CJohn

INFINITY WAR WEEKEND THREAD | Actuals ~ 257.698M OW (RECORD) | 106.334M Friday, 82.131M Saturday (RECORD), 69.231M Sunday (RECORD) | 640.9M Worldwide Opening (RECORD) | Read the Rules on the First Post | SALE NOW LIVE

8 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I haven't, but I'm a big fan of its director, Ralph Bakshi.

It's really good, I was surprised actually cause my dad wanted to watch it cause he watched it back when he was my age but hadn't seen it since and I didn't really want to watch it.

But I really loved the connected-anthology of it, and while it was definitely a quick movie with not enough time to provide as much depth as I would have wanted, it's a pretty well-told story that's got a lot of really interesting elements to it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Also while I was trying to stay off the Internet for IW spoilers I watched this really interesting movie called American Pop, anyone seen it?

I've seen it. It's a good look at popular music throughout the twentieth century, via the story of a Russian immigrant Jewish family. The rotoscope animation and soundtrack are top-notch, and there are some really striking images too. 

I also recommend checking out two others films from Bakshi, Heavy Traffic, and Wizards. Wizards in particular is quite a "trip". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

I've seen it. It's a good look at popular music throughout the twentieth century, via the story of a Russian immigrant Jewish family. The rotoscope animation and soundtrack are top-notch, and there are some really striking images too. 

I also recommend checking out two others films from Bakshi, Heavy Traffic, and Wizards. Wizards in particular is quite a "trip". 

I've heard of Wizards, but haven't seen either film you mentioned. But if the 'trip' taken in American Pop is any indication, I can imagine Wizards would get pretty crazy

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I've heard of Wizards, but haven't seen either film you mentioned. But if the 'trip' taken in American Pop is any indication, I can imagine Wizards would get pretty crazy

It's basically a psychedelic animated fantasy film, with a lot of trippy visuals. It's also really crazy and entertaining. 

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 1

• Community Manager
1 minute ago, Ozymandias said:

its funny how a marvel movie is about to make more money than a SW movie and it won't even have the benefit of december/january legs

lol Rian Johnson you douche

You are acting like this is the first time a Marvel movie has made more than a SW movie. It's not even the first time this year.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

uQfmgVD.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=7869716

(my sole rebuttal coz, why should I be upset when I loved the movie and it was a financial success :lol:)

((And lest anyone thing I'm franchise warring, I hope Infinity War makes all da monies.  More the merrier, I say :)))

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6

Thursday preview #'s for this tentpole are hard to gauge with an estimated screen count between 3,000 and 4,474 tonight.  The amount of prints and showings at each theater should vary.  The MCU has never smashed records with the previews so maybe locations are not preparing for an all night full capacity like Star Wars, Twilight, and Harry Potter.  If Avengers Infinity War continues strong over the night, locations will most likely add showings or maybe order more prints which would grow the Thursday preview #. 

I think the numbers over the Fri-Sun weekend for IW should result from screens that are as booked as any other film that is vying for 100 million + opening weekend.    

• Community Manager
Just now, Ozymandias said:

uQfmgVD.gif

You can blame Rian Johnson all you want but even if you ignore that Star Wars: The Clone Wars only doing $35 million total at the box office means every single Marvel movie has outgrossed a theater released Star Wars branded product, AOTC's box office gross is $302 million. Even if you adjust it to $477 million, other Marvel movies have done more than that. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

its funny how a marvel movie is about to make more money than a SW movie and it won't even have the benefit of december/january legs

lol Rian Johnson you douche

I don't get it.  It's not like Marvel is DC.  They are giants at the box office.  And I wouldn't celebrate it making more than TLJ yet.  Legs will be typical sequel type legs for Avengers.  I don't see it getting more than a 2.4X.

• Haha 2

I mean no disrespect to DC, but let's face it, domestically, nothing touches the Avengers when they are all together, except for SW.

1 minute ago, Thematrixfilm said:

Thursday preview #'s for this tentpole are hard to gauge with an estimated screen count between 3,000 and 4,474 tonight.  The amount of prints and showings at each theater should vary.  The MCU has never smashed records with the previews so maybe locations are not preparing for an all night full capacity like Star Wars, Twilight, and Harry Potter.  If Avengers Infinity War continues strong over the night, locations will most likely add showings or maybe order more prints which would grow the Thursday preview #. 

I think the numbers over the Fri-Sun weekend for IW should result from screens that are as booked as any other film that is vying for 100 million + opening weekend.    

There were $50m+ in pre-sales so I think they were somewhat prepared.  The NYC area had as of late afternoon 661 showings - 200 more than CW or BP - increasing over 200 in the last 3 days.  The Empire 25 alone in NYC had 52 showings

• Like 1