139 The Lure
140 Transformers: The Last Knight
  • Like 4

Spoiler

The Big Sick

big_sick_ver3_xlg.jpg

eBMk2eX.png

dybnuOL.png

One of my favorite movies of 2017. The movie captured the immigrant family experience for South Asian immigrants really well. The love story was among the best seen on screen in 2017 and the supporting cast were all good in their roles. The 9/11 joke was the best of the year IMO

User Reviews:

Overlong like everything Judd Apatow touches but warm, funny and likable. Ray Romano and especially Holly Hunter steal the movie. 

A- @La Binoche

I saw this last month at a NYU hosted screening and I'm about to see it tonight with a Post Q&A with Kumail, Emily, and Zoe and I'm so excited because by far this is the best film I've seen this year.

Everybody loves a romance story but what if the romance was a true story written by the lovers that got together. The movie is the true love story of Kumail Nanjiani and Emily V. Gordan, written by Kumail and Emily, and starring Kumail and Zoe Kazan (who slightly looks like Emily) sooo…yeah! It is a love story nobody has ever heard before and honestly it may be one of best masterpieces this year has to offer.

Some people may joke, “Oh this is like Aziz Ansari’s Master of None but in feature-length form.” No, it is not it's something much more than that. We follow Kumail from beginning to end and because of this we learn this is a man who struggles to separate his family life by abiding by their Pakistani and his personal life because he knows if they ever collide, all hell will break loose. Aziz’s series shows his family approves of his life and the things that he does. Kumail’s family doesn’t. He spends the majority of the movie hiding his personal life from his family and his family life from his girlfriend. You know that both lives mean the world to him, because and doesn't want to lose anyone that he loves. Yes, this is somewhat a plot similar to The Namesake, but the due to its detailed writing and uncontrollably hysterical lines of dialogue is able to stand out as its own original story.

If you don’t know about Kumail Nanjiani or any of his works, this movie doesn’t only explain where he came from, but it also expresses who he is and how he lives his life. The way the movie plays out, not only do you get to know Nanjiani, but you get to relate to him. I know many people who went through the same struggle he went through and are still going through it to this day. There are elements of his life that so many people can see themselves in and you perfectly get the full dimensional version of Kumail, his family, Emily, and her family. You like every character introduced into this movie as we see where every person is coming from. You feel for everyone and the internal struggle they all go through. There’s a scene where the situation that Kumail goes through is so depressing, there are two sequences to where he breaks. The first time he breaks has you in tears, but the second time is played for laughs but surprisingly will also leave you in tears. It is a sequence that is heartbreaking and hysterical at the same time to which you will both laugh and cry. Not laugh until you cry, but have you simultaneously laugh and cry.

The Big Sick is a film that defines what screenwriting should be. Screenwriting should be about your voice and who you are as not just a writer but as also as a person. The film is directed by Michael Showalter and he does a great job transitioning this couple’s love story from page to screen as everyone gives nothing but great performances, but for all I know, this is Kumail’s movie and this is Emily’s movie. Movies like this are an inspiration for screenwriters to keep writing and expressing their story and expressing their voice.

The movie does fall into clichéd romantic tropes that you see from other films of this genre, but honestly this is the first time I saw where everyone’s action and decision is humanized, rationalized, and justified not for the sake of comedy or story but for character.

@rjones1325

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

Spoiler

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

ThreeBillboardsOutsideEbbingMissouriPost

gvLtUrN.png

Ik2GQCY.png

I could write about this movie which is turning out to be pretty controversial for the message, but Salma Hayek attempts to do the same at the Golden Globes, and I think people here would rather hear her

From @baumer

It goes without saying that dark comedy is very difficult to accomplish. I would almost say it's harder to pull off than regular comedy because you need to be able to keep people invested in the dramatic aspect of the film, while still keeping them laughing throughout the majority of the duration. Director Martin McDonagh has matured as a filmmaker over the years, starting off with In Bruges, which was pretty much a flat-out comedy, to Seven Psychopaths, which placed him a little further into the spotlight, but I must admit that Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is not only his best film to date, but it is also one of the best films of the year....from a certain point of view. 

After the tragic death of her daughter, Mildred Hayes calls out the local authorities on three billboards, publicly stating that they're not doing their jobs and not a single arrest has happened since the death of her daughter. While publicly displaying this is upsetting to some, she sees it as a point being made. Through some very cleverly written humor throughout the entire film, levity is brought to the table in times of sorrow, making this a very easy movie to watch. Although the story itself is quite depressing, this film is written in a way that will still find a way to make you smile.

From the very first few frames of this film, you can tell the tone will be handled well. Written and directed by Martin McDonagh, you can tell that he was very passionate when bringing this film to fruition. Every line of dialogue either progressed the story along, developed a character, made the audience laugh, or provided deep insight into the event of the murder itself. While not having the bearings of a conventional murder mystery, many viewers may not like the way this film concludes, but in the context of the movie as a whole and everything it's setting out to accomplish, it really does have a realistic and true finale.

It's arguable that some of the law enforcement officers play just as significant a role as Mildred does throughout the film, being pretty much present every time a revelation occurs, but I gravitated the most towards Officer Dixon. I've always been a huge fan of Sam Rockwell, and his character here is one of the most essential to this story, set on being there from beginning to end, trying his absolute best to be of any help. While Woody Harrelson's portrayal of Chief Willoughby is by far the most important to the story at hand, it's the characters around him that drive him to his actions throughout the course of the movie. The characters are truly what make this film as likable as it is, and they're all wonderfully drawn.

I had one huge gripe with the film and that was there seemed to be no consequences for some or all of the violence that takes place. Officer Dixon throws someone out of a second story window and all that happens to him is he loses his job.  And then others explained to me that this is pretty much the current situation in law enforcement.  Is it really any different than the officer who killed a kid in a hotel lobby after making him crawl on his belly while giving him complicated instructions, only to blow him away because he "thought" he was reaching for a gun?  Not only did the jury acquit him, the officer said he would do it again if in the same circumstance.  This is scary to me, scary that police have that much power and that much leniency that they can kill a young man without any kind of recourse.  Three Billboards must have cases like this in mind because the situations are eerily similar.  

Francis McDormand, will have you consistently laughing, while also being emotionally involved.  She is the odds on favourite to win best actress this year and although I think this honour should have gone to Jessica Chastain for her electric performance in Molly's Game, I can live with McDormand winning, she is really quite good. 

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri is a fantastic piece of modern cinema.

User Reviews:

I quite liked it but something about it didn't quite come together so I loved it, frankly. Fantastic performances all around - I would be happy with McDormand and Harrelson ,yep, Woody, not Rockwell, though he is fantastic too, winning Oscars. Terrific writing, and some of the most profound scenes of the year - the scene with Harrelson's letter to his wife broke me and my mom into tears, having just lost my dad. But it's just missing something to get it into my top three of the year. Not resolution, the ending was fine. I think that the escalating violence in the second half didn't jibe with the rest of the movie for me, you had a guy lit on fire, some brutal beatings, two firebombings, a mother beating up kids at the school, and someone thrown out the window in broad daylight. None of these things ever have any real consequences on the perpetrators, and they're treated like violence in a comedy that just gets shrugged off. It was like Tarantino/Coens level of caper cartoonish violence in a movie that was otherwise a realistic, heartbreaking movie about sexual assault and criminal justice. Just felt off. I'm also torn on Rockwell's redemption arc, frankly. It's well written and everything and Rockwell does great, but I don't know man. I know someone will be in here calling me a libtard SJW or something (hope it makes 100m so lordmandeep can do it!), but, like, this redemption arc isn't something rooted in fiction. People get tortured and beaten and thrown out windows by cops all the time with no reprocussion. Having them do a couple decent things and expect everyone to be like "you're cool," is the exact kind of excuse meant to keep asshole cops hurting people throughout the country. I'm all for redemption arcs of bad guys - Darth Vader blew up a billion people and I was fine with it, and Hannibal Lecter can be redeemed despite all the people he eats. But real life people in the community have had their real lives ruined by people just like Sam Rockwell's character. I'm not sure he deserved a redemption arc, or at least one that easy. But Rockwell handles it well. Anyway, there's my soapbox. Still doesn't excuse the main problem with the movie, which is how the cartoonish violence doesn't match everything else. But that problem doesn't negate what is otherwise a beautifully acted movie.

@Cmasterclay

I really liked this. Will say, though, that using classical/operatic music as a ironic motif is no longer original. 

@tribefan695

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Disbelief 2

Just now, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Too. Damn. Low.

• Like 1