Fancyarcher

Weekend Thread | Estimates: AQP 50M, RP1 25M, CKBLK 21.4M, BP 8.4M,

Last Thursday, I mentioned if AWiT beat Tomorrowland's weekly drops only by a tiny amount, it would indeed just inch past 100m.

Well, my spreadsheet is on my main computer, so I won't be able to run the numbers until then, but for now a teaser:

Tomorrowland's weekend 5 drop:  -37.7

A Wrinkle in Time's projected weekend 5 drop: -35.0

So, yes, presuming it doesn't come too far under that number, AWiT is showing signs of legging it out to 100m.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

I think they should make another Tomb Raider movie, BUT they really should make a good movie or it'll turn into Tomb Raider Uprising...

I think the 2nd one will be better they set up a nemisis for her now and she is out to stop the trinity and their evil plans also more Daniel Wu and Nick Frost.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, svenson said:

It is and we are getting a sequel. A movie with now on 2.8x budget is a win to any studio its not like its made all its money in China either like some Warcraft or something like that. It will launch a franchise. Pretty much all agree that Vkander is fantastic and the only problem is the story for some. That they can make better in a follow up too. They can release it in the summer or December where movies have more legs because of the holidays. The sequel can cost 80-85 million thats a decent budget for an adventure action flick.

What at is the benefit of a sequel when it would likely make less money?

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Last Thursday, I mentioned if AWiT beat Tomorrowland's weekly drops only by a tiny amount, it would indeed just inch past 100m.

Well, my spreadsheet is on my main computer, so I won't be able to run the numbers until then, but for now a teaser:

Tomorrowland's weekend 5 drop:  -37.7

A Wrinkle in Time's projected weekend 5 drop: -35.0

So, yes, presuming it doesn't come too far under that number, AWiT is showing signs of legging it out to 100m.  

WiT's worst case scenario now should be about 98m. That's TL holds from here out, which had some really nasty holds after this weekend. So 100 seems pretty likely. 

7 minutes ago, svenson said:

I think the 2nd one will be better they set up a nemisis for her now and she is out to stop the trinity and their evil plans also more Daniel Wu and Nick Frost.

Yeah, that cliffhanger is what keeps me focused on another movie.

• Like 2

For TR sequel to be profitable somehow, they need to scale down the budget even more (tough for a movie series that's all about exotic locations) and make a movie that pops enough to look amazing in previews. Big problem with this TR was that previews looked generic af so whatever decent to good movie was hidden behind, that didn't come through. 

Another thing that TR has against it is that it's only known for Lara and more specifically her boobs. Nobody knows about some great villains or story arcs or whatever, unlike SH properties that bring the whole package with them so people can get excited in advance. 

Edited by Valonqar

PRU might be the first(or second)strike for Legendary. That company is in trouble. Right now, fans are safe with Godzilla 2.... Just need Godzilla vs Kong to begin production and released. Then LP can go under.

1 hour ago, svenson said:

Domestic domestic yada yada yada. There is more to the World than America and ICOI will not even get close to what TR is on in WW cume. 

Pacific Rim fans treated domestic like it didn't matter either. It matters. Pacific Rim fans ignored that the word of mouth for the film was okay at best, nothing special and nothing good enough to start a great franchise on. Tomb Raider fans are saying the exact same things and are ignoring that we have the results of making a sequel to a movie that only had an okay reception and flopped domestically. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 4
  • ...wtf 1

The good news for BP next weekend is that even though it will lose a lot of theaters, it's TC holds have been so amazing the past few weekends that it could lose a whopping 1,000 and still be on an even playing field with the likes of TFA and TA in their 9th weekends. 

Emily Blunt stock is rising and rising among dudebros :

Looper

Edge of Tomorrow

Sicario

A Quiet Place

One of their favourite actresses for sure.

Edited by The Futurist

18 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

Yeah, that cliffhanger is what keeps me focused on another movie.

yeah its all being set up. Its funny seeing these haters use PR as an excuse for the sequel to do bad. When PR cost way more it barely made 2x budget and it was a closed movie and they lost core cast and their critically praised director as well. TR is cheaper and its on 2.80x budget now plus its set up to more adventures and Vikander is not leaving. The sequel could definitely do better in a different release window and budget a little over 80-85 million too.

Edited by svenson
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, svenson said:

yeah its all being set up. Its funny seeing these haters use PR as an excuse for the sequel to do bad. When PR cost way more it barely made 2x budget and it was a closed movie and the cast and their critically praised director as well. TR is cheaper and its on 2.80x budget now plus its set up to more adventures and Vikander is not leaving. The sequel could definitely do better in a different release window and budget a little over 80-85 million too.

Could you please name a film that cost more than $90M, made less than $60M domestic, and got a sequel?  The only example I can find is Chronicles of Riddick, and that came out 9 years later and had a third of the last film’s budget

Edited by That Ambitious Guy

1 minute ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

Could you please name a film that cost more than $90M, made less than $60M domestic, and got a sequel?  The only example I can find is Chronicles of Riddick, and that came out 9 years later and had its budget cut by a third

91hm1pb7HDL._SY445_.jpg

Alicia vs. The Undertaker's gonna be LIT

• Haha 3