CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

People clapped at my second showing. It was just one dude at first so I was like hah awkward but then a bunch more joined in. Don't see that too often here. Was kinda weird!

IW is a real fun movie to watch with a big crowd though. Good times.

• Like 3

If Sat is 80 then ow record is more likely than not. 105.9+80+62.1 (-22.4%) = 248.0

that Sun hold is well within reach. And if Fri is ~107 all the better.

edit: 255 is possible too. 

Spoiler

And also,

106.7+83+70.3 (-15%) = 260 :sparta:

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

People clapped at my second showing. It was just one dude at first so I was like hah awkward but then a bunch more joined in. Don't see that too often here. Was kinda weird!

IW was by far the best experience I ever had with a crowd. People who poopoo moviegoers getting excited about what's on screen should wait until after opening weekend. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a2knet said:

If Sat is 80 then ow record is more likely than not. 105.9+80+62.1 (-22.4%) = 248.0

that Sun hold is well within reach. And if Fri is ~107 all the better.

That Sunday hold is on the pessimistic side given the trend of the weekend. Sunday is going to have significant spillover. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The ugly truth is out - they're Star Wars fanboys.

That and it was breaking the record by $40m

Shouldn’t there be more updates for a photo finish than something which is obviously a blowout by Fri?

3 minutes ago, aabattery said:

LBix6VP.gif

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, aabattery said:

I've never seen/heard anyone in an audience clapping or cheering outside of a preview or opening night screening, so yeah, I'd take this example as an encouraging anecdotal sign.

Saturday 11:37PM: With an estimated $247.1MAvengers: Infinity War is quite close to smoking Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($247.96M) for the best domestic opening of all-time, but even rivals prefer to wait until morning before they even call it a record.

C'mon, Sunday spillover, don't let me down.

Edited by Mekanos

http://deadline.com/2018/04/avengers-infinity-war-weekend-box-office-opening-records-1202378032/

Saturday 11:37PM: With an estimated $247.1MAvengers: Infinity War is quite close to smoking Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($247.96M) for the best domestic opening of all-time, but even rivals prefer to wait until morning before they even call it a record.

Today, Infinity War conquered the record for the best Saturday ever with $80.9M, which is 16% ahead of the previous Saturday record owned by Jurassic World ($69.6M, June 13, 2015). Today was a wonderful -25% ease from Friday’s $106.7M (including $39M Thursday previews). Back those previews out of Friday ($67.7M) and today was +19% over Friday for Infinity War.

58 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Yee just saying that "OW record breakers tend to have good legs" is not really true. Context - ie, accessibility for non-fans, and why it's breaking the record - matters

It is absolutely true that OW record breakers tend to have good legs. There are exactly two OW record breakers that have had sub 3x legs in the past 45 years or so.    

Now obviously something from the 80s is not really a useful comparison — the nature of cinema and personal entertainment have simply changed, and multi aren’t what they once were. But if you go back to Batman Forever as the first to crack 50 (starting the CBM multiple of 50 tradition) 9/11 OW record breakers are over 3x legs.  Even choosing the least favorable historical period possible, starting from Spider-Man 3, and 4/6 record breakers have 3x+ legs.          

There are exceptions, and reasons to expect IW will be an exception, but the tendency for OW record setters to leg better than 3x is very plainly there in the data.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XO21 said:

I suppose we’ll have a new record by one million like Jurassic World/ The Avengers.

The same Sunday drop as Avengers 1 off of that Saturday is 66M

Edited by kswiston
  • Like 1