grim22

Jurassic World: Dominion | June 10 2022 | 6th Most Profitable Movie of 2023

SAW IT. 

It’s… something boy. It’s a perfectly fine summer movie. It hops along from set piece to set piece. It never took long boring stretches. Characters were charming enough, without being nuisances. It’s fine. I don’t think people are going to come out hating it. Many will have a good or even great time with this film. As a one time experience at the IMAX this film is passable. As a film, as a piece of art, as something that most people on earth for years to come will only ever see on TV, it is mind numbing. Bewildering. Nonsense.

Every character in this movie is an IP franchise character, right down to the dinosaurs. They’re Universal’s babies and nobody wants to hurt their babies. There’s no element of fear here. It’s not scary. It’s not suspenseful. Nowadays that’s ok. That’s the case with many movies, but those films at least have the decency to be inventive with their action. The action in this film mostly boils down to loud noises and CG dinos barking whist they cram their heads through small spaces. Sometimes they might nip at someone’s heels. Sometimes they might nearly catch someone in a chase but that’s about it.

The layers of blatant and outright stupidity of the villains and their plan in this movie commits the worse crime it can - it’s distracting. The opening of the movie serves up the foolishness back to back. For reasons unknown the US and the $800bn Military have outsourced the capture of dinos, seen nesting on the freedom tower, to a private company. That private company has then come up with an evil world ending plan that even a child could piece together. The evidence is in your face. No one on would need to investigate it. It’s clearly EvilCorp that’s the cause of this. How would the US government allow this to happen without intervention ? How would any global government allow this to happen? What kind of plan is “we’re gonna blatantly commit a heinous crime that will impact EVERYONE ON EARTH and maybe get away with it”?

The old people are back… shrugs. Sam Neil could be written out of this movie and nothing would change. Truthfully they could all be renamed and recast and you’d have the same movie. I don’t understand what more they’re meant to bring besides “here’s some people you recognise”.

LOW MATINEE. It’s the pacing that saved this thing from a RENTAL, and frankly anyone that sees this at home will call it garbage - it’s large scale Netflix Original film. Stop making these movies.

Edited by AJG
  • Like 1

This movie doubles down on the stupid of the previous entry and none of it feels knowing. Sometimes that’s a good thing, sometimes it’s bad. 

Exposition is really lazy and dull, and there’s a lot of it. The character moments that do manage to squeeze their way in follow suit. There’s contrivances and coincidences left and right. I know that’s not why we come to Jurassic World by it spends way too much time on this stuff. 

I was surprisingly okay with the main driving force of both narratives, they were suitably ridiculous. Chemistry between some of the cast was quite stilted and there’s a strange focus on random side characters who we barely know.

That being said I got to watch Raptors in a chase through the streets of Malta like they’re Jason Bourne which is just as fun as it sounds. It’s the kind of ridiculous Fast & Furious style action that these movies have fun with. Bryce Dallas Howard continues to be unbelievably attractive in this entire series and has the best Dinosaur related scenes in the latter half of the film. One of which is actually pretty tense which is a rarity for the 'World' films. 

There's a lot of computer related stuff towards the end where the film was just losing me, it was all the usual perfunctory blockbuster stuff. 

I was unfortunately let down by the final battle which isn’t even as good as the one in the first Jurassic World. Awful coverage, lack of buildup and ultimately meaningless to the entire narrative.

4 times done, 2 of them today back to back shows.

I still think it's bit disappointing, but watching with crowd full Theater eased my reaction with people laughing at points and enjoying some things.

Although some people reaction i got in theater was the usual - They were pissed that movie was about Locusts than Dinosaurs.

• Like 1

We need a legit make up for film following this 2 horrendously bad sequels. 

I want the prequel following the islands secret activity while the park is under construction. 

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 6:49 AM, THUNDER BIRD said:

Imagine having the best Jurassic Park franchise Opening ever and not using it.

The armchair palaeontologists on twitter would throw a collective hissy fit strong enough to cause a global extinction level earthquake if the prologue was part of the final cut. Would've been really cool though and it helps 'complete' the movie imho.

Edited by scoobysaurus

1 minute ago, Alex SciChannel said:

The cretaceous segment is cool tho. Very serene imo

I think it's ruined by Trevorrow not keeping it to what'd be around with the Rex in actuality. It cheapens JP in a way that's infuriating.

48 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think it's ruined by Trevorrow not keeping it to what'd be around with the Rex in actuality. It cheapens JP in a way that's infuriating.

That annoyed me also about the scene. Giganotosaurus and T-Rex alone were a good old 30 Million years apart.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

That annoyed me also about the scene. Giganotosaurus and T-Rex alone were a good old 30 Million years apart.

Yeah exactly and on entirely separate unconnected continents, and its not the only example of this. Nasutoceratops while from North America lived 10-9 million years before T.rex and could've just been Triceratops, Pteranodon was from NA as well but also lived about 15-20 million years before T.rex, Oviraptor was from Mongolia 6-10 million years before T.rex, Iguanodon I can get the confusion in terms of location but it lived 60 million years before T.rex, Dreadnoughtus lived in South America (Though was around when T.rex was alive), and maybe the most baffling to me is putting Moros at the same time as T.rex....when it was an ancestor of T.rex. That's like having Australopithecus interacting with modern day humans. Like is it nerdy? Yeah. Is it something only Dinosaur fans care about? Yeah. Does that make it baffling why they'd do it like this and not just use the plenty of cool animals that directly lived with T.rex while throwing out the scientific accuracy the original tried to have in a lot of places? Yes.

• Like 1