Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

1 minute ago, slambros said:

I dunno. There's no denying how difficult it is to tell a story with minimal words or no words. But I do think this would be a Dunkirk situation rather than a The Artist situation. But I'd love to be proven wrong; I haven't seen the film but I can tell that it's groundbreaking stuff. We'll see.

I have not seen it yet but I am guessing it will not be nominated. 

I think Get Out was a fluke. I seriously doubt that a ton of horror movies, no matter how great (and AQP is great) will start garnering major Oscar nominations. People will disappoint themselves if they believe that will become some kind of norm.

Awesome start for A Quiet Place. $19 million is well above even my highest expectations prior to the release of the Thursday preview number. As for the Oscar discussion: I seriously doubt that it will be a major player. It may share the same genre as Get Out, but it's not going to tap into the cultural zeitgeist the way that film did. It will make money, sure, but it's not going to take off as the same kind of cause Get Out was on the awards circuit.

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I think Get Out was a fluke. I seriously doubt that a ton of horror movies, no matter how great (and AQP is great) will start garnering major Oscar nominations. People will disappoint themselves if they believe that will become some kind of norm.

Get Out was equally social commentary as it was horror. Plus it was an amazing film and did super well at the box office. Based on quality it deserved to be an Oscar film. Get out is great but not like that. But we are forgetting the fact that this is one of the biggest horror openers ever. 

9 minutes ago, Dexter of Suburbia said:

I have not seen it yet but I am guessing it will not be nominated. 

Same. I'd love to be proven wrong, because it'd be an exciting nomination for sure, but there's no denying that it's got an uphill battle.

6 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I agree. The thing to take away from Get Out isn't the horror aspect; it's the social commentary aspect. So given the choice between A Quiet Place and (for example) Sorry To Bother You, I would pick Sorry To Bother You as the film whose chance has been catapulted by Get Out's breakthrough. Horror is absolutely still a longshot.

(Of course, all eyes are on Hereditary to capitalize on potentially becoming 'the next The Exorcist' - though even that could be unlikely.)

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

$54M seems like an awful optimistic weekend # to start from right now...Sunday night is gonna be dead, and Saturday will be hard pressed to beat overall Friday (Friday + previews)...so, I'm not sure how you get to that OW number except a little faith?:)

I mean $19, $19, and $12.5 gets me to $50.5M...are you even more optimistic than a 30% real Friday jump today and a 34% drop on Sunday?

(Now, that being said, I hope you're right b/c I love that this year all these premier movies are just doing great...and the only real disappointments are the reboots and sequels:)...

I have it increasing 10% today with a 35-37% drop tomorrow. There's going to be spillover.

• Like 1

Friday April 6 should be known as the day Paramount passed his curse to Universal. Bumblebee will outgross TF5. Jurassic World 2 will do less than half of the first movie. Quote me when both of these happen.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

Friday April 6 should be known as the day Paramount passed his curse to Universal. Bumblebee will outgross TF5. Jurassic World 2 will do less than half of the first movie. Quote me when both of these happen.

Mission Impossible Fallout will make 300M domestic.  Mamma Mia will fail to cross 50M domestic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

So is Blum like some sort of immune carrier?

3 minutes ago, CJohn said:

This curse started on the day a John Cena movie came out, and another Cena movie will reap the benefits :ohmygod: 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Get Out (i believe) is seen as an outstanding film not for its actual fimmaking quality (which is above-average but not great), but for its themes and the way it connected its social commentary to the current political climate (especially ofc the US).

A Quiet Place may be a lot better than Get Out as "just a movie" (i havent seen AQP yet, so cant share my personal opinion), but it wont have any chance at the non-technical categorys of the Oscars. Genre movies, the academy doesnt like them. For the record, i personally think that the Academy Awards are a bad representation of the actual "best films of the year", as many choices they made are completely baffling to me. 

What's wrong with the film making?

It's hard to imagine a better executed version of Get Out. It does exactly what it's supposed to do masterfully.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

I don’t think Get Out was a fluke. That was one of the best screenplays of the decade, certainly the best horror screenplay since the 1970s. 

I do agree that it won’t be a watershed for horror at the Oscars. And if history repeats, we won’t see a horror movie get that much buzz for another 15-20 years. (Rosemary’s Baby was 1968, Silence Of the Lambs was 1991, Get Out was 2018)

I don’t see A Quiet Place making it past Oscar nominations. The script has flaws once you start to over think it, and Disney will be all in for Emily Blunt with Mary Poppins. If anything, it’s like TAG said: could sneak in for sound. 

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

I love you man

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

IMO, GO should have won Picture. I don't think it has any evil agenda, WTF? I'm just acknowledging that AMPAS saw it as an important movie rather than "just a horror movie" which greatly helped its nominations. Great horror w/o importance doesn't make it even in techs. Likewise, I think that BP has excellent chance for major noms at least in Picture because it's seen as important rather than "just a super hero movie". TDK is an all time greatness but couldn't do shit at the Oscars without importance factor. But it clearly stood the test of time and aged better than shitfest that won that year (Slumdog). 

I don't know why people get offended when someone points out that importance gave so and so movie a leg up over other genre movies that couldn't. It's a fact. It doesn't diminish their achievement. I think that LOTR movies are the best movies ever but I acknowledge the fact that filming back to back gave them leg up in the oscar race. Fat chance ROTK would have won if they had been filmed 2-3 years apart like any franchise. But the achievement of that undertaking was so great that AMPAS had to put genre bias aside and award the trilogy. 

And oscars are not a merit of quality. Just look at mediocre shit that get nominated and that wins. So that's that.

It's just that usually when people say a movie was praised due to an agenda they're trivializing the important themes and the praise at the same time.

I agree that winning Oscars are not always a reliable indication of quality.

Demo breakdowns:

A Quiet Place:

50/50 gender split

37-44% of the audience is under 25, who gave it an A- (Deadline contradicts the smaller percentage later in the article)

14% of the audience is under 18, who gave it an A-

90% of the audience bought their tickets the same day

89% of the audience is positive with 63% giving it a definite recommend

31% of the audience came because of Krasinski

24% of the audience came because of Blunt

Blockers:

57/43 gender split in favor of females, who were 77% positive

19% of the audience is between 18-24

10% of the audience is under 18

Females under 25 enjoyed it the most and were 82% positive

Chappaquiddick:

73% of the audience is over 50, who gave it a B-