sfran43

Weekend Thread: WKND #BoxOffice - APR 20-22:#AQuietPlace $22M/$132.4M#Rampage $21M/$66.6M#IFeelPretty $16.2M#SuperTroopers $14.7M#TruthOrDare $7.9M/$30.4M pg 24

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

With the Thursday figures, wie might see some pretty good holds for Rampage, Quiet Place and Co. More often then not movies die before a huge monster opens (the pre- TFA/RO/TLJ weekends were especially dead), but this might not be the case here.

How good should AQP hold to make 200m a possibility?

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

With the Thursday figures, wie might see some pretty good holds for Rampage, Quiet Place and Co. More often then not movies die before a huge monster opens (the pre- TFA/RO/TLJ weekends were especially dead), but this might not be the case here.

Those are the worst weekends for box office normally though. It is the weekends in between Thanksgiving and Christmas when people aren't going to the movies as much due to wrapping up things before the holidays. Also, coming off the Thanksgiving weekend, movies fall much harder as well. That's kind of why studios don't release movies in that corridor. Whereas now there is no difference between the box office trends last week and this week, no big holidays, no inflated weekends to drop from etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, tawasal said:

That statement from her come after the initial reports of her team going to netflix to demand more after the deals netflix made with Dave and Chris were news. 

How is that different than what I wrote ?

3 minutes ago, Kraken said:

How good should AQP hold to make 200m a possibility?

It will be pretty difficult as there is no movie that has opened pre-summer and after NYE's that have made to 200m and above with 50m - 60m Opening Weekend. That closest was Monsters Vs. Aliens which made $198,542,554 with 59m opening, that is around 3.3-3.5x multiplier. It needs 4x or more to reach over 200m with 50m OW. And with AIW opening soon, that will definitely hurt it some, it's very likely that it could just top Get Out and stop around 185-190m. 

• Like 1

I gotta say man I think I'm pretty okay at this box office stuff but I have never, ever been as out of touch with a movie overperforming than Super Troopers 2. Even when an imported Indian film breaks out I'm much more aware of that than this movie.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

Gotta say, i tried watching Trainwreck...and it was...a trainwreck. One of the most unfunny comedys ive ever seen. After that i tried watching some of Schumers live performances and...well, im sure there are some people who find her funny, i guess? Im not one of them.

I think Trainwreck is pretty hilarious

• Like 1

Deadline's Weekend update:

The matinee numbers are now coming in for the three new titles opening this weekend, two comedies and one dark thriller with surprises all around. Amy Schumer’s I Feel Pretty, which grabbed $1M in previews last night looks to take in around $20M for the three-day and is competing right now with last weekend’s A Quiet Place for No. 1. The horror thriller also looks like $20M weekend after a $6M Friday.

I Feel Pretty is on its way to an estimated $7M gross today. The performance of I Feel Pretty is right in line with Schumer’s previous comedy outing Snatched which debuted to $19.5M last year.

Super Troopers 2 is just jamming right now, having nailed down $1.35M in previews and now looks to more than double its previous estimate for its three-day with $15M. Fox intiated double features in 900+ theaters for die hards who wanted to see the 2001 movie again. Good idea to remind people of what they loved about the film 17 years ago. It is on track for a $7M Friday as well.

Finally, Traffik looks like $1.6M today (including $225K from Thursday night shows) for a 3-day debut of $4.4M.

And where is last weekend’s No. 1 movie Rampage? Based on matinees, the Dwayne Johnson popcorn movie may swing in with $5M and a three-day of around $16M. A week ago, it was in a battle with A Quiet Place and pulled ahead at the end due to a stronger than expected Sunday.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, That Ambitious Guy said:

I think Trainwreck is pretty hilarious

Comedy is mabye the most subjective thing in regards to movie genres. For example, i love Hot Shots! Part Deux, but a friend of mine cant stand even 1 second of that film. :lol:

1 minute ago, Brainbug said:

Comedy is mabye the most subjective thing in regards to movie genres. For example, i love Hot Shots! Part Deux, but a friend of mine cant stand even 1 second of that film. :lol:

You need new friends bro.

• Haha 1

hot shots part deux is one of my favourite comedies because it was on tv alllll the time when i was a kid and i'd watch it like twice a week. FOR SOME REASON tho this scene isn't on my dvd copy of the film. idk why it was in it whenever i watched it on tv and i loved this scene

• Thanks 1