That One Girl

BLACK PANTHER WEEKEND THREAD | Current Estimates - 202.4M 3-day / 242.6M 4-day | Record 40.167 Monday; more than TFA!

I actually thought the hype was just an American phenomenon but the worldwide numbers show this thing is a real phenomenon.

Funny enough, I haven’t seen the movie yet, all the Friday shows here were sold out and the lines for the late shows were just damn too long.

Just now, Deathlife said:

I actually thought the hype was just an American phenomenon but the worldwide numbers show this thing is a real phenomenon.

Funny enough, I haven’t seen the movie yet, all the Friday shows here were sold out and the lines for the late shows were just damn too long.

The African theme of the film makes it relevant beyond the cultural issues in the US.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

40% of BP audience is African American

Black audience is really showing up BIG time for BP!

http://deadline.com/2018/02/black-panther-thursday-night-preview-box-office-1202291093/

Amazing.  This is why I expect a solid weekend multiplier and second weekend.  Marvel fans like myself who have been watching the last few Marvel blockbusters opening Thursday or Friday couldn't get our preferred  tickets.  My usual moviegoing group aimed for today, but had to change our outing to next Friday as imax/Dolby are all full.  These seats are taken in part by people who normally wouldn't watch a Marvel movie opening day/weekend so those of us who do will watch a little later hence good holds.  

Just now, Deathlife said:

lol @ everyone predicting it would underperform solely b/c black cast while ignoring that it was Marvel

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

I wonder what the more typical African American breakdown is for MCU films. Maybe 10-15%? 

Supposing normally it's the same as the percent in US-Canada altogether, 12%, that means that if this movie had normal MCU demographics it would be an opening of about 133m

5 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Yeah looks like its a pretty good shot of doing 500m+ overseas. Comparable to Thor 3 numbers from a lot of places.

Edited by eXtacy
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, Chewy said:

lol @ everyone predicting it would underperform solely b/c black cast while ignoring that it was Marvel

I’m partly guilty of this. Skeptical about how it’ll perform with all black cast but I did count on Marvel established brand name and good will to overcome things. 

Man, never been happier about getting proven wrong. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Storm, Vixen, and umm...

17 minutes ago, Sam said:

Monica Rambeau, who was Captain Marvel for a while, is also a prominent strong black female character from Marvel. Aside from the X-women. 

17 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

Most iconic one is probably Storm.

15 minutes ago, Deathlife said:

Yes.

Storm is one and she’s African and she was married to Black Panther. Something I would love to see in the movies.

DC has Vixen too.

12 minutes ago, Chewy said:

tumblr_p1ucznUefc1vi6lxio2_1280.gif

Is anyone of these worthy enough to have her own stand-alone movie like BP? I mean, after the mega success of WW and BP, it's logical to assume that a black female superhero movie could be a massive boxoffice hit right?

Edited by vc2002

7 minutes ago, Rumpot said:

Amazing.  This is why I expect a solid weekend multiplier and second weekend.  Marvel fans like myself who have been watching the last few Marvel blockbusters opening Thursday or Friday couldn't get our preferred  tickets.  My usual moviegoing group aimed for today, but had to change our outing to next Friday as imax/Dolby are all full.  These seats are taken in part by people who normally wouldn't watch a Marvel movie opening day/weekend so those of us who do will watch a little later hence good holds.  

My parents who don't know Marvel from DC are going to see Black Panther. Their church group has already formed parties to go see it together. I don't know any other comic book movie that could have done this lol.

• Like 4

There was talk that they were gonna have a different Marvel "guest star" in each of the Homecoming movies, right?

I think we know who is going to show up in the second one...

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Ayy just when I start feeling all cynical about these movies something like this happens and I geek the hell out with no apologies

NO APOLOGIES

I wanna drag Ike again in the morning, let's all agree to drag Ike in the morning. @kowhite can join us

I'm IN.

• Thanks 1

I thought about BP over the past 24 hours, and while I still sand by my earlier statement that the movie had some major issues with its writing/dialogue/character moments, I think the stuff that it did right it did REALLY well. 

Make all the money you can get Disney. I may not like you sometimes, working at a movie theatre and all, but this time you guys really deserve it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chewy said:

There was talk that they were gonna have a different Marvel "guest star" in each of the Homecoming movies, right?

I think we know who is going to show up in the second one...

I would not be so sure Marvel would want to over expose huge new property on a Sony film. Give Ant-man and Wasp some more exposure.

Maybe the third Homecoming after Black Panther had a big role in Marvel property. (A3 and A4 doesnt count he sharing screen time with a bazillion characters)

Edited by eXtacy