grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

2 minutes ago, Macleod said:

That's called the movie experience.  You should have an "open mind" every time you see something.  Your first reaction was the best, that means you actually realized the movie's faults, you should be honest with yourself.  😉

Some of Those faults will still remain faults, I'm just hoping if i could enjoy the movie overall on second watch.

Saw it for a third time. Gets better with every viewing. At this point I'm not even sure if I was too harsh after my first viewing, or it's just the obsessive JP fanboy in me convincing me to like it more. Regardless, it's very enjoyable movie - better than FK in every metric aside from the score. Go watch it!!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I dont know why it is so difficult for some to accept that JW was just a really well-liked movie.

Jurassic World didn't just break the opening record out of nowhere, it has tremendous legs to boot. That film was beyond beloved.

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Claudio said:

Hopefully the next Jurassic trilogy will go all out and give us a massive, epic global world war between Dino and Humans with the ending being the world in destruction, extinction of humans (cause they lost) and the return of the earth to Jurassic era.

What a story that will be!!! It will put every butt on the seat and like... Who says NO??!! Universal better realizes this and start developing that storyline.

I'm so done with Dino in the park, or being controlled and make the Dino weak and outsmarted compared to humans shenanigans. Need new fresh storylines.

No way in hell any studio would touch that storyline.

31 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Jurassic World didn't just break the opening record out of nowhere, it has tremendous legs to boot. That film was beyond beloved.

You were pretty much spot on with your prediction for JW - what's your prediction for JWD?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

You were pretty much spot on with your prediction for JW - what's your prediction for JWD?

A lot less. 😔

JW felt really fresh at the time. The iconic brand was returning after 15 years. Tons of child fans of the original were in the core young adult demo that still frequented theaters, or had children of their own - the nostalgia was a big pull. Dinosaurs had not been prominently featured in a major film in some time, the premise of the theme park being open was awesome, we had not major jungle escape blockbuster in a while.. The entire thing felt really, really fresh. Plus, the entire year of 2014 was lame, and summer 2015 had been pretty lackluster thus far - Ultron was huge, but also disappointing overall, Tomorrowland was an epic flop. As soon it came in that review generally said it was a good movie, I thought it was going to maximize its potential, which I thought was $150m+. I didn't think it would go as high as it did until I actually saw it and knew WOM would be off the hook.

I think the creative team made a MASSIVE, unforgivable mistake with destroying the original island. Dino's on the mainland was always a big premise (which they have wasted), but it is shocking how poorly planned the move off the original island was.  I think they are most paying for it. 

I am too removed from every day predicting to make a serious guess as to how the new one will do, but I would be surprised at anything over FK despite inflation. 

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, excel1 said:

A lot less. 😔

JW felt really fresh at the time. The iconic brand was returning after 15 years. Tons of child fans of the original were in the core young adult demo that still frequented theaters, or had children of their own - the nostalgia was a big pull. Dinosaurs had not been prominently featured in a major film in some time, the premise of the theme park being open was awesome, we had not major jungle escape blockbuster in a while.. The entire thing felt really, really fresh. Plus, the entire year of 2014 was lame, and summer 2015 had been pretty lackluster thus far - Ultron was huge, but also disappointing overall, Tomorrowland was an epic flop. As soon it came in that review generally said it was a good movie, I thought it was going to maximize its potential, which I thought was $150m+. I didn't think it would go as high as it did until I actually saw it and knew WOM would be off the hook.

I think the creative team made a MASSIVE, unforgivable mistake with destroying the original island. Dino's on the mainland was always a big premise (which they have wasted), but it is shocking how poorly planned the move off the original island was.  I think they are most paying for it. 

I am too removed from every day predicting to make a serious guess as to how the new one will do, but I would be surprised at anything over FK despite inflation. 

Thank you for your insights. Much appreciated! 

1 hour ago, JustLurking said:

JW wasn't the most clever  filmout there or anything but it was pretty fun imho. Seeing the park realised was cool and it had nice dino sequences.

Seeing Jurassic Park in full operation was what made the film such a huge hit.

Just now, Oopsie said:

For those who have seen it, how scary is it. Do they go all out with it being the "finale" and all.

Its not scary. Theres like 1 sequence i think that could scare kids.

And going all aout ... yes and no. Beeing the finale ... no, not really. I like to call it a chapter-closer for the current trilogy and it has a finale feeling to it when it comes to the human characters from the Park and World movies. But its not a franchise "finale", its more like just a sequel to Fallen Kingdom.

• Like 2

In a truly incredible creative decision, Jurassic World Dominion appears to be going for Every Movie Ever except for Jurassic Park. With the slam dunk premise the previous film teased, not even a hundred attempts to predict what they were going to do with it would've been able to get it right. Fascinating result that reads like a challenge courtesy of its director to make a movie-jail worthy film because he knows there’s no risk of him ending up there. So like the film itself it's just a ludicrously ill-advised challenge devoid of consequences.

Glad I saw it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucas said:

In a truly incredible creative decision, Jurassic World Dominion appears to be going for Every Movie Ever except for Jurassic Park. With the slam dunk premise the previous film teased, not even a hundred attempts to predict what they were going to do with it would've been able to get it right. Fascinating result that reads like a challenge courtesy of its director to make a movie-jail worthy film because he knows there’s no risk of him ending up there. So like the film itself it's just a ludicrously ill-advised challenge devoid of consequences.

Glad I saw it.

So ... you did get some enjoyment out of it :ph34r:

6 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

if you dont try to nitpick everything.

Notice. Not nitpick. Notice. The silliness of everything involving the I-Rex in JW was not something one actively had to nitpick for, it was flagrantly noticeable and only maskable if you really wanted to work hard to suspend disbelief. As was the fact that we were meant to ignore that Clare was functionally evil, and just accept that she was 'a bit misguided'.

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I dont know why it is so difficult for some to accept that JW was just a really well-liked movie.

Of course it was a well-liked movie that was gargantually successful.

Minions, Despicable Me 3, the Lion King Remake, the Burton Alice in Wonderland, the Force Awakens, Pirates 4 and the Sing films are also all gargantually successful movies that are well-liked. That doesn't mean they aren't all bad films by many, if not most, measures. 

A franchise that started with one of the greatest blockbuster entertainment movies ever has been reduced to being the spiritual successor to the Transformers franchise. They were well-liked and successful too.

----

BUT

In all that discussion about whether things have been good or not I do want to make it clear that I value your (and others') enjoyment of fun dinosaur adventure films. I think the franchise has lots of potential which is why I think it's interesting that it's really struggled to live up to that potential creatively for so much of the last four and a half films.

And to reiterate and really add to the opinion of the last few pages: I concur that the BIGGEST reasons for the love-where-it-existed and success of JW was that genuinely well done realisation of the park in full operation. And that was a one-time cash in.

---

I think that these films always were going to struggle outside of closed and isolated environments due to the problem I laid out earlier - as cool as dinos are and as scary in a limited capacity, once the actual contemporary human world with weaponry and logistics are involved, the answer of "how can humans and dinos coexist?" while it sounds cool is just....."because modern humans have the capacity to control them and as a last resort, blow them up".

If you have to level-up the dinos to the point they are credibly challenging a lot of weaponry, then they aren't dinos anymore - and especially when put into an urban setting it just becomes barely distinguishable from a kaiju or alien invasion or zombie movie.

Which is why I think the ideas mooted around post-apocalyptic, third-world environments, island environments, seafaring environments - anything that gives credible reasons why the army doesn't turn up and blow everything up or why people can't just shot them and pretending that reptiles are bulletproof - are the best ways to go with future instalments.

Or why there just shouldn't be a different franchise that comes up with ways of putting dinosaurs into older historical environments so that there is a more reasonable even match. That could be fun.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

So ... you did get some enjoyment out of it :ph34r:

I definitely did, it never bored me. I'm fascinated (and flabbergasted) by the creative decisions, a dinosaur movie with comically little interest in dinosaurs. But Dern, Neill and Goldblum are always lovely and pretty funny to pair with the extremely dull World characters.

Spoiler

And Goldblum saying he's not a fan of Jurassic World will probably be the first gif generated after the movie hits VOD.

Also lovely to see 35mm in a theater these days ofc. But I agree with the editing and Trevorrow's directing was extremely pedestrian until once every once in a while where some creative touches would suddenly slip in that feel like they came from someone else.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scoobysaurus said:

Saw it for a third time. Gets better with every viewing. At this point I'm not even sure if I was too harsh after my first viewing, or it's just the obsessive JP fanboy in me convincing me to like it more. Regardless, it's very enjoyable movie - better than FK in every metric aside from the score. Go watch it!!!

I would call that "self-brainwashing."  And/or "getting used to it."  Don't lie to yourself.  😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Man, I don’t care what anybody says, 2015’s Jurassic World was pretty damn great. 

I’m seeing a few people on here ragging on it now, and that’s fine and all. I would think that the vast majority on these boards are fans of that movie though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I definitely did, it never bored me. I'm fascinated (and flabbergasted) by the creative decisions, a dinosaur movie with comically little interest in dinosaurs. But Dern, Neill and Goldblum are always lovely and pretty funny to pair with the extremely dull World characters.

Reveal hidden contents

Also lovely to see 35mm in a theater these days ofc. But I agree with the editing and Trevorrow's directing was extremely pedestrian until once every once in a while where some creative touches would suddenly slip in that feel like they came from someone else.

What is pretty remarkable about it is that it is the movie with the most dinosaur species and im pretty sure it also has the most scenes with dinosaurs in the series, but the dinosaurs dont drive the plot at all, only the characters do, which is unlike every other JP/JW movie.

Im pretty excited for my 2nd (and 3rd lol) viewing tomorrow, because now i know what this movie is and im curious if i like it more the 2nd/3rd time around.