baumer

A Quiet Place (2018)

Grade it  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Very suspenseful, very well acted, and I like that they dont tell you where the creatures came from. Why bother - the answer will never be satisfying. It's also nice to see an "elevated" horror movie that's fun and audience-friendly. A24 this is not. 

But it has problems. For a couple that's so cautious, Blunt & Krazinski sure let their kids run around a lot. Even in the opening I kept wondering why they let their little boy lag so far behind. And getting pregnant in the middle of all this? WTF. 

The movie bites off more than it can chew. It tries to keep upping the ante, but then cheats. Blunt is pregnant and her water breaks and she's bleeding and she steps on a nail and she loudly drops what she's holding and she gives birth...all while the creature stalks her...and you wonder how it will all resolve itself. Will it all track? No. The baby cries when it's convenient for the plot, coos when it's necessary. That's just one expample of a larger issue that runs throughout the movie.

Overall a fun, suspenseful and well-acted creature feature but not as smart as it thinks. B

Edited by La Binoche
  • Like 5

Interesting movie. I honestly was expecting better. 

The beginning of the movie drags, drags, and drags some more lol. Its interesting because this movie has the shortest runtime of any movie I've seen this year and  yet seemed like it was one of the longest. It might of seemed that way because I badly needed to go to the bathroom towards the end though.

I just found some things kind of ridiculous. The random guy that appeared after the father and his son left the river... what was that about? Why would he randomly willfully kill himself and bring a creature into it? So weird. And, like the poster above the sequence where the wife  water breaks, then hits her foot on the nail, and THEN has to hold back while giving birth seemed like a bit much... and then the water is leaking and ends up in the little room they're hiding in and she survives? as well as the baby? Interesting. The family seems extra, extra cautious why would they want to have another child in this dystopian world? Knowing she would have to eventually give birth(which is not known to be a silent venture), babies tend to cry a lot, etc. They literally lost a kid 410 days ago, why would you want another child living in this world?  It just seems irresponsible.

I wish there was a tad bit more gore. The killings were too quick and you didnt really get to see what type of horror the monsters inflict on its victims. (The CGI on the creatures was phenomenal though - especially with that budget! Wow!) It makes you wonder why big budget block busters that spend a gazillion dollars end up with such shitty CGI.

Overall I give it a B

Edited by YLF
  • Like 5

This was a sweet little movie. Very well acted and had surprisingly tender moments. Others have already mentioned the things that’ll likely get audiences to roll their eyes, but it all worked overall. The oldest daughter pissed me off at times, but I do have to acknowledge that she’s a child who would feel and carry the guilt of what happened with her brother, even though he was ultimately the responsibility of the parents. And it’s also understandable that in the year that passed since his death, the family just moved on and tried to survive instead of talking it out and reassuring each other. That nail scene though... Emily’s character went through the worst imo. Glad it was short and they didn’t show if they all survive against the remaining 2 monsters, though I think they will. B+

• Like 2

Solid film. Well acted. Good character work. Looked fabulous. My big issue was use of a traditional score. I would have much preferred them to use practical noises only, and really crank it. (a la the infamous toast buttering scene in Phantom Thread). A-/B+

• Like 2

Dragged a little bit in the middle but overall very enjoyable.

Spoilerly nitpicking:

Spoiler

I didn't like the one jump scare where the daughter leans over by the tractor and the son reaches out from under and grabs her hand, that seemed out of place.  And when they were sinking into the corn it was inconsistent, and I don't believe they would sink so easily, it would take more to go under and then would be much harder to get out.

Also some of the articles on the wall were saying these monsters were indestructible (if my memory serves), but one shotgun hit to the head takes it out.

And if I were there I would have put some kind of sound-traps at various places far away from the home that I could trigger from the house to lure them away if they ever got close.  All they had were the fireworks which was good but has no payoff for the monsters.  They'll be confused and probably go back to what they were looking for before.  Give them a sound-trap with an animal on it so they think they got something real and forget about whatever sound brought them to close to the home.

Also the girl must have been adopted.  Very unlikely those parents would have a kid who looked like that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MattW said:

Dragged a little bit in the middle but overall very enjoyable.

Spoilerly nitpicking:

Hide contents

I didn't like the one jump scare where the daughter leans over by the tractor and the son reaches out from under and grabs her hand, that seemed out of place.  And when they were sinking into the corn it was inconsistent, and I don't believe they would sink so easily, it would take more to go under and then would be much harder to get out.

Also some of the articles on the wall were saying these monsters were indestructible (if my memory serves), but one shotgun hit to the head takes it out.

And if I were there I would have put some kind of sound-traps at various places far away from the home that I could trigger from the house to lure them away if they ever got close.  All they had were the fireworks which was good but has no payoff for the monsters.  They'll be confused and probably go back to what they were looking for before.  Give them a sound-trap with an animal on it so they think they got something real and forget about whatever sound brought them to close to the home.

Also the girl must have been adopted.  Very unlikely those parents would have a kid who looked like that.

I saw someone link these in regards to the corn thing:

OSHA_grain_entrapment_illustration.jpg

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/12/drowning-in-corn/383455/

It didn't really bother me. That and the nail were probably the most horrifying things in the movie, for me anyway.

• Like 3

A Quiet Place marks a mightily impressive - and unexpected - directorial turn from John Krasinski. While it's not his debut behind the camera, it still feels like quite the career reinvention in light of the fact that The Office is his most notable work to this point. The film is a ferociously intense white-knuckle thriller that also works as an allegory of the anxieties of bringing children into an increasingly troubled world. Every scene is well-constructed, the pacing and editing make most of the slim 90-minute run time feel almost unbearably tense, and the family dynamics in the script are genuinely affecting and raise the already-high stakes in place in its intriguing premise. In front of the camera, Krasinski does some of his best acting to date in a surprisingly tender performance that ultimately earns a big emotional payoff near the end. Emily Blunt is also stellar as usual in a highly expressive role where she makes excellent use of facial expressions and nonverbal techniques. Young actress Millicent Simmonds is also really impressive in conveying her character's conflict without a single line of spoken dialogue. The tight-knit ensemble meshes so well that I never felt the film needed to expand its scope to include more characters or more thorough background information about the setting. It's also the rare PG-13 horror that earns its jump scares, thanks in large part to how effectively it handles the conceit of characters needing to make as little noise as possible to survive. All in all, it's a thrilling experience that makes the most of its deliberately limited setting and leaves a deep mark.

A-

Stray Thoughts:

- I'm a little surprised that this film got away with a PG-13 after The Conjuring was deemed "too scary for a PG-13" despite less blood and a slightly less intense approach.

- Glad to see that it looks like I wasn't the only one cringing hard at all the business with that nail. :o

• Like 1

That last shot.  Full Metal Bitch is back. 

That was great. 

I was getting slightly agitated that she was taking so long to realise what was happening with the Cochlear implant.  However, the payoff was awesome. 

How the fuck does a nail suddenly appear in the stairs?

A-

(My nephew has a cochlear implant and although I knew one of the kids was deaf it was great to see the cochlear implant be a key plot point. It’s interesting they learned sign language as he won’t be learning sign language. I know the actress herself learned sign language after receiving her implants.)

• Like 1

Ending was so, so great. It doesn't matter whether they survive or not (but we can imagine that they do), monsters have a weakness which others will discover too, sooner or later, and humans will fight back (shot gun), prevail and renew (babies). Perfection. Sorry BroomBoi, but this is how you do the "hope for the future" last scene. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 3

Loved it. Sure, there were inconsistencies with how careful the family was that bothered me (unless you WANT another kid use a condom for gods sake). 

Krasinski's death was heartbreaking. Saw it with some co-workers including my sister and she actually cried. 

Really well-done overall, would see again.

A

• Like 2