentric in others, and perilously vulnerable in others yet. In the face of such a giant of the craft, it would be easy for other performances to suffer by comparison, but Vicky Krieps and Lesley Manville are also quite noteworthy. Krieps delivers a strong breakthrough performance that trades off audience expectations that she will be a deer in the headlights so well that her gradual shift into turning Woodcock’s psychological and emotional abuse back against him feels genuinely surprising. Manville also gets her share of deliciously venomous moments as Woodcock’s confidant and chief enabler. Like most of Anderson’s other work, Phantom Thread is a beautiful, complex film that demands its audience’s full attention and consideration, but rewards patient viewers with rich ideas and sumptuous imagery.

A-

- @Webslinger

"The tea is going out, the interruption is staying right here with me." HAHAHAHA

Krieps and the score are the MVP's. The way PTA nails the look of this thing. The lighting, the lenses, I wanna know how they did it.

@RichWS

Too low :( 

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

YESSSSSS (this was expected but it’s great so good inclusion)

6 hours ago, KJsooner said:

Split was very good. The only thing which took me out of the movie was when McAvoy started climbing up walls, and took a double shot-gun blast to the chest. Just got really silly.

That's why the last scene is so brilliant. Suddenly none of that is silly if Crumb is living in that universe. 

Don't care for It and Wind River, thrilled for The Florida Project (and thanks @aabattery for writing up an even longer paragraph on Phantom Thread than I did on Florida so that I don't look like a total dork), pretty sure Paddington 2 would place quite a bit higher if we made it eligible again next year, I expected John Wick in here but #23 is too low come on. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Don't care for It and Wind River, thrilled for The Florida Project (and thanks @aabattery for writing up an even longer paragraph on Phantom Thread than I did on Florida so that I don't look like a total dork), pretty sure Paddington 2 would place quite a bit higher if we made it eligible again next year, I expected John Wick in here but #23 is too low come on. 

Now I'm the one who looks like a total dork :whosad:

Hopefully someone else goes way overboard so my word vomit can look less excessive.

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

So...is it too late to hope for a Brawl in Cell Block 99 inclusion?

I didn't even put in on my final list (was right outside the top 15 and I thought eh fuck it) and besides us there's like three people here that saw it. 

Vaughn was snubbed at the boffys tho

• Like 1
  • Sad 1