CaptainJackSparrow

Godzilla: King of the Monsters OS thread

I wouldn’t be surprised if it easily goes over $400M OS. I mean.....Kong: Skull Island got very close to that mark.

Monster/animal-blockbusters are hard to predict. Either they break out (Jurassic World & Kong: Skull Island) or not (War for the Planet of the Apes).

$400M+ OS is my safe bet.

• Like 2

I think this has a great chance at crossing 500M OS. China could be HUGE for this, probably bigger than Domestic. OS audiences normally eat these action-packed creature movies up if they deliver and im sure this will.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

2014 Godzilla should have been a far, far bigger movie at the worldwide box office. The hype and buzz were pretty much unprecedented for a monster movie - but they shot themselves in the foot with the inexplicable Bryan Cranston decision (and perhaps some editing/other creative choices). Therefore my expectations for this are somewhat tempered, as the taste from the original is still there, even if there isn't much continuity in terms of actors.

22 minutes ago, NamakFiskKa said:

What's the expectation for Japan BO ?

This could break big there ?

Godzilla 2014 made $30 million in Japan, whereas the more recent Shin Godzilla grossed $76 million. I would expect this to perform similarly to the Hollywood adaptation, though the introduction of familiar kaiju like Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan could push it higher.

16 minutes ago, Mr Impossible said:

Dark Phoenix might hurt its legs in China. 

It's second weekend (the weekend of Dark Phoenix release) has the Dragon Boat Festival. So while DP will steal lots of screens away from this, Godzilla's second weekend fall wont be as harsh as it would have been without the festival. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Anything over Skull Islands 398M is full on success for me.

With 70m OW I heard someone say for China, suppose 70m for Dom too. Then with total looking at 300m min from OS-C, maybe a 125m OS-C opening? or bigger?

How does 265m OW WW sound?

4 minutes ago, Stewart said:

With 70m OW I heard someone say for China, suppose 70m for Dom too. Then with total looking at 300m min from OS-C, maybe a 125m OS-C opening? or bigger?

How does 265m OW WW sound?

Careful id say. Godzilla 2014 earned only 250,8M OS-C and Kong: SK did 230,5M, so a bit less. I woudnt expect such a big increase to 300M OS-C just yet. A more realisitic target would be the 250M of G14. So assuming 70M OW from China, more like a 100M OW from OS-China and a 60M DOM OW (which looks more likely than 70M right now) = 230M WW OW would be my guess.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Careful id say. Godzilla 2014 earned only 250,8M OS-C and Kong: SK did 230,5M, so a bit less. I woudnt expect such a big increase to 300M OS-C just yet. A more realisitic target would be the 250M of G14. So assuming 70M OW from China, more like a 100M OW from OS-China and a 60M DOM OW (which looks more likely than 70M right now) = 230M WW OW would be my guess.

Makes sense, hadn't really looked at before, was just spitballing the 300m figure. 

So 230 WW OW, seems fairly decent. Looking closer by the day as to who will win between Godzilla or Aladdin!