CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

1 minute ago, Premium George said:

What the fuck is up with Venom trailer views and likes? Getting suicide squad vibes.

I have a bit of a theory about that.

That trailer almost revels in being a mid to late 90s/early 00s type comic book movie.  We're ALMOST at the point where folks can be nostalgic for such films.

Either way, I think it is different enough from a lot of modern CBMs that it is tapping a market that usually isn't usually flocking to them. 

Might be why its getting so many likes even though a lot of folks here think its trash.

One idea at least.  Could be totally off base here. 

Some dude in the theater just yelled something about Tony Romo and the panthers:winomg:

Be careful on Google guys. I went to Google panthers and I almost saw something about infinity war on some dudes Twitter feed on the Google page.

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I have a bit of a theory about that.

That trailer almost revels in being a mid to late 90s/early 00s type comic book movie.  We're ALMOST at the point where folks can be nostalgic for such films.

Either way, I think it is different enough from a lot of modern CBMs that it is tapping a market that usually isn't usually flocking to them. 

Might be why its getting so many likes even though a lot of folks here think its trash.

One idea at least.  Could be totally off base here. 

I don't know about likes, trailer looks bad. But I can understand trailer views. SM3 was huge and in asia specially, it's one of the biggest blockbuster, on TV included. 

That thumbnail of Venom with teeth must have worked. Don't be surprised when this opens $80m+ or even $100m+, even if reviews are shit. OS will be great.

Edited by Premium George

Assuming $45M for Thursday previews is accurate, this is huge! Tied for second best of all time, behind only The Force Awakens which benefited from years of pent of nostalgia.

My best guess of total Friday gross, assuming the 45M projection is accurate, is using The Dark Knight Rises' share of opening day from previews, which is the smallest among films with such huge previews (at 40.4%).

This would give Infinity War a $111M opening day - 45M from previews, and a 66M true Friday - which if I'm not mistaken would be the largest opening true Friday ever.

But it's just a guess! And based on early projections of Thursday previews that could change (up or down). Below are the top 15 preview grosses of all-time, and the share of their opening day from previews. However the weekend plays out, it's clear Infinity War is going to be huge. A potentially record breaking opening weekend here! Exciting!

Estimated Top Midnight/Preview Grosses of All-Time

Rank / Title / Gross / Share of Opening Day

1. Star Wars: The Force Awakens — 57.0 million (47.9%)
2. Avengers: Infinity War — 45.0 million (TBD)
3. Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 45.0 million (43.0%)
4. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 — 43.5 million (47.7%)
5. The Dark Knight Rises — 30.6 million (40.4%)
6. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2 — 30.4 million (42.7%)
7. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 — 30.25 million (42.2%)
8. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse — 30.1 million (43.9%)
9. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story — 29.0 million (40.8%)
10. Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice — 27.7 million (34.0%)
11. Avengers: Age of Ultron — 27.6 million (32.7%)
12. The Twilight Saga: New Moon — 26.27 million (36.1%)
13. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire — 25.26 million (35.6%)
14. Black Panther — 25.2 million (33.2%)
15. Captain America: Civil War — 25 million (33.1%)

Peace,

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1