That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

5 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

I went to an IMAX screening yesterday and sadly couldn’t finish it cause there was a hella racist dude behind me making fun of the accents, doing monkey noises and just saying outright ignorant statements about Africa. I called him out in front of everybody as a piece of shit and walked out. I couldn’t stay there any longer cause I was a millisecond away from grabbing his fcking throat.

So sorry you had to go through that. Thanks for calling him out and hopefully you sent a message to other people who heard him but did nothing. He sounds very bold, how black was your audience, because I can't picture that dude surviving the entire screening around here. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sam said:

After Phase 1, I was skeptical when movies like GOTG and Ant-Man was what got made instead of BP and CM. 

But looking at it now, even though BP got introduced late due to internal problem within Marvel Studios (aka Ike), retrospectively, BP came at the absolutely right time, with MCU at its absolute height, reaping all the benefits. 

I hope and suspect Captain Marvel will be same.

I think Captain Marvel will be successful but coming after WW means it's not going to be the cultural phenomenon that film was or BP is at the moment. 

Even though WB and Marvel are rivals, they've kind of helped each other out. Coogler had a success with Creed which was a WB/MGM movie and that likely influenced Marvel to hire him for BP and Patty Jenkins was originally attached to Thor: The Dark World but ended up directing Wonder Woman. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

As impressive as Black Panther's Thursday is, HOLY MOTHERFUCKER OF GOD, Monster Hunt 2 scored a 97M OD :ohmygod:

Monstruous (no pun intended). Pretty sure that's just over Deathly Hallows Part 2 (DOM) as the 3rd biggest OD gross in BO history, only behind the DOM OD's of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Unbelievable. May be the 1st non-Hollywood billion dollar grosser WW.

Holy shit! When should we start measuring things in Yuan?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jandrew said:

So sorry you had to go through that. Thanks for calling him out and hopefully you sent a message to other people who heard him but did nothing. He sounds very bold, how black was your audience, because I can't picture that dude surviving the entire screening around here. 

Mostly white audience. I’m white someone near me clapped as I was walking out. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eXtacy said:

Interesting story. Back in 1998 Sony passed up on a deal to buy up all the properties of Marvel for a dirt cheap 25m USD. 

We'll call that a blessing because those movies would look and feel nothing like they do today. Werent people trying to give Spiderman 8 arms and sex scenes back in the 90s? Yeah can't imagine what a 1999 Iron Man or 2003 Thor would've blessed us with.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chad Stevens said:

Do we have to turn every thread into a The Last Jedi bashing thread? 

OK, we get it, the film sux..

The series is dead

There's no hope for the future of Star Wars

did I miss anything?

Yes you missed something.

13 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

As impressive as Black Panther's Thursday is, HOLY MOTHERFUCKER OF GOD, Monster Hunt 2 scored a 97M OD :ohmygod:

Monstruous (no pun intended). Pretty sure that's just over Deathly Hallows Part 2 (DOM) as the 3rd biggest OD gross in BO history, only behind the DOM OD's of The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi. Unbelievable. May be the 1st non-Hollywood billion dollar grosser WW.

Oh, absolutely not happening, might do half a billion though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jandrew said:

We'll call that a blessing because those movies would look and feel nothing like they do today. Werent people trying to give Spiderman 8 arms and sex scenes back in the 90s? Yeah can't imagine what a 1999 Iron Man or 2003 Thor would've blessed us with.

I think a little better than the 90's Captain America or tv movies like the Trial of the Incredible Hulk

1 minute ago, Jonwo said:

I think Captain Marvel will be successful but coming after WW means it's not going to be the cultural phenomenon that film was or BP is at the moment. 

Even though WB and Marvel are rivals, they've kind of helped each other out. Coogler had a success with Creed which was a WB/MGM movie and that likely influenced Marvel to hire him for BP and Patty Jenkins was originally attached to Thor: The Dark World but ended up directing Wonder Woman. 

It doesn’t have to be a cultural phenomenon. It’s still gonna be a monumental film for Marvel that will help open doors to their other female-led movies. Hopefully.

I’m excited because for all the comparisons about WW and CM, the only common thing between them is they’re both the go-to biggest female character of their respective franchises. Other than that, their characters/traits/attributes/beliefs/etc... are completely different. And that’s what true representation means. 

Hope Feige and Marvel Studios folks will put the utmost resources and care into Captain Marvel the same way they did Panther.

• Like 2