grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

51 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The quicker that Universal and the producers figure out that what makes Jurassic movies a mega hit is the functioning park and not the dinosaurs is going to re-ignite the franchise again in a few years.  CGI dinosaurs running around outside the park is boring and nobody really cares.  

yep. It’s like taking the zombies out of a confined remote area in a Resident Evil game. Who wants to play that? It’s all about being trapped somewhere with the characters, with nothing coming to save them. 

40 minutes ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

Lost World had the biggest opening ever despite not having the original park. The only reason it made less than the first movie was because it was crap and was a follow-up to a mega breakout hit. Fallen Kingdom also did really well even though the park was destroyed, and only made less because it was crap and a follow-up to a mega breakout hit. And from what I can gather, Dominion doesn't even use the "dinosaurs messing up the real world" to its potential at all. I think there's more underlying factors than just "theme park".

And besides, what else is there to do with the "dinosaur theme park" idea? The best I can think of is maybe show the construction of the theme park, but that still doesn't scream "must-see" and would probably do better as a streaming show.

Right, exactly my point.  The first one with the park led to the massive opening for The Lost World, but people quickly said "man, this fucking sucks".  

4 minutes ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

Mannnnnn I could write a book about how awful Love Simon was in the first Jurassic World. Such a detestable and obnoxious douchebag, even for a dumb stupid teenager. The other kid was kinda cool though. He was the only character in the first movie with any personality.

I completely forgot that was him! I liked him in Love, Simon too, just goes to show that a decent actor can’t save a badly scripted character.

2 minutes ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

Mannnnnn I could write a book about how awful Love Simon was in the first Jurassic World. Such a detestable and obnoxious douchebag, even for a dumb stupid teenager. The other kid was kinda cool though. He was the only character in the first movie with any personality.

I completely disagree with this except for Gray beeing cool because he is.

The older brother (Zach) was a douchebag for the first half of the movie because he has a character arc, albeit thinnly written: He goes from not caring about pretty much anything besides girls and beeing that douchebag to a caring and protective older brother who looks out for Gray. I agree its not written good, but theres more to Zach than just beeing a douchebag because he isnt one for the latter half of the film.

Also, Owen, Claire, Henry Wu, Masrani, Hoskins and Omar Sys' character do have distinct personalitys. Owen and Claire especially, not to mention the dinosaurs. Blue and the Indominus certainly have personalitys as well.

42 minutes ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

Lost World had the biggest opening ever despite not having the original park. The only reason it made less than the first movie was because it was crap and was a follow-up to a mega breakout hit. Fallen Kingdom also did really well even though the park was destroyed, and only made less because it was crap and a follow-up to a mega breakout hit. And from what I can gather, Dominion doesn't even use the "dinosaurs messing up the real world" to its potential at all. I think there's more underlying factors than just "theme park".

And besides, what else is there to do with the "dinosaur theme park" idea? The best I can think of is maybe show the construction of the theme park, but that still doesn't scream "must-see" and would probably do better as a streaming show.

Lost World was twice as good as any Jurassic we’ve had since, although not a patch on the original of course. What is?

but LW has some incredible stuff in it. Even middling Spielberg takes everybody to school when it comes to how to do a movie like this. 

• Like 2

Just now, wildphantom said:

Lost World was twice as good as any Jurassic we’ve had since, although not a patch on the original of course. What is?

but LW has some incredible stuff in it. Even middling Spielberg takes everybody to school when it comes to how to do a movie like this. 

The trailer scene in Lost World is Top 5 Spielberg suspense scenes material.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I completely disagree with this except for Gray beeing cool because he is.

The older brother (Zach) was a douchebag for the first half of the movie because he has a character arc, albeit thinnly written: He goes from not caring about pretty much anything besides girls and beeing that douchebag to a caring and protective older brother who looks out for Gray. I agree its not written good, but theres more to Zach than just beeing a douchebag because he isnt one for the latter half of the film.

Also, Owen, Claire, Henry Wu, Masrani, Hoskins and Omar Sys' character do have distinct personalitys. Owen and Claire especially, not to mention the dinosaurs. Blue and the Indominus certainly have personalitys as well.

liked all the characters in JW. It was a good summer movie for sure. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildphantom said:

I loved LW when I was a kid, the bit with the trailers getting bashed around by the two T-Rex’s looking for their baby is great. 

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

The trailer scene in Lost World is Top 5 Spielberg suspense scenes material.

amazing. The ‘glass’ moment - phenomenal. 

Raptors in the grass with THAT shot of them coming in from all sides in silence. 

Peter Stormare getting attacked by the compy dinos with that low angle shot, then over the branch, before the blood in the water. The blocking is a joke. So good. 

• Like 3

I absolutely agree. As inferior as it is to the original Jurassic Park, the Lost World is still miles ahead any of the subsequent Jurassic Park movies. Not to mention the scores. Nothing in the franchise can touch John Williams's scores for the two first movies

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Right, exactly my point.  The first one with the park led to the massive opening for The Lost World, but people quickly said "man, this fucking sucks".  

And would having a park magically make Lost World better and scrub away all its problems? I think the bigger issue is how dull the characters are and the uninteresting plot, not a missing theme park. If the movie was good, I feel very confident people would be more receptive and enjoy the film more, therefore leading to stronger box office.

• Like 1

This could get a score in the 30’s and it wouldn’t lessen my excitement for Friday one iota. I really don’t care. 
Overall I didn’t think much of Fallen Kingdom, but I still took lots from it. It was still worth the ticket. 

Not everything has to be black or white. We can have grey. We can have movies that aren’t great which we can enjoy pieces of. Modern culture can’t seem to digest that. Or at least social media can’t. It’s either good or it’s bad. That’s it. 

…and that is the RT culture we live in. A score, rather then actually reading a review. Someone can give a rotten and still say there’s good stuff in the movie, but people just don’t want to hear it. It’s gotten like sport. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

This could get a score in the 30’s and it wouldn’t lessen my excitement for Friday one iota. I really don’t care. 
Overall I didn’t think much of Fallen Kingdom, but I still took lots from it. It was still worth the ticket. 

Not everything has to be black or white. We can have grey. We can have movies that aren’t great which we can enjoy pieces of. Modern culture can’t seem to digest that. Or at least social media can’t. It’s either good or it’s bad. That’s it. 

…and that is the RT culture we live in. A score, rather then actually reading a review. Someone can give a rotten and still say there’s good stuff in the movie, but people just don’t want to hear it. It’s gotten like sport. 

I totally agree. Nowadays every movie is either "amazing, great" or "crap, shit" and the nuance and grey zones are completely ignored. Its really sad in my opinion. So many discussions about films and other media especially ofc on the Internet have gotten so toxic because of it. Its almost as if people cant fathom the idea of other people for example liking a "bad movie" or disliking a "good movie".

5 minutes ago, Eric the Last Dinosaur said:

And would having a park magically make Lost World better and scrub away all its problems? I think the bigger issue is how dull the characters are and the uninteresting plot, not a missing theme park. If the movie was good, I feel very confident people would be more receptive and enjoy the film more, therefore leading to stronger box office.

yes, I dare say that a park would have solved a number of the issues with lost world and it would have made the audience a lot more receptive to it.

Lost World’s audience reception I thought was more due to the darker and almost mean spirited tone. Similar to Temple of Doom. Seems to have gained more appreciation over time. Also , back then, sequels were never expected to match the original especially when the first one was gigantic 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

Lost World’s audience reception I thought was more due to the darker and almost mean spirited tone. Similar to Temple of Doom. Seems to have gained more appreciation over time. Also , back then, sequels were never expected to match the original especially when the first one was gigantic 

I mean that's another big thing yeah. Which again shows that Lost World's problems weren't because there was no park. I'm still confused why this is the lynchpin for success all of a sudden, especially when almost all the other Jurassic movies still made gangbusters.

1 minute ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

Speaking of “The Lost World: Jurassic Park”, where’s Ian Malcolm’s daughter Kelly after the events of that film? Since we never get to know what happened to her afterwards during the entire franchise. 🤷🏻‍♀️

She was too good at gymnastics to make it to any other movie.