CaptainJackSparrow

Godzilla: King of the Monsters OS thread

At least we can stop saying its doing badly only in 6 markets. Almost entire 51 markets released have meh numbers.

https://deadline.com/2019/05/godzilla-king-of-the-monsters-opening-weekend-china-global-international-box-office-1202624942/

One market where Godzilla is perhaps more irate than usual has to be Korea in which he’s being pummeled by Cannes Palme d’Or winner Parasite. The running cume for the monsters is $752K through the first two days (Wednesday and Thursday) there. Per Kobiz today, the movie was No. 4 on Friday with an estimated cume of about $1M. Parasite is at $8.7M through Friday and is still topping the local box office by a mile (also over Aladdin at No. 2). This is a market that doesn’t typically overindex on Hollywood creature features, however, and the Parasite phenomenon was not foreseeable.

Elsewhere, the King is beating its main comps of Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island in some markets. The UK bowed on a non-traditional Wednesday where he generated an estimated $837K on 490 screens (two-day cume is $1.5M). The launch score is 8% above Kong: Skull Island but still relegates the movie to No. 4 amid strong competition (Aladdin, Rocketman, Secret Life Of Pets 2) and under sunny skies.

Taiwan on Wednesday was the next best start at $704K from 320 screens with a 73% share of the Top 5 films and surpassing Skull Island by 22%. In two days, Godzilla has grasped $1.2M.

Indonesia had a $585K start on Wednesday from 727 screens for the No. 2 position. The launch doubled Godzilla and Skull Island, as well as San Andreas. The running two-day tally is $1.5M.

Russia bowed Thursday to $574K from 2,982 screens, ranking No. 2. That’s on par with Skull Island.

The beast ranked No. 3 in Germany on Thursday with an estimated $569K from 852 screens for 33% over Skull Island. Including previews, the running cume is $806K.

Thailand on Thursday gave the monsters a No. 1 start with $550K from 705 for 8% ahead of the previous Godzilla and 15% over Skull Island.

France launched at No. 2 with $507K from 613 screens (including previews) and has a two-day total of $1.3M.

Malaysia has cumed $630K through two days at No. 1; Australia gave the pic a No. 3 start on Thursday with $307K from 378; Hong Kong also had a No. 1 debut with $255K from 76; and Italy is a No. 2 Thursday launch with $190K on 486 — the latter bested Skull Island by 14% and has a cume with previews of $216K.

An additional 24 markets open today, that includes China and Japan, as well as Latin America. The latter should lean in, but Godzilla, Mothra, Rodan and the three-headed King Ghidorah have stiff competition in the family-friendly market from holdover Aladdin. A total 75 markets will be open through today.

Only positive I can say with that 12.5 number is at least it’s only combined Thursday numbers from 45 territories with the remaining opening now without full weekend numbers...

definitely disappointing results thus far.

17 minutes ago, Cookson said:

Only positive I can say with that 12.5 number is at least it’s only combined Thursday numbers from 45 territories with the remaining opening now without full weekend numbers...

It seems I was right when I said it would struggle to reach SOLOW's OS-C numbers. I'm absolutely devastated btw, never thought it would tank so hard.

5 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

It seems I was right when I said it would struggle to reach SOLOW's OS-C numbers. I'm absolutely devastated btw, never thought it would tank so hard.

Disappointing results so far, but I’m not willing to throw in the towel yet. Japan’s opening looks good, and China still might have a surprise for us.. we’ll see with the holiday over there for Saturday.

58 minutes ago, Cookson said:

$12.7M from approximately 16,500 screens in 51 markets through Thursday.

59 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I guess; 70-75mn OS-C Weekend + 60mn China.

$150mn Approx OS-C full run & $120mn in China. $270mn.

I would second that. If openers next week hit it in china it could finish below 120m there as well. This is a disastrous drop for the franchise.

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

I would second that. If openers next week hit it in china it could finish below 120m there as well. This is a disastrous drop for the franchise.

Yeah it’s hard to believe honestly. The movie is straight up made for the summer... just got back from it and the crowd loved it. Very weird coming home from THAT reaction to THIS news. Hopefully at least 400 WW at this point.... 270 os and 130 domestic is right on the money there...

current rumor is a 170m budget. So always the rule to double that(340).. we’ll never know the cost of advertising but 400 would definitely make it tight.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Cookson said:

Yeah it’s hard to believe honestly. The movie is straight up made for the summer... just got back from it and the crowd loved it. Very weird coming home from THAT reaction to THIS news. Hopefully at least 400 WW at this point.... 270 os and 130 domestic is right on the money there...

current rumor is a 170m budget. So always the rule to double that(340).. we’ll never know the cost of advertising but 400 would definitely make it tight.

I would keep fingers crossed. I want non disney movies to break out though it was bleak for this one. Next week wont be pretty either. Scares me to think how bad it could get for Dark Phoenix, Pet 2 and MIB in next 2 weeks.

I think 1st uber non disney and non MCU breakout will be Once Upon. That's going to make bank for sure.

Mike Dougherty won't be getting to direct a big movie anytime soon after this. 

Why the f did they greenlit GvK? So bullish...have a feeling that this movie's performance will have a direct impact on the post production of that movie. Lots of editing, disagreements, displeasure and reshoots on the way.