CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

In response to the walkup question at the top of the previous page: it really depends on the cinema and the area in which it's located. My hometown cinemas booked it on a total of three screens across three locations, so yes, here you would have needed to get tickets hours (if not days) in advance to avoid being sold out. But I saw the first Avengers on its opening Saturday at a cinema that was running the film on 7 of its 18 screens, and the 11:30 AM 3D screening had around 50 people in a gigantic auditorium, so it was entirely conceivable that people could just walk up and have no trouble getting tickets depending upon the showing in question (for comparison's sake: the 10:30 2D screening across the hall looked like it had around 75-100 people in a 300-ish-seat auditorium, while the early afternoon IMAX 3D there sold out).

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1

250 million is locked IMO. 

I spent months saying there's basically no way this tops TFA and it would be lucky to sniff 240M. I will eat humble crow pie over and over. I'm saying it. A quarter billion dollars for three days. Thanos demands it.

• Like 2

On 25/04/2018 at 11:21 PM, DeeCee said:

The Avengers opened on the exact same day with $6m and then $13.3m for the regular 4 day weekend. 

IW is looking at a 35-40% increase for for the OD alone. I suspect the 4 day weekend won’t jump that much.    A 10% increase puts it around $15m. That’s around $23m for the first 5 days. A 15% increase on TA

Ballpark Domestic I’d go with USD240-260. 

Since this post the Aussie 5 day is now cleaning AUD30m. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, grey ghost said:

Winter legs aside is it safe to say IW was less divisive and more embraced than TFA and obviously TLJ?

TFA was not divisive in any meaningful. non whiny-internet-hindsight way, lmao

• Like 6

I know that inflation is what it is, but as someone who remembers feeling that Spider-Man's $114.8 million record seemed unfathomably huge, it still blows my mind that a movie needs to hit nearly a quarter of a billion dollars to claim the domestic opening record now. Then again, I'm also astonished that kids born when Spider-Man was released are just about old enough to drive in the U.S., so... ;)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mekanos said:

250 million is locked IMO. 

I spent months saying there's basically no way this tops TFA and it would be lucky to sniff 240M. I will eat humble crow pie over and over. I'm saying it. A quarter billion dollars for three days. Thanos demands it.

Even crazier is that it's looking to blow past $600m WW this w/e without opening in China.

• Like 3

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Even crazier is that it's looking to blow past $600m WW this w/e without opening in China.

Still wish it had opened in China this w/e :( 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BoilingHotCoffee said:

http://deadline.com/2018/04/avengers-infinity-war-weekend-box-office-opening-records-1202378032/

Saturday 11:37PM: With an estimated $247.1MAvengers: Infinity War is quite close to smoking Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($247.96M) for the best domestic opening of all-time, but even rivals prefer to wait until morning before they even call it a record.

Today, Infinity War conquered the record for the best Saturday ever with $80.9M, which is 16% ahead of the previous Saturday record owned by Jurassic World ($69.6M, June 13, 2015). Today was a wonderful -25% ease from Friday’s $106.7M (including $39M Thursday previews). Back those previews out of Friday ($67.7M) and today was +19% over Friday for Infinity War.

With a record breaking saturday this big the best domastic opening weekend of all time is in the bag for sure!! If it’s not with the estimates the actuals will overtake TFA with a few millions. AIW should make at least $250 million this weekend.

Edited by Life goes on

3 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Any chance for Ep IX to exceed 250M in the first three days?

Not a chance.  I'm solidly in the camp that thinks Episode IX is going to be by far the lowest grossing of the new trilogy.  

Han is dead.  Luke is dead.  Carrie Fisher is dead.  Snoke and Phasma are dead (not that they really mattered).  Killing all of them off (essentially) cut a huge chunk out of the audience for the next movie, and quite frankly, it feels more like they are only beginning a story rather than ending one in the next 2 hours 20 minutes.  

What story is left to drive $250m in opening weekend business?  I don't think another Rey vs. Kylo back and forth really intrigues anyone to that point.  I don't think that many are showing up to see what happens with Finn and Rose or the adventures of Poe.  The Force Ghost of Luke isn't going to be in the film for more than a couple scenes.  

Unless they come up with something really, really intriguing I think it might struggle to open north of $175m and will finish in the $500m range.   

I think people are going to be far more interested by whatever the new trilogy is and a few more spin offs like Obi-Wan.  

• Like 8
  • Astonished 1

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

I'm gonna love seeing that $80M number on the Mojo daily charts.

THIS IS SO RELATABLE IT'S SAD.

i just like seeing nice numbers on Mojo's daily chart, it's oddly satisfying. (But then again, people get satisfied by those weird videos of someone cutting kinetic sand, so to each their own)

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Not a chance.  I'm solidly in the camp that thinks Episode IX is going to be by far the lowest grossing of the new trilogy.  

Han is dead.  Luke is dead.  Carrie Fisher is dead.  Snoke and Phasma are dead (not that they really mattered).  Killing all of them off (essentially) cut a huge chunk out of the audience for the next movie, and quite frankly, it feels more like they are only beginning a story rather than ending one in the next 2 hours 20 minutes.  

What story is left to drive $250m in opening weekend business?  I don't think another Rey vs. Kylo back and forth really intrigues anyone to that point.  I don't think that many are showing up to see what happens with Finn and Rose or the adventures of Poe.  The Force Ghost of Luke isn't going to be in the film for more than a couple scenes.  

Unless they come up with something really, really intriguing I think it might struggle to open north of $175m and will finish in the $500m range.   

I think people are going to be far more interested by whatever the new trilogy is and a few more spin offs like Obi-Wan.  

I’ll be there for broomstick kid. 

• Haha 2