Finnick

Weekend thread | Deadline Friday Est. (p.11) ~ PR:U 10.1M, BP 4.4M, ICOI 3.7M, TR 2.8M, SG 2.7M, AWIT 2.1M, L,S 2.3M, P,AOC 1.5M, MS 1.45M, GN 1.2M, U 1.3M

1 - Ocean's Eleven

2 - Logan Lucky

3 - Out of Sight

4 - Ocean's Twelve 

5 - Side Effects

6 - Erin Brokovich

7 - Ocean's Thirteen

8 - The Informant

9 - Contagion

10 - Haywire

Man, I need to to watch more Soderbergh movies.

Need for Speed jumped 53% on 2nd Sat. Hoping TR Friday comes a big higher than Deadline's 2.8 and it has a >55% bump on Sat,

2.9 + 4.55 (+57%) + 3.05 (-33%) = 10.5 (-56%)

• Like 1

So Black Panther officially becomes the highest grossing superhero movie/comic book adaptation of all time in the US, eh? Who saw that coming?

Pay attention to what Wonder Woman and Black Panther have done, Hollywood.

Now you cannot use that old BS excuse about audiences not wanting to see people of color or women starring in superhero blockbusters...

Edited by StevenG
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Are people legit surprised Sherlock Gnomes is doing so poorly? I always doubted that families were that desperate.

It wasn't as bad a decision to make as Nut Job Never Again, since Gnomes's 1st version wasn't as annoying and made more money...but waiting so many years for a sequel for an okayish moneymaking and quality movie...not the best idea...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The fans of the first Gnomes movie are 7 years older and that film wasn't looked upon as a classic so yeah a sequel was a bad idea. Still nothing else was out so I was thinking 18-21mil. 

Eh, we've seen time and time again that if a movie doesn't look appealing, people just won't go.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

The fans of the first Gnomes movie are 7 years older and that film wasn't looked upon as a classic so yeah a sequel was a bad idea. Still nothing else was out so I was thinking 18-21mil. 

Peter Rabbit gonna have a stellar hold next weekend it seems. Could take a bit of hit this weekend (compared to earlier holds) despite an under-performing Gnomes but Gnomes should quickly loose whatever steam it has.

49 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Are people legit surprised Sherlock Gnomes is doing so poorly? I always doubted that families were that desperate.

Nope. I love Sherlock Holmes, like go to Holmes Cons, BSI Events, etc. I would’ve been there in a SECOND if it looked halfway decent (or didn’t Star Johnny Depp). No worries! We have Holmes and Watson this fall!! 

Edited by captainwondyful
Typo

Look, BP is just destroying all the new releases thus far so it can't stay on top forever, still looking like another good hold though this weekend.  Ironically as it loses the Weekend Crown, it gains the Domestic Superhero Crown, how poetic, lol.  PR2 budget was a little high based on the performance of the last film.   The first film was close to a 200 Million budget.  This one dropped about 50 Million but still.  I get it, Visual Effects for these types of films cost so maybe PR2 does much better with summer weekdays like the last film which opened after 4th of July.  But it's an original franchise influenced by Japanese Anime where as Transformers was a huge franchise so those films had more of a builtin fanbase than PR films. 

This one is might get lost in the shuffle with a soft opening like that and Spielberg right on it's heels next week.  I don't think we should get into John's drawing power just yet, he's still young and growing, this will be a #1 opening for him as the lead.   It looks to be on track to sell even less tickets than the original and that film didn't even do great domestically.   With that said, it seems Globally saved the first one so I think it will come in handy this time too with overseas expansion but even with a 3x Multiplier off a 24-26 OW is less than 100 Million.  The original adjust to 119.  So it's Finn in the end that takes down T'Challa and Killmonger, lol.  

Edited by filmscholar

Traffic

Ocean's Eleven

Erin Brockovich

Logan Lucky

Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Twelve

And that's it as far as my Soderbergh watches. The first four are all very good/great, and the latter two..... not so much, Though I contemplated watching Contagion and Out Of Sight, still haven't seen either cause I'm lazy. :ph34r:

Anyway, another weekend, another meh slate of wide openers. Uprising taking the #1 spot fulfills a prediction I made in, if I recall correctly, January or February; but still, I think I'd rather see Black Panther #1 for a 6th weekend. Oh well.

On good news, another movie will cross 100M this weekend (Fifty Shades Freed). But by God, only three 100M+ movies at the end of March is some sad stuff going on. I Can Only Imagine has a very tiny dark horse shot if it maintains mad holds, but I wouldn't count on it. Save us, best looking April slate ever (or Ready Player One).

• Like 1

And don't forget - families don't have MoviePass...so they are not gonna waste a ton of funds on potential crud anymore, since they are still paying full price...remember, Peter Rabbit also opened pretty low and ended up legging out its $100M, probably as families found out it wasn't a waste...

Until there's a pass for families, these movies are gonna either have to be highly marketed, from a known animated giant (pretty much Pixar/Disney), or offering deals (like BOGOs in Happy Meals, etc)...or you're gonna see crap openers...

I mean if you go back to last August, what are the wins for the genre?  Few and far between...

PS - Sinemia helps, b/c you can get 2 person plans, but even then, most of those will be couples:)...

Just now, That One Guy said:

From the director of Get Hard :sparta:

Laurie is Mycoft and Fiennes is Moriarty.  It could be the Case of The Silk Stockings bad and my ass would be there Friday OW. 

:hahaha:

8 minutes ago, filmscholar said:

Look, BP is just destroying all the new releases thus far so it can't stay on top forever, still looking like another good hold though this weekend.  Ironically as it loses the Weekend Crown, it gains the Domestic Superhero Crown, how poetic, lol.  PR2 budget was a little high based on the performance of the last film.   The first film was close to a 200 Million budget.  This one dropped about 50 Million but still.  I get it, Visual Effects for these types of films cost so maybe PR2 does much better with summer weekdays like the last film which opened after 4th of July.  But it's an original franchise influenced by Japanese Anime where as Transformers was a huge franchise so those films had more of a builtin fanbase than PR films. 

This one is might get lost in the shuffle with a soft opening like that and Spielberg right on it's heels next week.  I don't think we should get into John's drawing power just yet, he's still young and growing, this will be a #1 opening for him as the lead.   It looks to be on track to sell even less tickets than the original and that film didn't even do great domestically.   With that said, it seems Globally saved the first one so I think it will come in handy this time too with overseas expansion but even with a 3x Multiplier off a 24-26 OW is less than 100 Million.  The original adjust to 119.  

It won't get a 3.0 multi so I don't know why that's being brought up. Like Tomb Raider it has lack luster word of mouth and it has a well reviewed big movie on it's hills. 2.5-2.6 at best. A number one opening doesn't matter when the opening isn't good. There is too much emphasis placed on weekend placement. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6

7 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Traffic

Ocean's Eleven

Erin Brockovich

Logan Lucky

Ocean's Thirteen

Ocean's Twelve

And that's it as far as my Soderbergh watches. The first four are all very good/great, and the latter two..... not so much, Though I contemplated watching Contagion and Out Of Sight, still haven't seen either cause I'm lazy. :ph34r:

Anyway, another weekend, another meh slate of wide openers. Uprising taking the #1 spot fulfills a prediction I made in, if I recall correctly, January or February; but still, I think I'd rather see Black Panther #1 for a 6th weekend. Oh well.

On good news, another movie will cross 100M this weekend (Fifty Shades Freed). But by God, only three 100M+ movies at the end of March is some sad stuff going on. I Can Only Imagine has a very tiny dark horse shot if it maintains mad holds, but I wouldn't count on it. Save us, best looking April slate ever (or Ready Player One).

At the very least, A Quiet Place, Rampage, and Infinity War will hit 100M in April. I think Blockers will too, but that's not guaranteed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

Yeah, 25+ ow a week back would have seemed like a little relief. But then China was expected to do around 150. Now that China is expected to be closer to 110 (maybe less), the 25+ dom ow is looking mellow. 

Everything looks poor when your budget is very unreasonable 155M. I don't know where all that money went. The movie has no stars and previews looked as cheap as any Asylum mockbuster. 

@Zakiyyah6 Heh, speaking of weekend placement, PR:U just can't catch a break. It got the coveted #1 weekend only to have headlines like PR:U is a Lackluster #1, Panther Becomes the Highest Grossing MCU. Even when it dethroned BP, it's BP that's stealing the show with its record-breaking run, while PR:U's shoddy opening number and high budget leave no positive spin for headlines. :hahaha:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 1

sex lies videotape

solaris

side effects

out of sight

ocean's twelve

erin brockovich

ocean's eleven

che

the informant

magic mike