Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

13 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

At the very least, A Quiet Place, Rampage, and Infinity War will hit 100M in April. I think Blockers will too, but that's not guaranteed.

Yeah, Rampage is tracking for a 30M+ OW, but so was San Andreas and that shit blew up. AQP seems likelier and likelier by the day to be The Conjuring V2 as well. Blockers..... I'm sadly not quite as confident, as I don't think there's much GA buzz, despite the rave reviews. It's probably gonna do about the same or better than Game Night did. Though I'd be happy to be wrong.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

Side Effects needs to be brought up more as one of soderbergh's best. It's so fucking good.

One of the best comedies of the last 5 years agreed.

Catherine Zeta Jones is an absolute riot in this.

28 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Until there's a pass for families, these movies are gonna either have to be highly marketed, from a known animated giant (pretty much Pixar/Disney), or offering deals (like BOGOs in Happy Meals, etc)...or you're gonna see crap openers...

Not even close, especially when Moviepass is only 2%. It’s a matter of how appealing it is. 

24 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

It won't get a 3.0 multi so I don't know why that's being brought up. Like Tomb Raider it has lack luster word of mouth and it has a well reviewed big movie on it's hills. 2.5-2.6 at best. A number one opening doesn't matter when the opening isn't good. There is too much emphasis placed on weekend placement. 

Lets see where TR land first.

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

Side Effects needs to be brought up more as one of soderbergh's best. It's so fucking good.

Oceans 11

Traffic

Brockovich

Sex Lies

Side Effects

Out of Sight

All terrific films

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Not even close, especially when Moviepass is only 2%. It’s a matter of how appealing it is. 

Moviepass and Sinemia are probably up to 3 million folks...there are only 27Mish routine moviegoers in US and Canada (so you're now over 10% of that group - that's the most recent 11% of 246M moviegoers who go 1x/month or more from the 2016 MPAA survey)...

And it's not just the members themselves, but the knowledge of what other folks pay...if I don't have it, but I know it's there and what it costs, that affects what I'm now willing to pay...it's the secondary effect that can be even more powerful for reducing what things are worth...I know it's reduced what I will pay for and what I need to get to the theater (if kids aren't pushing, I'm now sure not pushing them out now)...

I mean, for animation/completely family directed movies (where you can toss in Paddington and Peter Rabbit), we've had Coco at $210Mish (and even then, many thought it should be higher) and Peter now getting to $115Mish probably...and nothing else...and we had movies that were A+ Cinescores, huge critical raves, etc, and it didn't help...

Edited by TwoMisfits

Tickets sold yesterday at my theater (* detonates reduced showtimes):

I Can Only Imagine: 438

Sherlock Gnomes: 270 (235 2D/35 3D)

Black Panther: 181 (135 2D/46 3D)

Peter Rabbit: 151*

Paul, Apostle of Christ: 150

A Wrinkle in Time: 144

Midnight Sun: 119

Tomb Raider: 113 (74 2D/39 3D)

Love, Simon: 87

Unsane: 47

Death Wish: 38*

Red Sparrow: 19*

Jumanji: 16*

I can't find any data on Pacific Rim :lol: 

I won't be surprised if my theater ditches Love, Simon next week. Even with the strong hold nationwide, it's skewing very young, which is not my area :gold: 

Yeah, like someone said, this 25m opening for PRU doesn't seem as bad as it could have been, however now that it's looking like it's not breaking out in China, the Pacific Rim franchise could be officially dead... Though it probably should have been after the first film. LP should have gone with a MonsterVerse film(not necessarily Godzilla 2) instead of this risky move with Pacific Rim. I have no idea how the budget got all the way to 150m.. should have been at max 120m.

• Like 1