Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

4 hours ago, Nova said:

What do you mean by groundbreaking? 

Innovation.

There's never been a movie like Get Out.

To make a racism allegory with a horror/thriller is a cool idea but to execute it in such an effective and profound way makes it groundbreaking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I don’t think Get Out was a fluke. That was one of the best screenplays of the decade, certainly the best horror screenplay since the 1970s. 

I do agree that it won’t be a watershed for horror at the Oscars. And if history repeats, we won’t see a horror movie get that much buzz for another 15-20 years. (Rosemary’s Baby was 1968, Silence Of the Lambs was 1991, Get Out was 2018)

I don’t see A Quiet Place making it past Oscar nominations. The script has flaws once you start to over think it, and Disney will be all in for Emily Blunt with Mary Poppins. If anything, it’s like TAG said: could sneak in for sound. 

I mean Get Out was a fluke for the Oscars not as a film. It's a great film, a modern classic and it deserved all of it's award success and box office but the fact of the matter is that the Oscars don't usually care for horror films no matter how good they are. If it were up to me A Quiet Place would probably get several Oscar nominations but then again I'm gaga over the film. And I shouldn't say that because it's still early in the year. lol

• Thanks 1

You need to keep in mind the film's tiny budget and its sensational domestic gross when you're discussing Get Out and its Oscar performance. Yes, it was a quality film centered on some hot topic issues; but more importantly, the film was a financial winner that surprised a lot of people. I certainly would have preferred Get Out to have won Best Picture instead of The Shape of Water, though.

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Demo breakdowns:

A Quiet Place:

50/50 gender split

37-44% of the audience is under 25, who gave it an A- (Deadline contradicts the smaller percentage later in the article)

14% of the audience is under 18, who gave it an A-

90% of the audience bought their tickets the same day

89% of the audience is positive with 63% giving it a definite recommend

31% of the audience came because of Krasinski

24% of the audience came because of Blunt

Blockers:

57/43 gender split in favor of females, who were 77% positive

19% of the audience is between 18-24

10% of the audience is under 18

Females under 25 enjoyed it the most and were 82% positive

Chappaquiddick:

73% of the audience is over 50, who gave it a B-

Miracle Season:

74/26 gender split in favor of females

52% of the audience is over 25

Where do you get these from?

Just now, LonePirate said:

You need to keep in mind the film's tiny budget and its sensational domestic gross when you're discussing Get Out and its Oscar performance. Yes, it was a quality film centered on some hot topic issues; but more importantly, the film was a financial winner that surprised a lot of people. I certainly would have preferred Get Out to have won Best Picture instead of The Shape of Water, though.

I think The Shape of Water is a good film but yeah I'd choose Get Out over it.

14 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

What's wrong with the film making?

It's hard to imagine a better executed version of Get Out. It does exactly what it's supposed to do masterfully.

Get Out's cinematography and overall presentation are far from perfect. It doesnt really look "cinematic" and reminded me of a TV-Show (which in some cases isnt a bad thing, but i just wished this movie looked better). The camera is quite stale, the directing is just solid, not great (for example, IT had far better cinematography and directing). The jumpscare noises were incredibly annoying and totally unneccessary (ftr, i hate these loud jump noises in all horror films). Also, the movie itself was extremely predictable for me and i laughed not once. I also didnt find it to be scary at all but thats probably me because the last film that scared me was Lost Highway and thats like 8 years ago.

Just to be clear, i really like the film and its certainly one of the most unique and thematically effective "horror" movies of this decade. But as a film, it could have been even better.

Edited by Brainbug

1 hour ago, Critically Acclaimed Panda said:

That’s true but a lot of the Oscar noms aren’t much better so?

they might just be slightly better but they are certainly need oscar much more than blockbusters do to be sustainable....

I have no objection about oscar has special favor in those indie drama, as long as they serve me good.....

1 minute ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

I would say that Star Wars: The Last Jedi > all these films

In a just world, BR2049 would have won Best Picture, War for the Planet of the Apes Best Effects, Hugh Jackmann (Logan) best Actor and The Last Jedi everything else :P

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Valonqar said:

IMO, GO should have won Picture. I don't think it has any evil agenda, WTF? I'm just acknowledging that AMPAS saw it as an important movie rather than "just a horror movie" which greatly helped its nominations. Great horror w/o importance doesn't make it even in techs. Likewise, I think that BP has excellent chance for major noms at least in Picture because it's seen as important rather than "just a super hero movie". TDK is an all time greatness but couldn't do shit at the Oscars without importance factor. But it clearly stood the test of time and aged better than shitfest that won that year (Slumdog). 

I don't know why people get offended when someone points out that importance gave so and so movie a leg up over other genre movies that couldn't. It's a fact. It doesn't diminish their achievement. I think that LOTR movies are the best movies ever but I acknowledge the fact that filming back to back gave them leg up in the oscar race. Fat chance ROTK would have won if they had been filmed 2-3 years apart like any franchise. But the achievement of that undertaking was so great that AMPAS had to put genre bias aside and award the trilogy. 

And oscars are not a merit of quality. Just look at mediocre shit that get nominated and that wins. So that's that.

IMDB top 250 carry tons of shit, and so to RT score, and the same systematic "error" happened to oscar too....