CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

3 hours ago, EmpireCity said:

I am most interested to see how all of this affects Deadpool 2 at this point. 

On one hand you could say that the huge popularity of Thanos as a villain will help the movie having Brolin as Cable.  

On the other hand, you could say with the potential that the movie will be very hard to replicate the success of the first movie and potentially poorly reviewd, having Brolin likely giving an inferior performance comparatively could lead people to avoid Deadpool 2 having watched something even better recently.  

Haven't really dug into it yet, but should be interesting to see what happens.  My initial thought is it will be somewhat weird for people and there will be slight fatigue and poorer reviews will lead to quite a decrease for Deadpool 2.  

I'm wondering this too. I haven't been as impressed with the marketing campaign this time around and that was a huge reason for it's success last time. Solo on the other hand keeps looking better and better but that could just be the power of Disney. That featurette that they just released looks really promising.

I think Deadpool has the humor going for it but storywise.....I'm not so sure. (and cool to see you get back your purple - appropriate for Thanos weekend).

15 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

How was Age of Ultron “not an event” when it had one of the top 10 openings and made more than Black Panther worldwide? 

Of top 10 openings, TLJ, IM3, and CW are also not events. They succeeded on the strength of a past event, rather than bringing something new(ish) to the table like TFA, JW, TA, BP, somewhat BatB, and, I’m hoping/guessing, IW.

I think Infinity War has the potential to have better legs than people think. I stress the word potential. Not a 3.0 but wouldn't be shocked if it managed a 2.8. Could it get like a 2.3? Sure it could. We'll have to wait and see. 

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Although it would be a shame if Avatar's dom goes I care more about Titanic's 2.17b worldwide.

It's pretty frustrating seeing everyone taking turns at a shot at the king while he just sits back waiting.

Don't fret so. Avatar's domestic crown already got snatched and Titanic's ww number is going to be eclipsed in the next year or so. That will relieve you of so much worry once it happens. :)

I think Deadpool's legs (2.75x) are the goal for IW, which was an unexpected event in its own right, with its weekend tracking going up and up. It hit a niche with a surprisingly big opening weekend but didn't quite expand enough to get that legendary 3x multiplier.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Talkie said:

Don't fret so. Avatar's domestic crown already got snatched and Titanic's ww number is going to be eclipsed in the next year or so. That will relieve you of so much worry once it happens. :)

actually maybe you're right

as long as Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time I'm fine, pretty sure that one can hold out until dec 2020

20 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

actually maybe you're right

as long as Avatar is the highest grossing film of all time I'm fine, pretty sure that one can hold out until dec 2020

Okay, I’ve got to level — the reason I find your posts a bit tiresome is not that Avatar isn’t impressive, it’s that Avatar is too impressive. Watching a bunch of movies do “incredibly well” Worldwide but not come remotely close to a record just sucks so much excitement out of things that it’s more interesting to think about records for “the box office minus Avatar” than “the box office.”    

If something, anything, I don’t even care if it’s Avatar 2, can come even within 300M I will be incredibly grateful for the proof that Avatar’s record is a real number and not some mirage, fabricated solely to fool people into believing that an impossible number might be possible. So, best of luck, I really hope it does happen, but could you possibly post about this less than 50 times a day? Everyone already knows that nothing holds a candle to Avatar WW, there’s not actually that much more to be said about it.

Edited by Thanos Legion
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BK007 said:

The Incredibles opening to $150m? I'll have to see it to believe it. 

Pixar sequels are always talked up and don't deliver (BO-wise). 

Highly doubt Solo gets that either, unless it's the 4-day or Memorial Day boost. 

The 2 biggest Pixar films are sequels (Dory and TS3). Said this, I do not think I2 will open so high either.

4 hours ago, LonePirate said:

This ought to be fun.

Im confused because he liked black panther. Infinity war is a brainless action flick... Im pretty sure thats the point. Theres barely a storyline & plot. He's right about that. But its better than most brainless action flicks is the thing. Its highly entertaining and somewhat unique in the genre.

Edited by YLF
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, Ithil said:

I loved TLJ, and this guy needs to remove his head from his buttocks.

I like the film as well but he spews nothing but stupid crap. As I said on twitter, some TLJ fans are becoming almost as annoying as many BvS fanboys. They must protect their divisive movie at all costs.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, YLF said:

Im confused because he liked black panther. Infinity war is a brainless action flick... Im pretty sure thats the point. Theres barely a storyline & plot. He's right about that. But its better than most brainless action flicks is the thing. Its highly entertaining and somewhat unique in the genre.

How is it brainless and im pretty sure there was a storyline and a plot but okay

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, YLF said:

Brainless action flick ? Barely a story line and plot ??

WTF. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, YLF said:

The idea that IW is "brainless" because it's action packed/comic booky is silly as hell, that screenplay is absurdly well written as far as actually pulling off 40+ characters and 10 years of history and making it all coherent and flowing well. There was a whole hell of a lot of planning and thought required just to make this film work, let alone work really well.

Edited by Ithil
  • Like 5

No other studio could have done a better job with something like Infinity War. It has plenty of issues but it's as solid as it could have been considering the delicate juggling act the filmmakers had to deal with. Disasters like BvS and JL show just how difficult it is to make films like IW remotely decent. 

2 minutes ago, LaughingEvans said:4 minutes ago, Ithil said:

The idea that IW is "brainless" because it's action packed/comic booky is silly as hell, that screenplay is absurdly well written as far as actually pulling off 40+ characters and 10 years of history and making it all coherent and flowing well. There was a whole hell of a lot of planning and thought required just to make this film work, let alone work really well.

If you don't know the lore, then it comes off as a bunch of action set-pieces. Thats just my opinion and ours both obviously differ. Im not shitting on the movie as you can tell by the last two sentences in the post.

1 minute ago, Rman823 said:

Both Age of Ultron and Civil War are why I now keep my expectations low when it comes to the MCU OW numbers and so far ever since then every other film has exceeded them. 

Both are exceptions. AoU was shit and CW had to deal with the only movie (at that time) that created superhero fatigue, BvS.