Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

Jake and Collin (Farrell) are good actors who get lost in blockbusters (outside of fun supporting roles such as Collin's stint on fantastic Beasts). They are just out of their depth when they have to play traditional heroes. In short, headlining blockbusters isn't for everyone. It's really for larger-than-life personalities who know how to infuse those usually stock role with that aspect of themselves. That's why the Rock prospers in the genre and so do MCU actors who turn all their charisma on and play it up big. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Jake and Collin (Farrell) are good actors who get lost in blockbusters (outside of fun supporting roles such as Collin's stint on fantastic Beasts). They are just out of their depth when they have to play traditional heroes. In short, headlining blockbusters isn't for everyone. It's really for larger-than-life personalities who know how to infuse those usually stock role with that aspect of themselves. That's why the Rock prospers in the genre and so do MCU actors who turn all their charisma on and play it up big. 

Nailed it.

1 hour ago, The Futurist said:

Hollywood should invest 230m in a franchise/brand VFX movie and cast :

Liam Hemsworth

Scott Eastwood

Charlie Hunnam

Taylor Kitsch,

with a cameo from Dastan aka JG. 

24m OW confirmed.

After the success of the Hunger Games series, I am kind of surprised Liam Hemsworth has done pretty much nothing of significance since then. Maybe Hollywood only has room for one Hemsworth.

Similarly, I would have expected Hunnam to capitalize on his Sons of Anarchy buzz into something of a movie career. Evidently not.

As for Kitsch, he was OK in John Carter and he did have one great scene in Battleship even though that movie was beyond horrible. He should probably stick to TV where he can recreate his Friday Night Lights and True Detective success.

I think that film would be lucky to make 24M total, let alone OW.

48 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I happened to have opened the thread at the moment the one Robert posted, if their are other mentions to Avatar outside of the last couple pages I'm unaware of them. If you could point them to me if would be much appreciated meridejaneiro. As a side note it's a special day today, exactly 1000 days until Avatar 2.

Lol, you mean 1000 Days until it gets delayed again

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, LonePirate said:

After the success of the Hunger Games series, I am kind of surprised Liam Hemsworth has done pretty much nothing of significance since then. Maybe Hollywood only has room for one Hemsworth.

He got the lead role in that flop Independence Day sequel no one cared about.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Perhaps that statement goes for Collin, but for Jake? Just based on his role in Prince of Persia? I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

I think Unsane is being underestimated. I think it is going to make the top ten by the skin of its teeth, and I think it has a shot at leaping over Midnight Sun's OW this weekend. At least, this is what I hope. It would be an absolute shame to see the frontloading of horror tank what critics say to be the best wide release debuting this weekend.

But I would argue that Unsane has a few things going for it against potential frontloading, including the director's pedigree, and quality of the work, and the novelty of how it was filmed; all of those can entice different filmgoers that aren't already a part of the hardcore horror fanbase.

We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

And I'm very extremely happy for I Can Only Imagine's excellent hold, but it saddens me that Paul, Apostle of Christ was negatively affected. But it does go to show, for the faith-bases filmmakers, that their audience cares for quality just as much as the other audiences, and that the film needs to be well-rounded, not just be a well-crafted film with a disappointing script. This occurrence will be beneficial to the genre for sure.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MOVIEGUY said:

Anyone that says Jake Gyllenhaal can't act hasn't seen Nightcrawler.

Nightcrawler was an excellent film. He was also good in Prisoners which is a classic that does not receive nearly enough credit for being as good as it is.

His films don't make much money but Gyllenhaal does pick great material and is building a strong career for himself.

• Like 2

Saturday evening and night at my theater. Big jump from yesterday for Black Panther, A Wrinkle in Time, I Can Only Imagine, and Game Night

Sold Total Seats Percent Sold
Sherlock Gnomes 29 524 5.5%
Pacific Rim 2 163 1,562 10.4%
Love, Simon 42 234 17.9%
I Can Only Imagine 89 156 57.1%
Black Panther 104 926 11.2%
Midnight Sun 14 234 6.0%
Paul 4 156 2.6%
Unsane 10 312 3.2%
Tomb Raider 25 234 10.7%
A Wrinkle in Time 52 234 22.2%
Strangers 2 4 78 5.1%
Red Sparrow 0 78 0.0%
Death Wish 4 78 5.1%
Game Night 30 156 19.2%
  • Like 4

39 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

True. Also, The Rock will be gone and forgotten in 5-10 years while Jake and Collin will still be working steadily. 

• Like 1