Alli

Weekend Thread: Weekend estimates pg 38...BP 41.14....WIT 33.31

12 minutes ago, cookie said:

Wait, what? Do you think Disney knows how a movie is going to turn out when they greenlight it?

Given their track record with non star wars, live action animated remakes, or mcu they probably should by this point ;p

Edited by Orestes
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, cookie said:

Wait, what? Do you think Disney knows how a movie is going to turn out when they greenlight it?

No but unfortunately all of the original projects they've made have flopped.

Here's a complete list of their 'original' live-action movies (i.e. not franchise and not fairytale remake) that cost over $50M from the past 5 years:

2018: Wrinkle in Time 

2017: none

2016: The BFG, The Finest Hours, Pete's Dragon

2015: Tomorrowland

2014: Into the Woods, Need for Speed

2013: The Lone Ranger

Every single one of them underperformed. The cheaper ones - Pete's Dragon 65M, Into the Woods 50M, and Need for Speed 66M - they didn't lose much or maybe turned a profit, because of their lower budgets. But all the expensive stuff, it has all flopped.

Edited by Treetanic

Should we be celebrating more mediocre "believe in yourself" kids movies? Disney are lousy at the live action game with the exception of their fairytales and Pirates. Why are people always shocked by this? I'm sorry I do want to see more non Star Wars and MCU from Disney but that shit has to be good.

Edited by Zakiyyah6

Just now, Treetanic said:

No but unfortunately all of the original projects they've made have flopped.

Here's a complete list of their 'original' live-action movies that cost over $50M from the past 5 years:

2018: Wrinkle in Time 

2017: none

2016: The BFG, The Finest Hours, Pete's Dragon

2015: Tomorrowland

2014: Into the Woods, Need for Speed

2013: The Lone Ranger

Every single one of them underperformed. The cheaper ones - Pete's Dragon 65M, Into the Woods 50M, and Need for Speed 66M - they didn't lose much or maybe turned a profit, because of their lower budgets. But all the expensive stuff, it has all flopped.

Into The Woods was a hit.

Need For Speed made it’s cash overseas, but not anything to screech about.

but the rest have all tanked.

1 minute ago, Maxmoser3 said:

Into The Woods was a hit.

Need For Speed made it’s cash overseas, but not anything to screech about.

but the rest have all tanked.

Only a success because of its low budget. That was what I meant by the cheaper ones did okay. you get what i mean.

Edited by Treetanic

21 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

Wrinkle not doing so great probably means :

2 Star Wars a year

and/or

4 MCUs a year

Yay ?

Maybe in their mind the fairy tale / fantasy classic remake and/or an animated version of Wrinkle of Time was more the other project they could have done instead of that one in term of direct competition in opportunity cost than those movies (they will still release a certain amount of family movie, there is a market to fill there).

I feel like Star Wars would have a lot more content than just a movie a year, but on TV at least at first.

Edited by Barnack

57 minutes ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

I honestly don’t understand this mindset. Given the people involved in this movie, do you think they were trying to get by with a subpar movie? 

I don't doubt it at all, everyone goes in trying to make a good movie. And making a movie, let alone a good one, has got to be one of the hardest things there is.

Im just not a fan of how Disney handles their properties with movie theatres. They kinda treat it like they're invincible, and while movies like BP or TFA (imo) show that sometimes they deserve all the money they get, I'm fine with seeing sometimes their vulnerability. 

10 minutes ago, cookie said:

No no of course not! It's just a shame when the final product comes out as way less than the sum of its parts

TFA's 4th weekend seems just a tad out of reach

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Weeknd
Gross*
% of Total Theaters / Avg. Total Gross^ Date**
1 Avatar Fox $50,306,217 6.7% 3,422 $14,701 $749,766,139 12/18/09
2 Star Wars: The Force Awakens BV $42,353,785 4.5% 4,134 $10,245 $936,662,225 12/18/15
3 Marvel's The Avengers BV $36,686,871 5.9% 3,918 $9,364 $623,357,910 5/4/12
4 Jurassic World Uni. $29,242,025 4.5% 3,737 $7,825 $652,270,625 6/12/15
5 Titanic Par. $28,716,310 4.8% 2,746 $10,458 $600,788,188 12/19/97
Edited by a2knet

Yikes, that WiT number sure turned out to be quite the drop off from the initial $12-14m range. Certainly very unusual for a family film to trend down that much from midday reports. I guess the reception must be affecting it. 

Amazing hold again for BP though, TFA's 4th weekend may be within reach. 

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

That Fri est is... not great.  Not great, Bob, at all.

Well, there's still a chance for it to cross 100m but it's gonna have to have legs like a Children's Lit adaptation and not a Sci-Fi/Fantasy film to do it.

Not gonna bury it quite yet, but as I said in the Disney 100m club thread this ain't a good omen.  Like, at all.

Welp, so much from my paragraph testimony yesterday. AWIT not looking so hot. Ay ay ay. And Red Sparrow dropping more in the lines of what I thought....

Tbh I still would give it a smaaaaaaall 100M chance, but I doubt it at this point, unless it has monster holds from here on out. No family competition, sure, but I think that the not too great wom will counter that. Tomorrowland V2, here we go.

Great for BP, though.