That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

3 minutes ago, RRA said:

That franchise is fine. But the “brand” power of the DCEU is non existent.

hell they officially don’t like being called DCEU! 

I wouldn't like being called DCEU either!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chad Stevens said:

of course a Star Wars fan (I took note of your Avatar) would want Black Panther under TLJ

Not necessarily, especially cause I didn't like Last Jedi.

I just don't want a movie that's as much of a runaway success as Black Panther to be called a disappointment by anyone, which tends to happen on this site when expectations run wild

25 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

WB isn't to blame, I think the VFX aspect and Andy Serkis' directorial debut (ironically he shot another movie in the interim which ended up being his directorial debut) was appealing but clearly it's taken a lot longer than they expected. I think WB will take it on the chin if Mowgli underperforms and allow Serkis to direct say Animal Farm.

I think January is safe as is March, I don't see Captain Marvel capturing the zeitgest but it'll a very healthy OW. 

I think either Frozen or Wonder Woman 2 will break the November record. Grinch should do well but I think it'll be more leggy compared to SLOP but with a lower ow

The problem with the Serkis movie is that WB at the time assumed Disney make their version like the cartoon movie so WB thought hey we got an opening to do it darker. Problem was, Favreau’s movie was actually darker than was expected and basically WB realized they’ve made a redundant version.

24 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Sorry meant MS not MI.  Mississippi.  

TX - 10, IL - 12, NY - 13, TN - 14, FL - 15, AR - 27

-SD, MA, MO (#51) round out the bottom 3 right now

Massachusetts?

Places like Nebraska and Utah beat Massachusetts?

Was there a Boston boycott or something? Wtf?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Massachusetts?

I think there was a snowstorm, right?

MA is also very white, even though it’s liberal.

Edited by The Mad Panda

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Massachusetts?

Boston Strong people took Wakanda forever too much to heart. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

1 minute ago, RRA said:

The problem with the Serkis movie is that WB at the time assumed Disney make their version like the cartoon movie so WB thought hey we got an opening to do it darker. Problem was, Favreau’s movie was actually darker than was expected and basically WB realized they’ve made a redundant version.

The score and musical numbers were also a very big draw to people nostalgic for the original animated film. I don't see many people wanting to check out WB's take even if the dark and gritty take had been more unique. Without seeing a trailer, I'm guessing this will do Legend of Tarzan numbers at best.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RRA said:

I still want to see it not just to compare to the Disney version but because of Serkis' work as Caesar and Gollum, I think it could be very interesting just from a visual POV and also tonally.

25 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Oh I know. They should have waited for Serkis to direct a few films before given handing him the keys to a big budgeted tentpole however. That and even if the film is good, it does feel like a case of coming out "too late". 

Warner Bros is known to be director friendly and Serkis had already done second unit on The Hobbit movies so they'd seen his potential. 

10 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

Maine is like 99.999% rural white, so that makes alot more sense, lol.

Maine is more coastal then rural but yes. I doubt you're gonna see as many people there going to see BP when compared to say California. It's a much smaller and whiter state of course. 

Edited by Fancyarcher

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Warner Bros is known to be director friendly and Serkis had already done second unit on The Hobbit movies so they'd seen his potential. 

Well if that's the case, I sure hope the film is good, because being director friendly has its ups and downs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

Well if that's the case, I sure hope the film is good, because being director friendly has its ups and downs. 

Of Course, but I think for Warner Bros, it does bear fruit as we've seen with Clint Eastwood and Nolan for example 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Of Course, but I think for Warner Bros, it does bear fruit as we've seen with Clint Eastwood and Nolan for example 

And Eastwood's work with WB is one of the more impressive studio / actor / director relationships. I think they own 70% of his filmography or something. That's consistency. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 2