Taylor

Weekend Thread: 50SF - 38.8m, PR - 25m, 15:17 - 12.6m

Goit to see Darkest Hour tonight.

Great movie, but weird thing....nobody got up at the end, I mean nobody.

Everybody sat through the end credits.

I did think about standing up and saying " look guys, there are no infinity stones in this movie ! go home!"

• Haha 4

Just now, AndyK said:

Goit to see Darkest Hour tonight.

Great movie, but weird thing....nobody got up at the end, I mean nobody.

Everybody sat through the end credits.

I did think about standing up and saying " look guys, there are no infinity stones in this movie ! go home!"

Buncha tele's in that audience

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Noctis said:

The consistency of the Twilight sequels was massively impressive. BD2's run of $830m WW in 2D was a huge accomplishment. It was the 34th biggest film of all time worldwide when BD2 finished its run.

The success of Twilight was very impressive, as were the Hunger Games films (which were all 2D only domestically). I'm still amazed that the first two Hunger Games films made as much as they did in North America. Catching Fire was the #10 highest-grossing film domestically until 2015 and still the 3rd biggest 2D-only opening weekend.

Edited by KP1025
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

The success of Twilight was very impressive, as were the Hunger Games films (which were all 2D only domestically). I'm still amazed that the first two Hunger Games films made as much as they did in North America. Catching Fire was the #10 highest-grossing film domestically until 2015 and still the 3rd biggest 2D-only opening weekend.

their multipliers are also very impressive. when catching fire's ow did not show a big bump from thg as sequels do 400 seemed very distant much worse legs were expected. the release period played a role but last year's nov tentpoles and fri openers like Thor3 and JL fell well below CF's multiplier.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, a2knet said:

their multipliers are also very impressive. when catching fire did not show a big bump from thg as sequels do 400 seemed very distant much worse legs were expected. the release period played a role but last year's nov tentpoles and fri openers like Thor3 and JL fell well below CF's multiplier.

I was actually very surprised that Catching Fire increased from The Hunger Games. Typically, sequels to a $400+ million grossing film decline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KP1025 said:

I was actually very surprised that Catching Fire increased from The Hunger Games. Typically, sequels to a $400+ million grossing film decline.

i think it's the only one to increase. no sequel has increased even from a 350+ predecessor. after CF i think it's, nemo=>dory, ttt=>rotk and gotg1=>gotg2.

wondr2, frozen2 will get a shot at beating their predecessors. but this year AIW should beat THG/CF's 'record' by increasing from a 459 predecessor.  sw9 will have a real shot at increasing from a 620+ movie.

edit:

1 hour ago, MovieMan89 said:

Dory increased from Nemo ($339m). Return of the King increased from The Two Towers ($342m). 

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, a2knet said:

i think it's the only one to increase. no sequel has increased even from a 350+ predecessor. after CF i think it's gotg1=>gotg2 (332=>390).

wondr2, frozen2 will get a shot at beating their predecessors. but this year AIW should beat THG/CF's 'record' by increasing from a 459 predecessor.  sw9 will have a real shot at increasing from a 620+ movie.

Dory increased from Nemo ($339m). Return of the King increased from The Two Towers ($342m). 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ddddeeee said:

Seems a bit odd to speak of perspective when a R-rated, erotic romance is going to make over $300M WW.

In France, 50 Shades has no restriction of age whatsoever, not even a warning.

Anybody can see it, kids and all.

Bottom line, 50 Shades is considered as offensive as a Disney movie in France.

I would say that the first two 50 Shades movies felt tame, but "clinical" would be a more accurate adjective. I suppose they're graphic enough to hit an R by the MPAA's metrics, but not a one of them ever feels all that hot; you can definitely tell that both actors are just going through the motions.

As all of us pretentious know-it-alls were saying when the first 50 Shades installment opened three years ago, the little-seen Secretary did it better: better character development, better depiction of BDSM, way better acting (Maggie Gyllenhaal should have landed an Oscar nomination, and James Spader was pretty good in it as well), better and more nuanced recognition of its characters' psychological scars and how kink acts as an outlet that opens the door for them to address said scars, and a way better ending that delivers earned catharsis for the titular protagonist.

• Like 3

I went to see Fifty Shades Freed last night after dinner and drinks and it was better than the last film. Still silly with unintentional laughs but the leads are likeable. 

I prefer the Fifty Shades films to the Twilight ones, easily. Even if Darker is a 4/10 and Freed is a 5/10. The Twilight sequels were all abominations, 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Futurist said:

In France, 50 Shades has no restriction of age whatsoever, not even a warning.

Anybody can see it, kids and all.

Bottom line, 50 Shades is considered as offensive as a Disney movie in France.

Oh my lol. How awkward with the butt plug, ice cream and vibrator scenes in Freed.

Different reactions in France though, they’re much more laid back. 

10 hours ago, KP1025 said:

MJ2 killed all momentum box-office wise. I still find it to be one of the most disappointing runs ever.